Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Both networks have their pros and cons. I don't care as long as we get to see the skating. I like PJ, I like Tracy. But all in all, I prefer minimal talk and lots of coverage and very little in the way of fluff pieces. We have had it good for the last few years, I hope it continues.

vCash
    I've always liked CTV's fluff pieces better than CBC's, so as long as they include full coverage in their deal, whether it's online or on additional networks, I'm happy!

I don't know if Debbi Wilkes would be available to commentate for CTV again, since she works for Skate Canada directly now. I believe she took an official role with Skate Canada after CTV's last contract ended. I think Tracy Wilson's commentary is some of the best in the business and I have a soft spot for Rod Black, even if he says some eyeroll-worthy things.

I heard at Nationals this year that Skate Canada is very committed to continuing to expand SkateBuzz's video coverage, so I'd imagine that they're keeping this in mind when making TV deals. I hope so!

vCash
    And so it begins……http://twitter.com/#!/SkateCanada/st...81927833698304

http://lockerz.com/s/105360541 Rod Black called Patrick Chan the 'heavyweight' world champion as he thanked Skate ... http://tmi.me/aJKCM
    At least he made it to world champion before Rod could curse him with the label “the next one”.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    I'm in a minority in that I heart Rod Black, particularly his passion for the sport. Though I'll admit that this feeling has been strongly influenced by my experience of seeing him at 2001 Nationals in Winnipeg. His wife had just had a baby and during a break he was sitting on the floor with her in the arena, all his attention on the baby. I thought that was just amazing, as most men in his position would probably just leave the wife and baby at home. For example, I can't imagine Don Cherry doing the same thing.

I did find that Rod demonstrated a lack of CoP knowledge during the Olympics, but I'm sure he'll learn more about it once he's commentating again.

And I don't particularly care for Scott Russell, although he has gotten much better since he started, and I can't stand Browning's commentary. He talks too much and is an egomaniac IMO.

But now here we go again - wondering how much coverage we're going to get and who will provide it. . . .

I'll add that I can't imagine that CTV would hire Elvis to commentate. The one year he commentated (2003 or 2004) he went on and on about Goebel's quad and how Goebel should have placed higher. My sense was that he was seen as too free with his opinions and the networks will be cautious about that - the Toller Cranston debacle (when he sued CBC) has not been forgotten.

Plus, Elvis made a very negative impression during the Olympics with his comments about 'manly' skating and 'boring' lyrical male skaters. This is basically dissing the sport, a quality no network would want in a commentator.

Would love to see Buttle included on the CTV team and I've enjoyed Jamie and David's commentary. But Jennifer Robison should stick to politics and Liz Manley should stick to her handsome young husband and her students.

vCash
    A friend of mine heard Victor Kraatz speak at an event near the end of the Olympics. Apparently his training for commentating consisted of going to the CTV studios in Toronto where they set him up with tapes from the last time CTV covered skating and asked him to comment. He told them that skating had changed so much since then that the tapes weren't very relevant.

vCash
    I loved CBC/Bold coverage. I loved having every skater from every discipline, live. I'm willing to bet big $$$ that they will rehire Tracey Wilson but I will miss PJ if she isn't part of their package. For those who said they didn't do much for 4CC, what are you talking about. I remember watching the entire competition live on my TV - although it might have been off the live computer feed wired into my big screen. I love technology!!!

CTV used to broadcast all of the skaters from Worlds, live, but that was back in the days when the Bassett family owned the network and Johnny Esaw was head of CTV Sports.

I am really unhappy about the return of Rod Black. I'd reached the point with him that every time I heard his voice, it was like chalk going up a blackboard backwards.

vCash
    Rod Black vs Scott Russell?

Probably Black. Russell pushes the moment too much. Black may know less, but he feels more genuine.

But a team of Pelletier and Wilson would be best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Rod Black vs Scott Russell?

Probably Black. Russell pushes the moment too much. Black may know less, but he feels more genuine.

But a team of Pelletier and Wilson would be best.
    Regardless of the host network, there will always be a professional announcer involved. Black has filled that role for CTV for many years now (since Johnny Esaw ended his on-air involvement, if I'm not mistaken); Russell has taken that role at CBC recently.

IMO the best "network guy" was Chris Cuthbert at CBC. He did his homework, and was always professional. He respected the sport of figure skating, and never talked through his hat, like Black often does.

vCash
    Oh, I know. I think Black, Pelletier and Wilson would be ideal.

Don't know Cuthbert

vCash
    Yes ,I thought Chris Cuthbert was fine..the main thing ( a plus) for me was, he didn't get in the way.

The worst thing about Rod was his gag-worthy hyperbole..part of which was his feeling skaters needed a nickname . I can't forget this episode from early in Plushenko's career.( It was at the time Pavel Bure was playing in the NHL , and he'd been dubbed " the Russian Rocket " in the press for a year or two.) So leading up to Plushy's skate there was Rod proclaiming " They call him the Russian Rocket.."..No, Rod , they don't ! Wrong guy, wrong sport... ( How could he think we wouldn't know ? Bure was one of the most talked about athletes in the country , and did he think Canadians didn't watch hockey ? )

Then, a competition or two later , or maybe even the next season , it was.. " He's been called the Russian Rocket.."
    Only by you ,Rod, you ninny !

( In italics - the screams of indignation emanating from my living room at the time. )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Yes ,I thought Chris Cuthbert was fine..the main thing ( a plus) for me was, he didn't get in the way.
    Agreed. I liked the fact that Cuthbert was low-key, professional, and did his homework. He didn't try to create drama or hype things up, which was fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post

The worst thing about Rod was his gag-worthy hyperbole..part of which was his feeling skaters needed a nickname . I can't forget this episode from early in Plushenko's career.( It was at the time Pavel Bure was playing in the NHL , and he'd been dubbed " the Russian Rocket " in the press for a year or two.) So leading up to Plushy's skate there was Rod proclaiming " They call him the Russian Rocket.."..No, Rod , they don't ! Wrong guy, wrong sport... ( How could he think we wouldn't know ? Bure was one of the most talked about athletes in the country , and did he think Canadians didn't watch hockey ? )

Then, a competition or two later , or maybe even the next season , it was.. " He's been called the Russian Rocket.."
    Only by you ,Rod, you ninny !

( In italics - the screams of indignation emanating from my living room at the time. )
    That sort of thing drove me nuts too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    For those who said they didn't do much for 4CC, what are you talking about. I remember watching the entire competition live on my TV - although it might have been off the live computer feed wired into my big screen. I love technology!!!
    This year CBC devoted on year to 4CCs and if Tessa and Scott hadn't competed, they probably wouldn't have covered it at all. There was no coverage on BOLD and so far as I know, no on-line feed.

We got full coverage of the event in 2010, IIRC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    A friend of mine heard Victor Kraatz speak at an event near the end of the Olympics. Apparently his training for commentating consisted of going to the CTV studios in Toronto where they set him up with tapes from the last time CTV covered skating and asked him to comment. He told them that skating had changed so much since then that the tapes weren't very relevant.
    It was more than obvious that CTV threw their figure skating commentators into the Olympics without much preparation beforehand and it showed. I certainly don't blame the skater commentator I blame the network. I much prefer CBC and if I have to listen to Rod Black I think I'm back to losing interest in the sport again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Why in the world are people excited! No way CTV and TSN will air skating in their entirety like CBC and BOLD have. This sucks!
    CTV used to air all the skating years ago. Maybe they will again?

vCash
    They covered all the competitions. That's not the same as covering all the *skaters*.

Crossing fingers TSN2 gets used the way Bold was. The unfortunate thing for me is that my family's Videotron cable sub that I can watch via Slingbox has Bold but not TSN/TSN2, and I doubt they'd add it if the cost is anything significant (I bet it'll require some sports package, meh).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    IMO the best "network guy" was Chris Cuthbert at CBC. He did his homework, and was always professional. He respected the sport of figure skating, and never talked through his hat, like Black often does.
    Cuthbert was fantastic - the best part about him was that he was generally quiet during the programs. He'd ask good questions before and after the programs, but would generally say very little during. It was like heaven. Given that he now works for TSN, it would be great if they'd asign him to skating, but I'm not holding my breath, as I'm sure it will be Rod Black. The upside of Black is that while he may have a lot of truly gagworthy expressions, it's obvious that he truly loves and respects skating. I can forgive a lot from someone that likes the sport that much.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I can forgive a lot from someone that likes the sport that much.
    If he likes the sport that much, he should show that by being respectful of it when he's commentating. I will be very happy if I never have to hear "30 SECONDS TO GO!!!!!" or "QUAD!!!!!" or "THE NEXT ONE!!!!" or babbling throughout the program ever again.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I'll really miss PJ's commentary. I appreciated the fact that it was low key, informative, positive, and she is very knowledgable. There was no yelling or ranting. I like the fact that she had something positive to say about all the skaters even the ones who are not the greatest. I also feel that she made an effort to be unbiased in her dialogue. I will miss her if CTV doesn't pick her up for themselves.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Cuthbert was fantastic - the best part about him was that he was generally quiet during the programs. He'd ask good questions before and after the programs, but would generally say very little during. It was like heaven. Given that he now works for TSN, it would be great if they'd asign him to skating, but I'm not holding my breath, as I'm sure it will be Rod Black.
    Cuthbert does NHL play by play, I doubt that he would be moved from that.

Editted to add: Does it say anywhere that CTV has the rights to Worlds? I read that the have the rights for Skate Canada and Canadians.
    Last edited by algonquin; 05-30-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Does it say anywhere that CTV has the rights to Worlds? I read that the have the rights for Skate Canada and Canadians.
    No, there is no mention of anything other than "domestic" events.

Stay tuned....
    Can't skate but love to watch

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast