Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Underrated Actors/Actresses

Ok--without skating (and college basketball) I'm bored: So my question to you is this: Whether old or young or middle-aged, and dead or alive, who do you feel are underrated actors/actresses?

My selection is (or I think they still are) a couple:

British actors David Thewliss and Anna Friel. David especially but he is not conventionally handsome so that must make him a difficult fit for producers looking at the bottom line. From what I've read they are also fine stage actors though I've not seen them. I think Anna gets some throwaway parts sometimes but I love that she had comedic skills I've read are often more difficult than dramatic roles.

Tell me who I should be watching for when I'm flipping through all of those cable channels this summer.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Naomi Watts. She was amazing in Mulholland Drive. She hasn't had many roles worthy of her talent since.

Edward Norton. Loved him in The People vs. Larry Flynt, The Illusionist and The Painted Veil (with Naomi Watts).

Agree about David Thewliss.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Among those actors I feel are underutilized on film, Stephen Dillane (Leonard Woolf in The Hours), Kelly MacDonald (Carla Jean in No Country for Old Men), David Paymer (Dan Enright in Quiz Show), and Michael Pennington (the eponymous hero of the 1984 BBC production of Oedipus the King) are my favorites. In Pennington's case, however, all of his best work seems to be on television and in the theater, but I for one will be looking out for his performance as Michael Foot in The Iron Lady.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Naomi Watts. She was amazing in Mulholland Drive. She hasn't had many roles worthy of her talent since.

Edward Norton. Loved him in The People vs. Larry Flynt, The Illusionist and The Painted Veil (with Naomi Watts).
    I LURVE them in The Painted Veil. Beautiful movie

James McAvoy. Great in Atonement, The Last King of Scotland, Becoming Jane, and he was even good in that schlock Wanted.

Ever since Wimbledon, I've quite liked Paul Bettany.

vCash
    Kevin Bacon, Ciaran Hinds, Chris Cooper, Brian Cox, Tim Roth

The following are all from an earlier era and may not really belong in the category of underrated. They just weren't as famous as others of their time. The names may not be familiar, but the faces would be. They all show up on TCM.

Beulah Bondi, Edward Arnold, Donald Crisp, Sterling Holloway, Spring Byington, Gladys Cooper. Also from this era, the marvelous Jack Carson and Joel McCrea, who was a fine comedic actor before his western movie days.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    cillian murphy

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ITA about Kevin Bacon. Love him.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    cillian murphy
    YES. Completely agree.

vCash
    Hugh Bonneville. I always admired how brilliant he was with comedy, and then he blew me away with his cruelty in Daniel Deronda.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Hugh Bonneville. I always admired how brilliant he was with comedy, and then he blew me away with his cruelty in Daniel Deronda.
    I like him, too.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Brittany Murphy
    Juliette Lewis
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Kirsten Dunst. Glad to see her win the major acting prize at this year's Cannes.

vCash
    Totally agree regarding Naomi Watts and Edward Norton.
    Would like to add to that list:

Paul Giamatti, who was absolutely amazing in Sideways & The Illusionist;

Helena Bonham Carter, whom I loved in A Room with a View, The Wings of the Dove & The King's Speech;

Stanley Tucci, who was wonderful in The Devil Wears Prada & Julie & Julia;

Billy Crystal did a great job in Soap (as Jodie, who was probably among the first gay characters on US TV), Throw Momma from the Train & When Harry Met Sally;

Michelle Pfeiffer who was fabulous in The Fabulous Baker Boys, Dangerous Liaisons & The Age of Innocence;

Leonardo DiCaprio deserved an Oscar for his roles in What's Eating Gilbert Grape & Shutter Island.

vCash
    Donnie Wahlberg. Yes, *that* Donnie Wahlberg. He's really very good.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Bruce Willis. He may do a lot of action movies, but the ones where he actually has dialogue and has to do more than just jump from building to building...he's excellent. Unbreakable is one of my favorite with him

Claire Danes is another one. Temple Grandin was great, but not a lot of people saw it and you rarely hear people talking about her acting abilities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Donnie Wahlberg. Yes, *that* Donnie Wahlberg. He's really very good.
    I loved him in Band of Brothers. But I loved just about everyone in that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    ITA! Daniel Deronda was actually my first exposure to him so I was pleasantly surprised by how well he does comedy. I love him as the patriarch in Downton Abbey. He is a really versatile actor.

Actually Daniel Deronda had quite a few actors who I think are underappreciated: Ramola Garai, Jodhi May and Hugh Dancy (he even has a great American accent to boot). Jodhi and Hugh D. also are quite versatile and I would love to see them in more productions.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    When I was thinking about my list I wanted to add Liev Schreiber: the mention of Naomi Watts made me think of him. And I agree about Naomi...she is first rate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Sterling Holloway

He was the voice of Winnie the Pooh, and he also was in a Sonja Henie movie Iceland (the first movie of hers I ever saw).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    cillian murphy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Brittany Murphy
    Juliette Lewis
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Kirsten Dunst. Glad to see her win the major acting prize at this year's Cannes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Helena Bonham Carter, whom I loved in A Room with a View, The Wings of the Dove & The King's Speech;

Stanley Tucci, who was wonderful in The Devil Wears Prada & Julie & Julia;

Michelle Pfeiffer who was fabulous in The Fabulous Baker Boys, Dangerous Liaisons & The Age of Innocence;

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast