Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    I, for one, will be just gutted if we lose PJ. I agree with Claire, she is informative without being intrusive and has so many wonderful things to say about each skater. On the rare occasion she will give slight constructive criticism but always with the opening "As for me.....and I find those interesting. I love Tracy Wilson and think she is "simply the best". I would love to hear more from her - but on second thought - I would love to just have the chance to run around in her brain for ten minutes unrestricted. I love Kurt's skating and I also like his commentating. I find him to know so much and so many fine details that I feel I learn a lot from what he has to say. I was not impressed with the CTV Olympic crew and thought David Pelletier was fine and I did especially like him at SKate Canada with PJ. I hope this is not signs of a very disappointing year or more!
    pug lover

vCash
    It was stated at the AGM that Skate Canada had accepted numerous proposals for coverage and this is the one that was best. They were adamant that they were aware how people liked full event coverage and that this would not be diminished. There is also the bonus of getting primetime coverage which CBC cannot provide.

Commentators will be up to CTV/TSN to hire. I would count on Rod Black being back as he was the host for the gala dinner.

vCash

"Tonight, it's QUAD CITY"

oh Rod...

vCash
    What station is old Debbi Willkes on? Please enlighten a yank.

vCash
    Debbi Wilkes used to commentate for CTV, but she now works for Skate Canada as Director of Business Development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    What station is old Debbi Willkes on? Please enlighten a yank.
    Debbi Wilkes used to do skating commentary on CTV

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    As much as I'd love to have her back in the Commentator seat, we're not getting Debbi back. As she's now Skate Canada's Director of Business Development, it would be a conflict of interest, so sadly not to happen.

I won't be missing PJ. While I'm sure she's a lovely person, she's no commentator. There are people who can transistion after a year or two of working out the bugs/getting used to things, but PJ never really did get there IMO. I mean, after what? Five years now? And she's still doing these loooooong pauses in her sentences during her commentating? That should have disappeared after two years on the job.

Yes, she's informative, but you combine that w/the fact she never really gives any emotion into her voice and I know I'm in minority, but I won't be missing her.

I too wish Chris Cuthbert could do the Skating coverage for CTV. He really was the best of the Network sports guys who got picked to be their Skating guy. He's TSN's Hockey guy, so that's not happening, but it would have been lovely. You could tell he really did enjoy skating and gave it the respect it deserved as well, but almost never gets from the Network people that get picked for that job.

I don't doubt Rod loves Skating, as it just beams out of him during a broadcast. It's just...Well...It's already been said to death by others in the thread, so why repeat what's been already said.

But...Haven't seen this one yet and it's my favourite of the Rod-isms over the years....

During coverage of 98 Worlds (I think...It was either 98 or 99 Worlds) and the Free Dance...

And when we come back for the break, we'll have Polivas and Vanagas
    Sorry for the mis spelling of his name, as it's been awhile since I've had to type it in a post. For those who are new skating fans and aren't aware...That's one person.

Sigh...Guess I'll have to find a bucket to fill w/sponges for Skate Canada and Canadians coverage so I can throw something at the TV w/out hurting it...

vCash
    Aragorn, you have no idea how often I refered to the team of Povilas/Vanagas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Aragorn, you have no idea how often I refered to the team of Povilas/Vanagas.
    It was Gorsha and Sur for me.

vCash
    rod does not love sakting he loves elvis ( and now patrick) as long as he varies his fave phrases a little i can live
    debbie was also involved (minimally) on skatebuzz- which was awesome! i loved th format of being able to text in and such- and the full event coverage even if they did not man the camera for teh practices and some lower skaters!!
    i wonder how ctv will handle providing full event coverage ( i will be annoyed if it is some additonal channel tht i dont get!!!)

vCash
    One of my favourite moments at the Olympics was Rod's elation during/after Kim skated. And that "holy wow that was awesome" tone after V/M nailed their OD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    To this day I always have to think about this one.

vCash
    Hasn't Debbie done some regular Skate Buzz commentary? Anyone who misses her, if you get a chance to attend a competition, it would be worth picking up the mini radio, maybe? I liked Debbie a touch less than Barb, but I enjoyed her Ice Time show when I'd catch it. Talk about biased, mind you, but a great chance to see old Kurt or B&K vids.

I remember when a huge airplane had an emergency landing off the 401 back in '04 or '05. Debbie had been driving by it, and called in to CTV, reporting what she saw until they got a unit there. Sounded very professional vs. some other johnny on the spot interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    Hell, Victor Kratz called D&W Meryl & Davis during the Olympics at one point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I won't be missing PJ. While I'm sure she's a lovely person, she's no commentator. There are people who can transistion after a year or two of working out the bugs/getting used to things, but PJ never really did get there IMO. I mean, after what? Five years now? And she's still doing these loooooong pauses in her sentences during her commentating? That should have disappeared after two years on the job.

Yes, she's informative, but you combine that w/the fact she never really gives any emotion into her voice and I know I'm in minority, but I won't be missing her.
    To be fair, commentating for live stream is a bit different than commentating for a network. PJ puts in a lot more hours than network commentators and her commentary is less structured because she has more time. I find her very knowledgeable and don't begrudge her long pauses.

vCash
    I don't have a problem with livestream being different . I always enjoyed PJ's pared down coverage. It let you concentrate on the skating, let you hear the music ( mostly),gave helpful technical information , and bonus ! no fluff pieces.

It was when CBC started to try to make her more like a regular commentator that I started liking her less. Then at Canadians , I thought it was pretty pathetic that she seemed to be going out of her way to refute critiques that had been levelled at L/R skaters on discussion boards,on fashion blogs, etc. It was as if she had a check list of things to counter and tried to get Josee to agree, or at least play along ...kind of sad, really.

vCash
    The earliest sport commentators came over from radio and in radio there can be no "dead air time" in radio, so these guys talked incessantly. They also had to paint a verbal picture for their audience who couldn't see what was going on. These early radio guys set the standard for PBP in all sports which, unfortunately, continues to this day. We don't need people to paint a verbal picture for us because we can SEE the picture. In figure skating, where the athletes are performing to music, the last thing we need is for someone to talk over the music and disrupt the performance.

The very thing I appreciate about PJ's commentary is that she doesn't talk incessantly and only speaks when there is something to say, keeping her comments to the minimum. Of course I prefer live events where there are no commentators. I don't need someone to tell me what jump was done or whether it was done well or not. YMMV.

vCash
    I like PJ but when she has guest commentators, i had to tune out. Canadians with Josee was painful. I do really enjoy Tracy Wilson so I hope they keep her.

i would love if Jennifer Robinson would commentate; she had her own show at one point but with her new baby and her duties as a councilor, she may not have the time.

vCash
    I liked PJ. I hate endless chatter to fill in the blanks, and I don't care what say for instance Elvis's vision of skating was, or what Patrick had for breakfast. Just carry the skating and point out relevant moves, deductions etc.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    I liked PJ. I hate endless chatter to fill in the blanks, and I don't care what say for instance Elvis's vision of skating was, or what Patrick had for breakfast. Just carry the skating and point out relevant moves, deductions etc.
    I agree. My recording of the Bold coverage for the SD went into error mode 1 minute into the broadcast, and I didn't see this in time to get the encore. When I went to edit the CBC hour-long coverage, I was taken aback by how loud and frantic it was, and I like Tracy Wilson. It's like the difference between going to a hockey or basketball game in the 60's and 70's and hearing the organ lead the crowd vs. the amplified non-stop noise assault in arenas since.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    New TV format to be unveiled at Canadian championships

Skate Canada will condense all the action of three senior disciplines into one show on Saturday night that will allow the CTV network to show the final groups only from the women’s, ice dancing and pairs events.
    The lower-ranked groups of skaters will compete during the afternoon, but will not be shown on television. And those who pay to watch them will not know who won the event until the evening.
    Not a fan of this idea at all.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast