Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Except it isn't just Americans who think her comments are insensitive.
    Oh, definitely. I just mean that perhaps being born in London, Adele does not find her comments are as insensitive as say, someone from Blacksburg, Virginia would. It wasn't a smart thing to say, but I get the impression that she talks to interviewers like she would her friends. I've certainly said things like "I wanted to kill so and so" when I'm explaining how mad I was at someone, but it doesn't mean I literally wanted to commit homicide (well, usually... ). While I wouldn't say that to an interviewer, I also don't get interviewed . I'm sure I'd say something stupid that would be taken the wrong way if I had reporters constantly asking me questions about everything under the moon.

It's more of an off-hand phrase that is just a euphemism for being angry. So to me, although her comments aren't necessarily excusable, they are understandable. YMMV.

vCash
    Who's Adele?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    You pay that much in taxes then you should be able to complain. I don't see the big deal. If I spent a lot of money on a product and it didn't do what it was supposed to I wouldn't just let it go, I would complain and try to get it fixed or replaced.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Ooooh take that Adele.
    Um, that was more trying to console myself than being serious about a boycott (which I'm well aware would have zero impact on her!)

It's true that she did become successful young, it's hard to remember she's only in her early 20's when you hear her songs. And we've all said/done stupid things at that age. Still, I do hope she gains some perspective as she gets older no matter how rich she becomes. And by all means *do* fight for that 4mil to be well spent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    You pay that much in taxes then you should be able to complain. I don't see the big deal. If I spent a lot of money on a product and it didn't do what it was supposed to I wouldn't just let it go, I would complain and try to get it fixed or replaced.
    If you pay any amount in taxes, you shoud be able to complain about how those taxes are being used. The problem is that Adele was speaking about much more than that and it came across as being a bit self-interested and insensitive. There's a recession going on. A lot of people are not going to be very sympathetic about someone who "only" made four million pounds from their album. And I don't have a lot of patience for people who only want taxes going to things that they personally benefit from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    If you pay any amount in taxes, you shoud be able to complain about how those taxes are being used. The problem is that Adele was speaking about much more than that and it came across as being a bit self-interested and insensitive. There's a recession going on. A lot of people are not going to be very sympathetic about someone who "only" made four million pounds from their album. And I don't have a lot of patience for people who only want taxes going to things that they personally benefit from.
    A) How much more was Adele talking about? The quote in post #1 is all there is to go on unless another more in depth article surfaced that I missed. I read about her complaining about the amount of taxes and how she didn't think they were being well spent.

B) She never said she made 4 million anything. She said that is how much her tax was. Not that it is any better but I am wondering if we read the same thing.

C) Where did she say taxes should only to go things she wants? She pointed out a few issues she has, where are you reading that she thinks ONLY her taxes should go to what she wants? That is quite a stretch.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    I've certainly said things like "I wanted to kill so and so" when I'm explaining how mad I was at someone, but it doesn't mean I literally wanted to commit homicide

It's more of an off-hand phrase that is just a euphemism for being angry.
    But she didn't say "I want to kill them" with them being someone specific she was angry at. She said she wanted to go out mow down random people with a machine gun. I don't see that as equivalent at all.

And speaking of things that aren't equivalent.... paying taxes is pretty much nothing like buying a product.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Prick Admin
    vCash

B) She never said she made 4 million anything. She said that is how much her tax was. Not that it is any better but I am wondering if we read the same thing.
    "I'm mortified to have to pay 50%! [While] I use the NHS, I can't use public transport any more. Trains are always late, most state schools are shit, and I've gotta give you, like, four million quid
    If she's paying 50% and that's four million pounds, then it stands to reason (and basic arithmetic) that she gets to keep......

C) Where did she say taxes should only to go things she wants? She pointed out a few issues she has, where are you reading that she thinks ONLY her taxes should go to what she wants? That is quite a stretch.
    See above. She can't/doesn't use the school system or public transport any more so she doesn't want to pay for them, aka she's a stupid bint.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    LOL

Ok, let me try this again.

I was just pointing out that she never said she made 4 million quid because I was questioning how well Allskate even read the quote.

I still don't see how she says her money should ONLY (key word) go to the things she wants it to go to. I felt her point was more of a complaint about those (schools and transport) and how her taxes have done no good so she can no longer use them. I guess I am taking it differently than others.
    -Brian

vCash
    I was just pointing out that she never said she made 4 million quid because I was questioning how well Allskate even read the quote.
    I did the math myself based on her assertion that she paid 50% in taxes. I can read and do math. Yay for public schools.

I still don't see how she says her money should ONLY (key word) go to the things she wants it to go to. I felt her point was more of a complaint about those (schools and transport) and how her taxes have done no good so she can no longer use them. I guess I am taking it differently than others.
    When she was complaining, she said that she uses public health, but doesn't use public transport. That's how I interpreted her comment as in why should she pay so much in taxes if she doesn't use the trains. At least, that's how it came across not only to me, but to others.

Really, a lot of people these days aren't going to have a lot of sympathy for someone who is making as much money as she is, so it's just not a smart PR move.

But, as I said, I think she's young and doesn't stop to think before she speaks. I'm a fan. I just didn't care for this particular statement.
    Last edited by Allskate; 05-30-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I was just out with a group tonight and the conversation turned to Adele briefly as one of her songs came on. I was reminded of this thread/topic and brought it up. Also that she's from London and in her early 20's. It was interesting to see the reactions of people who had a hard time putting together the woman they hear when she sings, the feelings they get when they hear her voice and lyrics with that of a 20something girl from London who giggles like a teen in interviews and whines about taxes I also understood them. I expected a deeper, more aware person with a better understanding of the world. What I see is she's just a young woman with a dose of immaturity waxing on about things she doesn't really understand.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Adele Rants About Tax
    It's a good thing that no member of FSU has ever ranted about anything. Ever...

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It's a good thing that no member of FSU has ever ranted about anything. Ever...

"Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Really, a lot of people these days aren't going to have a lot of sympathy for someone who is making as much money as she is, so it's just not a smart PR move.
    Agreed, so thank you for the warning not to read her interviews.

As long as she doesn't start spouting something worse like racist crap (coughamywinehousecough), I'll stay a fan of her music.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123