Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    From strictly a fashion standpoint, the plaid skirts are cuter than the replacement outfit proposed, IMO. Also, the parents are paying for the brand and want the uniform to be recognizable, I suppose.

From a practical standpoint, I was always wondering if the girls were cold during the winter months in those skirts and tights vs. pants. I personally tend to wear slacks more during the colder months and switch to dresses and skirts/blouses during the warmer months. In the old country we had to wear very itchy and ugly brown wool dresses with white aprons on special occasions and black aprons on regular days. Boys wore white or blue shirts and blue pants and jackets. Gawd, I hated that dress, made us look like housemaids. However, during the harsh winters, I had to wear an additional pair of knit tights, and so am wondering about girls wearing skirts here.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    we always wore tights in the winter under the skirt. often in the winter, people wore sweatpants or something on the bus in the morning under the skirt. there was always a pants option but no one ever wore it, it was fug.

when i was recently at the liberty bell, there was some school there where all the girls were in khaki pants. they looked like little jc penney saleswomen.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    From strictly a fashion standpoint, the plaid skirts are cuter than the replacement outfit proposed, IMO. Also, the parents are paying for the brand and want the uniform to be recognizable, I suppose.

From a practical standpoint, I was always wondering if the girls were cold during the winter months in those skirts and tights vs. pants. I personally tend to wear slacks more during the colder months and switch to dresses and skirts/blouses during the warmer months. In the old country we had to wear very itchy and ugly brown wool dresses with white aprons on special occasions and black aprons on regular days. Boys wore white or blue shirts and blue pants and jackets. Gawd, I hated that dress, made us look like housemaids. However, during the harsh winters, I had to wear an additional pair of knit tights, and so am wondering about girls wearing skirts here.
    At the school I taught at, they wore the skirts all winter. With Uggs. And whined because they were cold. And they wore the skirts in the warm months. With Uggs. And whined because their feet were hot.

Teenagers can be so delightful!

On a serious note, they had the option to wear khaki pants as well, and many alternated. They could also wear khaki shorts and skorts. None of them wore the skorts. And most of the boys wore shorts year round. And whined about being cold.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    we always wore tights in the winter under the skirt. often in the winter, people wore sweatpants or something on the bus in the morning under the skirt. there was always a pants option but no one ever wore it, it was fug.

when i was recently at the liberty bell, there was some school there where all the girls were in khaki pants. they looked like little jc penney saleswomen.
    Yeah, that's the problem with the proposed uniforms of that school. Little saleswomen.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    they looked like little jc penney saleswomen.
    Not Target salespeople?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Silly. And I'm directing that at the parents.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Not Target salespeople?
    i havent been there but it is probably also applicable
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    i havent been there but it is probably also applicable
    Their red polo shirts and khaki pants/skirts haunt my dreams.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Well, rule number one is that they certainly must not like it.

One of my friends grew up in a very patriarchal home where her mother "submitted" to her father. She is determined not to ever have that kind of relationship in her marriage. Her husband grew up in a similar, though less iron clad, family. In their determination to have an equal marriage, they have created a matriarchy in place of a patriarchy. Her husband answers to her. And he has to do all the cooking and cleaning. She works from home on a very part time basis. In the summer, when their kids are home all day, her husband has to leave lunch for her and them and the kids have to reheat it. Because even doing that much cooking would, in my friend's view, make her a submissive wife in an unequal marriage.

And this silliness, I think, is what happens when we get caught up in defining gender roles at all. If they could let go of the notions of gender roles and do what makes sense instead, she could reheat the food.

And she and a few of her friends give me neverending hell for not only cooking, but for liking to do it.
    Sounds like someone is trying too hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Sounds like someone is trying too hard.
    That is exactly what's going on.

It's why I think getting preoccupied with gender roles in either respect, whether you want to maintain some "traditional" roles or avoid the same, is problematic.

Do what makes sense. I love to cook. So I cook. My husband actually likes to clean, so he does all the cleaning except the kitchen. We both hate laundry. I'm home the most right now, so I do it. When I go back to work, he'll be home more due to his shifts and very well may do it. Because we do what makes sense.

vCash
    In the GTA there is a movement on the part of some Catholic schools to ban the plaid kilt skirts because the "naughty schoolgirl" stereotype is the girl in the white shirt, navy tie, and short plaid skirt.

Watching groups of girls headed off to school is interesting. Some of the girls' skirts are almost to their knees, and on others, the skirt barely covers their butts. I would think the sane solution would be to institute a minimum acceptable length for the skirts.

vCash
    There is a minimum acceptable length. But the second they are out of school (or before school), some girls roll the waistband until the skirt is, erm, more interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post

Watching groups of girls headed off to school is interesting. Some of the girls' skirts are almost to their knees, and on others, the skirt barely covers their butts. I would think the sane solution would be to institute a minimum acceptable length for the skirts.
    There was a minimum required length where I worked. As PL said, they roll the waist bands up. And it is extremely awkward for staff to check for that. And often, a female teacher could say "hey, go fix your skirt" and they would do it and roll it again before the next class where a male teacher is not going to say anything because doing so gets him accused of inappropriately looking at the girls. I can really see why a school might want to just remove them from the uniform.

vCash
    One of my friends grew up in a very patriarchal home where her mother "submitted" to her father. She is determined not to ever have that kind of relationship in her marriage. Her husband grew up in a similar, though less iron clad, family. In their determination to have an equal marriage, they have created a matriarchy in place of a patriarchy. Her husband answers to her. And he has to do all the cooking and cleaning. She works from home on a very part time basis. In the summer, when their kids are home all day, her husband has to leave lunch for her and them and the kids have to reheat it. Because even doing that much cooking would, in my friend's view, make her a submissive wife in an unequal marriage.

And this silliness, I think, is what happens when we get caught up in defining gender roles at all.
    While I think an equal marriage would have been far more desirable, it's interesting you call this "silliness". Because when a man is charge and a woman is submissive, it's just normal - never silly.

So you're caught up in gender roles in your reaction.

The switch is interesting, in any rate, from the POV of what the couples' experience is of their switched roles and what they learned from it.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Good point, Japanfan. Though I suspect that same poster might think that the opposite, where the man is in charge to be silly too. Or at least sub-optimal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    In the GTA there is a movement on the part of some Catholic schools to ban the plaid kilt skirts because the "naughty schoolgirl" stereotype is the girl in the white shirt, navy tie, and short plaid skirt.

As long as there has been Catholic school, there has been a minimum skirt length and people trying to get away with much shorter.

I know. I was one of them
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    As long as there has been Catholic school, there has been a minimum skirt length and people trying to get away with much shorter.

I don't think it is only Catholic schools. Even in our public schools, which have very lax dress codes, the kids are still pushing the limits. Tank tops must have straps at least 2 fingers wide .... there must be some pretty tiny fingers out there.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I think it's the isolation, at least judging from my two friends who tried it. They didn't make it very long...
    Not just the isolation. For me it was also the "you're a mom and ONLY a mom and everything else you were or are no longer exists" mentality. It didn't matter that I'd had all kinds of experiences or was trained to do this or had worked doing that--all of a sudden it was all mom mom mom mom. Everything I did from that point onward was expected to be related to being a mom. I really hated that suddenly the rest of who I was was suddenly deemed completely unimportant and irrelevant. The obliteration of self, if you will.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

Yeah, my mom tells me stories... and her case it was poverty that gave her short skirts so being scolded by the nuns just made it worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Good point, Japanfan. Though I suspect that same poster might think that the opposite, where the man is in charge to be silly too. Or at least sub-optimal.
    Yeah...I already commented on that. And I didn't even come close to declaring that patriarchy is good.

I really enjoy people not reading the whole thread then taking someone to task.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast