Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,518
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    59408
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Just surprised I haven't seen a discussion.
    I just assumed she'd find her way here and then she'd start one of her own....it is all about Oprah!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36617
    She is probably planning on becoming the first woman president of the US. She would probably win too.

    Although isn't Kwan mean to be the first woman president of the US?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,728
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35336
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I worked with a radiology resident who was a TV weather guy in his first incarnation of himself. He worked with Oprah way before she was *Oprah* at a small Chicago TV station. He said she was a really nice person with an incredible work ethic which explains why *she's a brilliant businesswoman.* Bless her heart.
    I wouldn't call WLS "a small Chicago TV station" -- granted it's not WABC in New York, but still. The AM Chicago 1/2 hour show Oprah hosted was definitely a small start (the show was in last place in its time slot when she came on board), but within months it was in first and went national 2-3 years later. I can't believe I know this much about Oprah , but since I'm in Illinois, I probably know as much about Phil Donahue. I know absolutely nothing about Jerry Springer -- except that he was on DWTS and a mayor! somewhere -- and from the promo clips I've seen for his show, I probably should be glad that I don't!

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35596
    Oprah definitely can be annoying but I can't hate on her...I love her self-made, rags-to-riches story so much!

    So, I watched some of the old clips these last few weeks. I forgot about the time Oprah rolled out all that raw meat on the wagon and said it represented the weight she had lost. Looking at all that meat made me really nauseous then...and now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    That part made me want to hurl....especially when Jada Pinkett was onstage, and that patronizing comment she made about Oprah not having children of her own, but being a "mother to millions". Maybe it's me, but I had a real problem with the way she said it, the words and the tone.
    It's not just you; it bugged me too. "Oh Oprah, you failed to squirt a new generation of famewhores out of your hooha like I did, but you're still good people!"
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,844
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    It's not just you; it bugged me too. "Oh Oprah, you failed to squirt a new generation of famewhores out of your hooha like I did, but you're still good people!"
    So true, Cheylana. I can't stand those little brats of hers.

    She totally could have said something else. Totally.

  6. #26
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Oprah has certainly evolved in her TV career. Her first network shows were more of the scandalous variety. Think a much, much milder Jerry Springer. But that was back when those shows were just getting a toehold on TV - much as reality shows are now. The first ones aren't so bad but then everyone tries to outdo each other until the market is saturated and they are soooo bad.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeO View Post
    Just a bunch of hype over someone who thinks she has made more of a difference in the world than she actually has.
    Well from a philanthropic standpoint, the woman has done tons for the world. She's reportedly given away $300-400M of her own money to charity and various causes.

    I'm not surprised to hear she was a hardworker. I don't think you get to be that successful and filthy rich without a tremendous amount of hard work.

  8. #28
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76994
    "Bitter bitches? Table for 24?"

    Last edited by PeterG; 05-27-2011 at 07:06 AM.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    The thing that bugs me about Oprah is her sense of self-importance. A couple of days after 9/11, when I was living in NYC, y'all may remember the huge gathering at Yankee Stadium with Giuliani, the Clintons, etc. Oprah was the host. When she got up and delivered her speech, continuously saying (in overdone fashion) "...AND WE WILL NOT BE MOOOOOOVED," it really made me want to hurl. To me, it came across so fake--I truly believe she was desperately trying to be thought of as the next Martin Luther King, Jr., during one of the biggest crises in American history. Yecch.

    She's a media figure, to be sure: I certainly can't deny she's created her own success. But I have a hard time accessing the deification of this woman. I rarely watch her show, but I tuned in briefly about a month ago. Celebrities were saying, "Oprah--you have changed the face of America!" (Ummmm... how exactly has she done THAT?) And what's more, she said "thank you" with such a lack of humility, as if to say, "damn straight, honey--you may now kiss my feet and then slink away..."

    You can bet this woman will run for public office in the not-so-distant future.
    Last edited by skateboy; 05-28-2011 at 03:55 AM.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Good lord the woman's been leaving forever. She's the house guest from Hell.

    I worked with a radiology resident who was a TV weather guy in his first incarnation of himself. He worked with Oprah way before she was *Oprah* at a small Chicago TV station. He said she was a really nice person with an incredible work ethic which explains why *she's a brilliant businesswoman.* Bless her heart.
    I'm not a huge fan of Oprah's show, but she's always had a generous heart. Most people think that you need to be a conniving SOB stepping on people to be successful, but it's great to hear that Oprah is one of the good guys.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11600
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Well from a philanthropic standpoint, the woman has done tons for the world. She's reportedly given away $300-400M of her own money to charity and various causes.

    I'm not surprised to hear she was a hardworker. I don't think you get to be that successful and filthy rich without a tremendous amount of hard work.
    Sure, she's worked hard. But I agree that she is very self-important (how could she not be?). And, sure she's given tons of money away. If you are worth billions you have way more than you could ever use anyways and giving to charity doesn't make you special or mean you are not greedy - except when compared to equally rich people don't give to charity and are even more greedy. I'll applaud a filthy rich person's charity when they give up their mansion, driver and personal chef, etc., to others in need.

    And I also have an issue with people who think Oprah is the solution to the world's ills. The fact that the wealth of the world is concentrated in the hands of a few is fundamentally problematic. For folks like Oprah to be rich, others have to be poor. Oprah may help some people to become rich, but her help isn't going to really change the world.

    And when wealthy individuals become leaders in charity, it is problematic because they get to decide who is worthy of help and who gets attention. Oprah starts schools for girls in Africa, and good for her. But there are plenty of other girls throughout the world who can't go to school and nobody is helping them. And plenty of other causes which remain ignored.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    5,966
    vCash
    470
    Rep Power
    12551
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    And plenty of other causes which remain ignored.
    Even Bill Gates had to decide, and he chose medical care. I think it's sad when people diss a philanthropist, just because they decide. As stated upthread, I'm no Oprah uber, but it's hard to argue with a contribution to the education of 86,000+ people in the US and Africa. This doesn't include the programs to equip classrooms that are funded by Lowe's and Target, but coordinated through the Oprah Foundation.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am an Oprah fan...part of her generation I guess but I did find the three day good-bye a bit much although I was moved by the Morehouse men who received her scholarships and attended the ceremony with their candles. Look---there is so much greed in the world that when you see a billionaire take philanthropy seriously (and not just a small check given at an event where your dress costs twice as much) then I have to respect that. I think she has done more good than harm even if SHE is over the top at times.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,911
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2529
    I neither hate or love Oprah, so I watched her show once and awhile. I enjoyed her shows with Dr Oz and made a point of watching those. I also enjoyed her shows with Nate. Dr Phil was much better when he was a regular on Oprah. I missed her interview with JK Rowling, so I hope that they repeated it again in the summer.

    Like anything that has been around for a long time, it will be strange when Oprah is not on in the fall, but life will go on.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    near the rink
    Posts
    1,994
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    The thing that bugs me about Oprah is her sense of self-importance. A couple of days after 9/11, when I was living in NYC, y'all may remember the huge gathering at Yankee Stadium with Giuliani, the Clintons, etc. Oprah was the host. When she got up and delivered her speech, continuously saying (in overdone fashion) "...AND WE WILL NOT BE MOOOOOOVED," it really made me want to hurl. To me, it came across so fake--I truly believe she was desperately trying to be thought of as the next Martin Luther King, Jr., during one of the biggest crises in American history. Yecch.

    She's a media figure, to be sure: I certainly can't deny she's created her own success. But I have a hard time accessing the deification of this woman. I rarely watch her show, but I tuned in briefly about a month ago. Celebrities were saying, "Oprah--you have changed the face of America!" (Ummmm... how exactly has she done THAT?) And what's more, she said "thank you" with such a lack of humility, as if to say, "damn straight, honey--you may now kiss my feet and then slink away..."

    You can bet this woman will run for public office in the not-so-distant future.
    i too was thinking - really? you feel that about her? during the whole celeb parade at the show- seemed kinda bandwagon ish to me... I actually did not watch cause i knew it woudl be liek that- but that is the good thinng about online i can read and see the bits i want too with out wasting 2 hours of my life!!

  16. #36
    Two Pot Screamer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Keeper of Prancer's Stupidity
    Age
    50
    Posts
    13,184
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16930
    I have enormous respect for her ability to become what she is from such humble beginnings, and I also admire her work ethic, but the self importance annoys me so much. I suppose it would be really difficult to not feel that way when you`re told over and over again that you`re the most powerful person in the world. None of us can imagine how we would deal with that.

    I recorded Oprah every day forever, but usually ended up watching maybe 3 or 4 episodes a month. I liked her more lighthearted shows about fashion, celebrities and health issues. The rest were just depressing to watch day after day, and I got sick of her need to dish out advice like she was a mental health professional. Her constant interruptions so she could spew her pearls of wisdom left me screaming at my TV for her to shut up for 2 minutes.

    Most of all I will never forgive her for bringing us Dr. Phil.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11600
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Even Bill Gates had to decide, and he chose medical care. I think it's sad when people diss a philanthropist, just because they decide. As stated upthread, I'm no Oprah uber, but it's hard to argue with a contribution to the education of 86,000+ people in the US and Africa. This doesn't include the programs to equip classrooms that are funded by Lowe's and Target, but coordinated through the Oprah Foundation.
    I'm not dissing her for her contributions or saying she hasn't help many, many kids. I'm just questioning the amount of applause that people deserve for giving away money they could never use themselves and how much of a real different it ultimately makes.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35596
    Regarding Oprah's sense of "self-importance," I'd guess she's no different from anyone else in the entertainment industry, or many other industries for that matter. Is she really any more self-important than Michael Jackson was, or Donald Trump Martha Stewart are? I guess the only difference is that she's very much been in the public eye for 25 years with her TV show, other appearances on TV, movie projects, her magazine and now her new TV channel, so over-exposure may be a factor.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    And when wealthy individuals become leaders in charity, it is problematic because they get to decide who is worthy of help and who gets attention. Oprah starts schools for girls in Africa, and good for her. But there are plenty of other girls throughout the world who can't go to school and nobody is helping them. And plenty of other causes which remain ignored.
    Your logic is flawed IMO. It could be worse. These uber rich people could just choose to give NOTHING away to charity and help NO ONE. Some is better than none at all.

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36617
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Regarding Oprah's sense of "self-importance," I'd guess she's no different from anyone else in the entertainment industry, or many other industries for that matter. Is she really any more self-important than Michael Jackson was, or Donald Trump Martha Stewart are? I guess the only difference is that she's very much been in the public eye for 25 years with her TV show, other appearances on TV, movie projects, her magazine and now her new TV channel, so over-exposure may be a factor.
    I think the difference is though not many people would have 3 shows solely dedicated to people fawning over them with over the top and vomit inducing platitudes.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •