drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash

Gil Scott-Heron has died

http://pitchfork.com/news/42659-gil-scott-heron-rip/

Gil Scott-Heron is probably known to most as the performer of the 1970 song/spoken word piece "The Revolution Will Not be Televised". He battled drug addiction for many years (and even though the article doesn't mention cause of death it would not surprise me to be drug related) - but last year's I'm New Here is a great album.

RIP to a legendary and incredibly influential artist.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Oh, my brother used to listen to Revolution over and over and over. He was married to the beautiful Brenda Sykes, but I think that she gave up on him when his drug use got outta hand. So sad, as he was quite brilliant and influenced people like Tupac.

vCash
    Even as a clueless 10 year old, I could appreciate the cleverness of "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised." As a reference librarian I steered students who were interested in the history of rap music to Gil Scott-Heron's body of work. He'll be missed.

vCash
    Saw him live in 1973. Intense cannot begin to describe it. He used to take delight in making the whites in the audience very uncomfortable, even if they didn't have a racist thought in their minds.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Quadless
    vCash
    Wow. I practically wore out the grooves on Bridges back in the day. So many great songs on that album - Under the Hammer, Tuskeeggee 626, Delta Man, We Almost Lost Detroit. He was so deep - I'm both stunned and saddened to learn that he's gone.

ETA: Here's Gil Scott-Heron at what I think is his finest - Delta Man. He had such a rare combination of lyrical, vocal and musical talent.
    Last edited by BittyBug; 05-28-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: To add link
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Quadless
    vCash
    For the four of you who were also fans, I found this New Yorker interview with GSH from 2010 in his NYT obituary. I had no idea he was so plagued by addiction - what a sad conclusion for such a brilliant man.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence