Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Good point.

TSN2 is showing tons of live coverage of the French Open so I'm hopeful they'll be able to do the same thing with skating.

I'm just happy I'll get to see more of Rod Black.
    TSN 2 often shows all of curling events starting from the first draw...even draws when canada isnt playing. Hopefully they will show lots of live stuff for skating as well

vCash
    Really disappointed, but I hope they will show as much as did Bold, CBC and cbcsports.ca I will miss CBC's team if they are not engaged to TSN-CTV.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I will miss PJ

Maybe they will get her to do complete live coverage on TSN2 like we had on Bold. Fingers crossed.

Used to love Rod Black back in the day. Then he reappeared for the Olys. Just dire. Truly annoying. If I had a dollar for every time he said Patrick Chan during the mens competition (both short and long) I'd be a very rich woman And I'm a Chan fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Do people expect CTV to air skating in primetime instead of American Idol?
    Are Skate Canada and Canadians on primetime on the nights American Idol are on?

ETA: I don't watch AI, but I assume it's not on TV on a Thurs, Friday or Sat night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    I don't want to listen to Rod Black - just last night I put in a tape of the Olympic figure skating gala - and had to listen to him. Annoying. I like PJ.

Maybe I'm just feeling cranky at the moment.
    What about Barbara Underhill?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Do people expect CTV to air skating in primetime instead of American Idol?
    Skate Canada doesn't conflict with AI. Canadians might for one or two nights depending on the schedules

vCash
    Barb Underhill is a skating expert, not a professional announcer - they always have to have a network person too. Rod Black is the network guy CTV always assigns to skating, so CTV will have Rod Black doing the broadcasts with 1 or 2 skaters. Problem is...Rod thinks he's a skating expert, but he isn't. If he'd just ask questions of the experts, or better yet shut up, it would be fine - but he blathers on about stuff he knows nothing about. I'm sure he's a very nice person, and I think he genuinely likes skating, but in all the years he's covered the sport he's learned virtually nothing about it. The man annoys me no end. I expect CTV will go with the commentators they had during the Olympics: Sale & Pelletier, Liz Manley etc. Rod loves Elvis, so they may hire him to do the men, in which case all they'll talk about is the quad because that's all either of them think is important.

vCash
    Hoping for the best but expecting not all the changes will be for the better. I know we were almost always on tenterhooks most of the season with CBC as to whether on not they would cover certain events. This year very limited Four Continents. I know they found it expensive so this isn't really the biggest of surprises.

Not a Rod Black fan as he ruined skating for me by going on ad naseum about Mr Stojko - all Elvis all the time, even when he wasn't skating. Hopefully he will not do the same with Patrick. The lad already has enough haterzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1andonly View Post
    TSN 2 often shows all of curling events starting from the first draw...even draws when canada isnt playing. Hopefully they will show lots of live stuff for skating as well
    Actually this is one of my first concerns when I saw this thread as there is often a conflict with Figure Skating and Curling World Championships on at the same time. Although possibly we are still talking CBC having the World Figure Skating so I guess I will just have to try to be patient.

The way we watch skating around the world has changed a lot since CTV last had these events so there is every possibility they will have a different approach now too.

I was in seventh heaven with PJ and the complete coverage LIVE. However, if CTV does not plan to cover all the skaters then hopefully Skate Canada will pick up the slack on SkateBuzz at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    I will miss PJ
    Me too. It would be great if TSN2 were to hire her.

RE: Rod Black...
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Then he reappeared for the Olys. Just dire. Truly annoying. If I had a dollar for every time he said Patrick Chan during the mens competition (both short and long) I'd be a very rich woman And I'm a Chan fan.
    Right, but I remember him being even worse in the past, especially when he first started and knew nothing about skating (and it showed, lol! He's improved a bit, but still....) Plus he's the master of lines like, "Elvis has left the building...."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The man annoys me no end. I expect CTV will go with the commentators they had during the Olympics: Sale & Pelletier, Liz Manley etc. Rod loves Elvis, so they may hire him to do the men, in which case all they'll talk about is the quad because that's all either of them think is important.
    I agree about Rod.

Coming back to Barb Underhill, though...I really enjoyed her commentary for CBC - professional, informative, good insights. I would enjoy hearing from her again.

I hope they look beyond the Oly commentators. Victor Kraatz, in particular, seemed lost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    Coming back to Barb Underhill, though...I really enjoyed her commentary for CBC - professional, informative, good insights. I would enjoy hearing from her again.
    Barb was devastated when they didn't renew her commentator contract.... then she had to look for career opportunities elsewhere. Is she still teaching skating to NHL hockey players? Wonder if she has kept up with figure skating news, but I am sure she can pick it up in a short time.

vCash
    Rod Black! His excitement for the sport was infectious back in the day. And I like him much better than CBC's non-skating commentator, whoever that is. I'll miss PJ, though I hope they nab Tracy Wilson to join Rob in the booth. She is fantastic and they made a decent team back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    The way we watch skating around the world has changed a lot since CTV last had these events so there is every possibility they will have a different approach now too.
    This, exactly. I'm not sure how it will all go, but I'm sure CTV has taken how skating viewing has changed into consideration.

If TSN2 is used a lot, I'll have to shift my cable package around to accomodate it. Damn it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Does this mean no Skatebuzz or Skatebuzz-like coverage, showing the whole feed and leaving in archives to re-watch?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I always adored Rod and his dorky love of the sport. As for experts, Tracy was always brilliant, but I also think that Jeff Buttle would do a spectacular job as a commentator, and hope they consider him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I also think that Jeff Buttle would do a spectacular job as a commentator, and hope they consider him.
    for sure he gave great insights during the 2010 Olympics

vCash
    Does this mean no Skatebuzz or Skatebuzz-like coverage, showing the whole feed and leaving in archives to re-watch?
    That was my exact question, although they should still be doing Junior Canadians, I think. There shouldn't be a conflict with CTV there.

Overall, I'm not happy. I can't see CTV et al matching what Bold, in particular, has done.

Potentially getting Barb Underhill back would be a positive. At least we'd know from her predictions who is going to be Olympic champion or a world champion three or four years before it happens. She was uncanny in her ability to see innate ability early on in a career.

vCash
    Mixed bag , I guess.. I agree Victor seemed lost..David is always excellent..Jennifer Robinson seemed dry and maybe a bit pompous..Liz Manley was fun, but a bit of a loose cannon. Oh , Please, Lord ,not Elvis !

I used to love it when Deb ( and to a lesser degree, Tracey ) would give Rod the cold, silent pause after he'd said something really dumb. But I doubt we'd get Deb, considering her position with Skate Canada.

I'll now be checking Skatebuzz periodically for news..During the Skatebuzz coverage of Canadian Jr.s., Deb was saying that they were looking to expand Skatebuzz' coverage and had lots of ideas on ways to expand skating coverage, with the goal of expanding viewership and growing the sport...and that the response to Skatebuzz had been so overwhelmingly positive, they felt very encouraged. She couldn't say more at the time, but said to expect some exciting developments in future. Considering her part in developing Skatebuzz and her former connection with CTV, may be we can expect some nice dovetailing.

It didn't work out too badly before , when CBC and CTV had split coverage , and I can't imagine CTV wouldn't have some kind of expanded coverage a la Bold , given it's success.

I liked PJ much better earlier on when she just gave helpful technical commentary.Now that she's become more of a personality.. I don't like her quite as well . If she has someone else on with her she's a little too prone to direct or lead them , like she's trying to put words in their mouths.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    oh I HOPE so!!!!! i love skatebuzz both on line and in the arena!! and i think poeple are dreaming to think that tsn and ctv will show any length of the comp- we will get highlights with tht top canadians and maybe the last flight if we are lucky-

vCash
    As long as they have online coverage like CBC does, I'll be one happy camper.

I like Rod Black way better than Scott Russell (makes my blood boil when he talks during performances).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by venja View Post

I like Rod Black way better than Scott Russell (makes my blood boil when he talks during performances).
    Scott Russell, meh. Before the CBC broadcast, he stood in front of the Bolshoi Theatre, which is nearing the end of reconstruction, and said that it was home to the "world's greatest ballet company" and that all of the worlds greatest dancers, including Baryshnikov and Nureyev, danced there.

While Baryshnikov and Nureyev might have danced on the stage as guest artists or part of galas, Baryshnikov and Nureyev danced for the Kirov Ballet in St. Petersburg, not the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow. When critics speak of a Russian company being the worlds greatest ballet company, they usually mean the Kirov (now again called the Mariinsky) Ballet, not the Bolshoi.

And even if he didn't write the script, he seems to have no clue that it's wrong.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast