Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    La Belle Province
    Age
    36
    Posts
    13,376
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3763
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post

    And let's just clarify; I for sure would go ballistic at a £4m tax bill but I would do it in private and NOT bleat to the press about it in a climate where most Brits would tell her where to go shove it!!
    Agreed. Doesn't she have PR? They must be aghast. Like her music, but that's not smart (and makes me feel better about missing her Philly concert).

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,910
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12302
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    With never-ending benefits abuse scandals these days, I have to also side with her. Just last week my neighbor, who never worked in her life claiming disability, got under investigation for cheating on benefit claims as it turned out she was healthy enough for annual ski jumping in Alps. And don't let me start on some thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians who come to UK just to claim benefits and do not work.
    I know that the UK government has been talking about tightening up their benefits eligibility rules. Has any progress been made on that?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,910
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12302
    UK public transit is FABULOUS compared to that of most of the US. It's all relative.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    569
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I know that the UK government has been talking about tightening up their benefits eligibility rules. Has any progress been made on that?
    All the talk and not much done and I believe never will be.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    569
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    UK public transit is FABULOUS compared to that of most of the US. It's all relative.
    We may be spoiled by American standards but just the other day I spent 30 min stuck between King's Cross and Camden in the ancient London tube So, NO.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    An American Circumstance
    Posts
    4,652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, she's not the first UK pop star or resident to complain about their high tax rates. The gun comment was in poor taste, however, she may not be as sensitive to gun culture as someone who lives in the US.

    I still love her, though

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I love it when people think they don't use their share of government services. It's always the "other people." And ugh at the "I don't use public transit" argument--what, roads were created by Jesus?
    They were provided by Mother Earth, appearing right out of the ground!

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,924
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    36500
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    We may be spoiled by American standards but just the other day I spent 30 min stuck between King's Cross and Camden in the ancient London tube So, NO.
    Sometimes I get stuck in traffic jams. I have also been stuck on assorted public transportation around the world. I'll take being stuck on public transport.

  9. #29
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Sometimes I get stuck in traffic jams. I have also been stuck on assorted public transportation around the world. I'll take being stuck on public transport.
    Me too. Someone else is doing the driving and I always have a book with me.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Re the taxes then (although I think her comment was in poor taste), is 50% normal? I think we (US) max out at 35%, not really sure. But if that is normal for her tax bracket, then surely she saw it coming.
    That's not necessarily true in the US. When I was a freelancer I paid about 50% (that included state income tax, which not all states have) . Self-employment taxes are very high because you have to pay both halves of Social Security and Medicare, stuff a company normally pays.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Still cheering for Mirai and Jeremy
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1271
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    We may be spoiled by American standards but just the other day I spent 30 min stuck between King's Cross and Camden in the ancient London tube So, NO.
    Try living in a city with no subway system and where the buses run every 1/2 hour during peak hours and every hour during non-peak hours and weekends. They're actually scheduled to run that badly. Heaven forbid there's a traffic jam on top of it. To top it off, on Sunday there span of two-three hours where the buses don't run! The crappy mass transit schedule here, which seems to get worse and worse, has made me learn how to drive real fast. Of course that doesn't help much with gas prices being so fecking high!

    Let's just say I would kill to have access to the London mass transit system right now.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

  12. #32
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,102
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Sorry, but I side with Adele. Where is the justice in taxing anyone to that extent? Do we really want to base government policy on pandering to envy? Do we really want another wave of tax-exiles , the 'Brain-Drain' as it was known? Adele has the right to complain because she earned her money.
    My Dad makes enough money that his tax rate is about 50%. He earned it, yes, and has no problems paying his taxes. As far as he's concerned the wealthy should pay more tax. It's not like he can't afford to live due to his taxes, he still has plenty to have a very comfortable lifestyle. And he appreciates that him and his family have access to some pretty decent medical care, relatively good infrastructure and whole ton of other things that we tend to take for granted.

    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    And let's just clarify; I for sure would go ballistic at a £4m tax bill but I would do it in private and NOT bleat to the press about it in a climate where most Brits would tell her where to go shove it!!
    This. Incredibly bad judgement to air her grievances to the press.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    She's paying her taxes. She doesn't want to go to a place and not be taxed. She wants good service for her money.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30411
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    She's paying her taxes. She doesn't want to go to a place and not be taxed. She wants good service for her money.
    Yes, that is what she said. What's your point?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  15. #35
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    She should count herself lucky that she can afford to make her own choices when the majority of Brits cannot.
    Exactly. I bet she didn't complain about the tax system when she was making less money. Now suddenly it's unfair because she's rich. I'd take being rich and paying a lot of taxes

    Also, if she ever gets cancer or some other major illness, she'll get her 4 million's worth of services back pretty quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    My Dad makes enough money that his tax rate is about 50%. He earned it, yes, and has no problems paying his taxes. As far as he's concerned the wealthy should pay more tax. It's not like he can't afford to live due to his taxes, he still has plenty to have a very comfortable lifestyle. And he appreciates that him and his family have access to some pretty decent medical care, relatively good infrastructure and whole ton of other things that we tend to take for granted.
    I'm glad he has perspective. While the amounts the rich pay is higher, those who aren't wealthy are often paying a greater percentage of their disposable income in taxes and have a lot less left over when they are done.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm just tickled that Adele has reached the level of popularity where she people get their knickers in a knot over her comments about taxes.

    If I had to pay 50% of my income in taxes, I'd be pretty pissed too. How old is she? 22? I've heard plenty of 22 years olds say things much more stupid or offensive than this, let alone 22 year old musicians. I really don't see anything wrong with what she said. Taxation is a hot-button issue in many countries, especially in the context of quality of government services provided, pork barrel spending, etc. What's wrong with expressing displeasure about it? It's not like she said "50% of my income is too much, so I'm not going to pay it at all." Not liking laws is not the same thing as not abiding by them. Plenty of people share her views that taxation has run rampant, just like plenty of people disagree.

    Granted, her comments about getting a gun and shooting were not in the best taste, but Americans are hyper-aware of things like this now while others are not. There are things people in other countries are very sensitive to at which Americans wouldn't bat an eyelash. I give her a pass on this one.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Turzynbaeva is the new Gedevanishvili
    Posts
    8,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Agreed. Doesn't she have PR? They must be aghast. Like her music, but that's not smart(and makes me feel better about missing her Philly concert).
    Ooooh take that Adele.

  18. #38
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,154
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    There are things people in other countries are very sensitive to at which Americans wouldn't bat an eyelash. I give her a pass on this one.
    Except it isn't just Americans who think her comments are insensitive.

    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    And let's just clarify; I for sure would go ballistic at a £4m tax bill but I would do it in private and NOT bleat to the press about it in a climate where most Brits would tell her where to go shove it!!
    Taxes, like so many other things, are relative.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  19. #39
    Re-registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Posts
    5,849
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1561
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    I'm just tickled that Adele has reached the level of popularity where she people get their knickers in a knot over her comments about taxes.
    Me too. This is a girl who cancelled her first USA tour to be with her boyfriend. I wouldn't expect that her responses in interviews would be filtered to what is PC to say.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,143
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Exactly. I bet she didn't complain about the tax system when she was making less money.
    She was only 19 when she released her first big album. (Hence the name of the album.) She didn't have much time to struggle and she may just not be very aware of what it is like for the average person. I've known affluent people who were just wildly out of touch with what daily life and financial stresses are like. In her interviews, she has struck me as very young and very unfiltered.

    I don't particularly care for her comments because they do make her seem rather greedy and insensitive. But, that's a different issue from her music. I'm certainly still looking forward to seeing her in concert soon -- even if I did have to think hard about whether I could really afford to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •