Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey2 View Post
    I always felt sorry for her because her federation wasn't much interested in singles skaters at that ti.
    The Soviet Federation would have gladly politiced away higher ordinals in Ladies singles for dance and pairs ordinals.

vCash
    Irina carried so much speed that she is unimitable. Her upper body was so jerky, especially her arms and neck. Leonova's skating rhythm is different. She doesn't have the jerky head and arms (or Slutskaya's bouncy edges). She has far less power and doesn't mimic Irina's signature movements.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 05-31-2011 at 07:06 AM.

vCash
    Aside from the fact that both have bubbly personalities, they really aren't many similarities. Irina was one of the best and the only lady who could challenge Kwan on a regular basis.

Leonova finished fourth in what was generally a poorly skated ladies free skate at Worlds. She won't do that well again unless she improves remarkably. Asada, Murakami, Makarova (sp?), Alissa are all better skaters than her and there will be more next year (i.e. Nagasu, Lepisto).

Although I appreciate Leonova's joyful expression, she is lacking in so many areas where Irina shone, particularly speed and power. I've never agreed that Irina skated like a truck driver and didn't find her upper body movements jerky. However, Leonova in my view skates like a truck driver in the sense that she is very unpolished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I've never agreed that Irina skated like a truck driver and didn't find her upper body movements jerky. However, Leonova in my view skates like a truck driver in the sense that she is very unpolished.
    I agree with you that Slutskaya had an underrated power that captivated the senses in a way other skaters did not. She also improved throughout the years artistically. Still, her upper body movements-- her arm movements and head carriage- were totally non-musical and at times very ugly. Leonova does not have the distracting or ungraceful styles of arm waving that were characteristic of Slutskaya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Although I appreciate Leonova's joyful expression, she is lacking in so many areas where Irina shone, particularly speed and power. I've never agreed that Irina skated like a truck driver and didn't find her upper body movements jerky. However, Leonova in my view skates like a truck driver in the sense that she is very unpolished.
    I don't care that she is not a polished skater. Sometimes they are the most enjoyable to watch. She probably had the most interesting and exciting program in the ladies event at worlds. And her performance level was amazing and I loved the character and personality she showed.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I don't care that she is not a polished skater. Sometimes they are the most enjoyable to watch. She probably had the most interesting and exciting program in the ladies event at worlds. And her performance level was amazing and I loved the character and personality she showed.
    She also had the most exciting hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    I read somewhere that Slutskaya cried tears of joy for Leonova after her program. Maybe because Leonova reminded her of herself?
    Because Leonova's idol is Slutskaya, Irina seems to have a strong emotional connection to Leonova.

vCash
    It would be nice if Butyrskaya was idolized too. She had an interesting Russian style. Have any of the young skaters mentioned Butyrskaya as a role model?

vCash
    Alena's new EX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHFyejel7ew
    Very different style for her, and actually I see some similarity with Slutskaya here, but in a good way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    It would be nice if Butyrskaya was idolized too. She had an interesting Russian style. Have any of the young skaters mentioned Butyrskaya as a role model?
    It would be nice to hear of one but I havent yet. Slutskaya was always the real famous one in Russia except for possibly the 9 months after Maria won Worlds, but when Irina's comeback gained steamed the focus was immediately back on her.

vCash
    The only thing I see Leonova having in common with Slutskaya is the lively personality on the ice. Other than that, Irina was far superior in every aspect of FS. At age 17, Irina had already landed a 3sal-3loop in a competition. I do like Leonova, but I would never compare her with Irina. Unless she makes significant strides in the next year or two, her spot on the Russian team could be in jeopardy. BTW I loved her Witches LP at the recent worlds, and there was a great shot of Irina with tears in her eyes. I think she was just happy for a fellow Russian lady.

I do miss Maria Butyrskaya because we don't hear much about her. She had a lovely, elegant, mature style. I still liked irina more though.

vCash
    I did find Maria and Irina had totally different styles and strengths which is why I enjoyed their rivalry. Ivanova, Kondrashova, and Voderezova were all different from one another as well.

Makarova and Leonova are both going to have the heat on them in a big way when the current Russian juniors become age eligible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I did find Maria and Irina had totally different styles and strengths which is why I enjoyed their rivalry. Ivanova, Kondrashova, and Voderezova were all different from one another as well.

Makarova and Leonova are both going to have the heat on them in a big way when the current Russian juniors become age eligible.
    There's a chance neither Makarova or Leonova go to Euros/Worlds next season. It's not likely, but Shelepen, Sheveleva, Agafonova, Ovcharova, Birukova and Korobeinkova will all be age eligible for those events this coming season and it's not out of the realms of possibility that any 3 of those given skaters could beat Leonova and Makarova at Russian Nats and bump them off the team, sort of a la what happened to Rippon and Abbott at US nationals this season. I know all the focus is on Adelina and Liza who aren't eligible for another season, but there are quite a few talented ladies who will be eligible this season and can certainly challenge for those spots at Worlds/Euros.

vCash
    I don't care that she is not a polished skater. Sometimes they are the most enjoyable to watch. And her performance level was amazing and I loved the character and personality she showed.

vCash
    The judges preferred Kostner.

vCash
    It was definitely the most exciting performance at worlds in the ladies competition. I wish she could have medalled.

vCash
    The 3rd to 5th place performances at Worlds were in many ways better than the gold and silver. Kim not only made a slew of mistakes but looked so bored and unmotivated as if she were doing runthroughs of her program in practice, and Ando was typical Ando.

vCash
    Alena's style irks me the same way Irina's style irked me. There's very little musicality in the movement, but there is an energy and happiness there that's refreshing. I can admit that Alena, by far, had the most enjoyable skate at worlds this year. Her energy and exuberance brought the house down...plus she was the only one who actually looked like they were having any fun.

Still, I can't stand her skating, especially when the judges gift her with absurdly high PCS, which she often gets. I'm glad she had such a good showing at worlds because the field will be ridiculously tough next season with many of the Russian babies being eligible for senior worlds...

But once Adelina and Liza T make the jump, forget about it...she won't stand a chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    The judges preferred Kostner.
    And your point is? The judges preferring Kostner has nothing to do with the validity of Aussie Willie's description of what she likes about Leonova's skating.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And your point is? The judges preferring Kostner has nothing to do with the validity of Aussie Willie's description of what she likes about Leonova's skating.
    You don't have to be so defensive. My point was that Leonova got lower performance/execution and components than Kostner. It's worth considering that some people, perhaps the judges, did not find Leonova exciting or enjoyable.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast