vCash

Music/theme suggestions for artistic program

hey all,

inspired by the other music suggestion threads, i was wondering if you could all let me know what you think would be cool themes/music choices for artistic programs? I have yet to test any in the Canadian system, so I'm looking for 4 to get me through to Golds!

Thanks!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    What is the artistic program in Canada? Is it like a show program? Or something else?

vCash
    Artistic in Canada is no jumps (only single rotation if necessary) and judged on interpretation, speed, choreography, use of edges. It can have vocal or non-vocal music.

FWIW I think artistic/interpretive judges in Canada have seen more than enough of:
    - princesses
    - tangos
    - Bob Fosse-type music/programs (Chicago, Hey Big Spender, etc. etc.)
    - soppy female singer ballads
    - literal interpretation of the words of a song

It's hard to suggest music for an artistic/interpretive for someone else because really good artistic/interpretive programs are ones that are meaningful or important to the skater. I would start by thinking about what sort of music you like to skate to, and then go out and search until you find something that clicks with you.

Some skaters I know have done really well for finding skating music by going onto iTunes and choosing a song they like, and then seeing what compilations or playlists that song has been included in. The other songs in the playlist/compilation are similar in theme or style so they can be good choices.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Make sure the music is age appropriate. A kid skating to a love song or an adult skating to Disney is something that really bugs me.

I always think doing something that kinds of sucks up to the judges is good but then I don't mind skaters trying to suck up to me when judging. Not that I give them any more marks mind you, but it always puts a smile on my face.

Years ago I used Love Cats by the Cure which was fun.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    thanks all. i'm going to use a bollywood number for my introductory, as i love the music and skating to it makes me very happy, but i'm at a loss for the next couple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Make sure the music is age appropriate. A kid skating to a love song or an adult skating to Disney is something that really bugs me.
    But I love Disney!

Seriously (and on topic) the music has to be something you can connect to. I've seen kids at my rink skating to a piece of music for artistic that they clearly only heard for the first time when they started choreographing. It makes the programs look like they're lacking something.

My best advice? Load up your iPod/mp3/whatever with all the songs you have. Lie down on your bed, close your eyes, and hit play. Feel for the music instead of listening. If it connects with you, it's probably a good song to use.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    But I love Disney! .

Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Seriously (and on topic) the music has to be something you can connect to. I've seen kids at my rink skating to a piece of music for artistic that they clearly only heard for the first time when they started choreographing. It makes the programs look like they're lacking something.

My best advice? Load up your iPod/mp3/whatever with all the songs you have. Lie down on your bed, close your eyes, and hit play. Feel for the music instead of listening. If it connects with you, it's probably a good song to use.
    I totally agree. You have to relate to it and have an emotional feeling for it.

I think a lot of skaters pick music in mind with how they are going to do a program to it rather than they have any sense of real connection to it.

After a couple of years (been doing too much judging), I am finally doing an artistic event this weekend. My music is "I want a little sugar in my bowl" by Queen Latifah. The coach I have worked with really knows how to bring out the best in the music because he really likes it and I have loved working on it with him.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.