Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The Olympic commentators were only under contract for the Olympics so they are not required to bring them back.
    There's actually no reason they couldn't get Tracy under a contract again as a freelancer leaving her available for worlds as well.

I can't imagine Skate Canada would have gone for this team if live feeds weren't going to be an option. There are 3 networks available to get it out there.

This is probably not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    I liked PJ much better earlier on when she just gave helpful technical commentary.Now that she's become more of a personality.. I don't like her quite as well . If she has someone else on with her she's a little too prone to direct or lead them , like she's trying to put words in their mouths.
    That was very noticeable when she hosted with Josee Chouinard. But on her own she does a nice job.

vCash
    Exactly, flowerpower . I'm glad others noticed.The dance event was particularly weird.

On another front ,going back to the last time CTV and TSN had regular coverage.. Dave Randorf did the best backstage interviews.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-26-2011 at 05:37 PM.

vCash
    Paris Hilton and Mel Gibson could do commentary. I just want complete coverage!

American Idol, CSI, Law and Order, Dancing With the Stars, Gray's Anatomy-whatever the show, they will always take precedence.

TSN2 gives me some hope, but as per any regular sports channel, what happens if the random basketball/soccer/hockey/football/baseball game goes into overtime? We will miss the early groups til the game completes. With BOLD, you never had that concern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    My guess is that CBC will have Worlds, 4CC's and the GPF and PJ too.
    Wasn't that the case about 10 years ago? CTV had the Skate Canada broadcast rights and the CBC had the ISU broadcasts. I hope that CTV does not bring back their Olympic team. From my understanding, Tracy Wilson is freelance, they should sign her and bring in Jeff Buttle, he understands COP.

Edit to add: I hope that CTV/TSN folks start reading this board.

vCash
    CTV is owned by Bell Media so expect a lot of stuff online, or somehow geared to Bell customers. I also expect some sort of paywall for if if you're not on a Bell platform and that would be entirely Bell's doing, I don't like them very much as an internet provider so I am biased. That's my negative view of the deal. It's also interesting how the field of play has changed, four years ago CTV ended the broadcast relationship quite suddenly, and it was a scramble for CBC to pick it up. Now with the popularity of online viewers, there's a viable market. Much of it Skate Canada has developed, with SkateBuzz, and you can thank the CPC judging for that since most of the domestic events are just a feed of the replay camera, it's not costing extra for more cameras.

It's worth looking at their new annual report 2011 annual report (this link was sent to me and doesn't work on my workplace computer for some reason but I read it at home) and see how they talk about their digital strategy and also look at the numbers they list for online viewing. The association has also incurred expenses relating to all of this but the pay off is there if they've got broadcasters paying for rights again.

I knew earlier that this contract was to be announced, at that time they wouldn't say the broadcaster but there were quite a few interested parties. Also, Skate Canada will continue to online stream local events through SkateBuzz, basically anything with CPC judging is easy to stream, (can't wait for the Greater Podunk Ice Princess Invitational, eh?) and lastly, they said that Skate Canada has the rights to all of the ISU events for the next year (or more). I don't know how it's going to be delivered, but issues such as not being able to see competitions because the rights weren't available to Canada won't happen next year.

Lastly, I expect competition schedules to change. In the past 4 years for domestic events, Saturday events were scheduled around the HNIC broadcast. As much as I love CBC, it was a complete pain to be at the actual arena and know that scheduling was done for the sake of skaters, but for TV - that will never change of course, but we might see some great skating events lined up to go head to head with HNIC.

I'm a bit sad that BMO is no longer a sponsor. It's gone from Royal Bank to Bank of Montreal, and BMO did support the CanSkate program quite a bit. Maybe another financial institution will step up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    That was very noticeable when she hosted with Josee Chouinard. But on her own she does a nice job.
    I found she was trying to keep Josee somewhat in check. Sometimes PJ works too hard to get her commentating partner to talk, period, as well. I don't tend to hold it against her if she winds up with a bad partner.

vCash
    I will miss PJ & the fantastic, complete event coverage that Bold gave us, but I have my fingers crossed for TSN2. I guess I'd better make sure I have it in my Bell package. I certainly won't miss Scott Russell or Brenda Irving. I don't look forward to having to deal with Rod Black again.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minx View Post
    It's worth looking at their new annual report 2011 annual report (this link was sent to me and doesn't work on my workplace computer for some reason but I read it at home) and see how they talk about their digital strategy and also look at the numbers they list for online viewing.
    I'll have to take a look at that later tonight. Thanks for the link.

I'm a bit sad that BMO is no longer a sponsor. It's gone from Royal Bank to Bank of Montreal, and BMO did support the CanSkate program quite a bit. Maybe another financial institution will step up.
    BMO's ended their sponsorship? Wow...That's going to be a big loss to SC, as they did a *lot* over the years.

vCash
    Near the end I found PJ Kwong was doing way too much talking during programs. I don't know if the CBC brass told her to do so, but it was too much.

I just hope Tracy Wilson will be on CTV's coverage.

I read the annual report. Skate Canada is trying to spin it positively, but it sounds like they are really struggling to get sponsors. I heard a rumour in Victoria that BMO was dropping out. What I heard is that the year before (I guess 09-10 season?), SC was doing so much work trying to woo HomeSense back that they were ignoring BMO (supposedly BMO was not impressed about this).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think that near the end PJ was exhausted, having been on the air with little break for six-eight hours for four days in a row.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I meant near the end as in this entire season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Good point.

TSN2 is showing tons of live coverage of the French Open so I'm hopeful they'll be able to do the same thing with skating.

I'm just happy I'll get to see more of Rod Black.
    Really? I thought they were pretty awful with the Olympic coverage considering the team CBC had .. that's really too bad. I enjoyed the CBC much better than CTV and Elizabeth Manley.

vCash
    Near the end I found PJ Kwong was doing way too much talking during programs. I don't know if the CBC brass told her to do so, but it was too much.

I just hope Tracy Wilson will be on CTV's coverage.

I read the annual report. Skate Canada is trying to spin it positively, but it sounds like they are really struggling to get sponsors. I heard a rumour in Victoria that BMO was dropping out. What I heard is that the year before (I guess 09-10 season?), SC was doing so much work trying to woo HomeSense back that they were ignoring BMO (supposedly BMO was not impressed about this).
    Traditionally the banks like to change their sponsorship every so many years though (I worked for RBC).

vCash
    Ctv showed every single skater during the olympics except the 1st group of the OD. CBC barely showed the last two groups of each discipline.

Why are people so obsessed with commentary? Quantity over quality! I would rather Bill o Reilly commentate if it meant an extra fluff piece!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I would rather Bill o Reilly commentate if it meant an extra fluff piece!
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I've never been a fan of PJ's, she always seems so nonchalant about everything unless it's Patrick Chan. I find her a bit boring.

vCash
    I think we might be ok for online live streams with CTV, because I recall they streamed the whole Olympics live online on tsn.ca, so I'm guessing they will probably do that with the skating..

vCash
    I wonder if the move to CTV would help the sponsor situation. CBC is a pre-eminent station, but Bold is not. I know plenty of Canadians who've never even heard of it, let alone watch it. TSN has fantastic name brand recognition with Canadians, even if it is TSN2. And while I doubt CTV would air much prime-time, it's not as if CBC pushed skating to the top of the list on the main network either.
    Last edited by Andora; 05-27-2011 at 01:36 AM.

vCash
    I agree Andora. I see it as a positive. CTV/TSN are in a better situation for sponsors and promoting the sport. TSN2 I'm sure will have plenty of coverage and hopefully not just 1hr. at 2pm and 1hr. at midnight on the main network because realistically not many skating fans outside of the hardcore ones even know that BOLD exists let alone covers figure skating and on the main network you don't get much. I'm confident CTV can do better for the sport.
    As it stands now if I'm reading it right it's only Skate Canada and Canadians so I'm willing to give it a chance. It sounds like they want to try to bring figure skating back to the forefront in Canada and I am all for that. Considering the last few years we were wondering if skating would air at all I'm happy.
    Commentators? Victor Kraatz I love ya but never again. Rod Black is love/hate but I'm fine with it. He really seems like he loves skating so why not. Tracy is always a winner and I'd like to have Debbie Wilkes back, Barb not so much. Love to see Buttle give it a shot!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast