KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

Thumbs up 2011 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs

Some of you will remember enjoying the webcast of the 2009 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, which brings together 30 of the world's finest pianists under 30 every 4 years to Fort Worth, Texas. The Cliburn is one of the world's premier piano competitions and is the preeminent one in North America.

Every once in a while, the Van Cliburn Foundation puts on an International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs. Participants must be at least 35 years old and must not derive their primary income from piano or music.

This year's installment of the competition has begun and runs through May 29. Find the free webcast here at http://www.cliburn.org. Enjoy!

vCash
    Thank you!

vCash
    Thanks for the link! I'm watching at work

vCash
    Thanks for the heads up UBMS!

How do the participants qualify to compete out of curiosity?

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    I assume in this case videotapes which are then screened by a jury. For the grand quadrennial Van Cliburn competition last held in 2009 and next to be held in 2013, there are videotapes, which lead to invitations to in-person auditions (open to the public) worldwide.

Whoever played the Beethoven variations last (with the page-turner) was awful. The current player from Japan is OK although I'm at the Khatchaturian Toccata which I played in high school purely as a show piece, not as a substantive one.

There was a fantastic player earlier (Darlene Cusick, IIRC) who played a very difficult Barber sonata. Also some pretty good players before her in the first group.

vCash
    Stream is not iPhone compatible to easily have on in the resident lounge/work area tonight on night shift.

I swear I am so fecking sick of Apple not allowing Flash!!!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Semifinalists have been announced! (Link to PDF file)

All the preliminary round performances have been archived here, and I'm playing the archived preliminary performances of those who advanced to the semis in the background while I study for an exam.

Even though this is an amateur competition, I like to look for a combination of (subjective) beautiful soundscapes and (objective) technical clarity and accuracy. So far I'm listening to Christopher Sarzynski and he's doing a great job on the Debussy and Chopin.

vCash
    Christopher Shih was just announced as the winner. Congrats to him and the finalists, it was a pleasure to listen to this afternoon.

btw - someone on chat said they'd be webcasting a competition in Boston from June 23-26, if anyone's interested.

vCash
    Great thread!

vCash
    Rats, I discovered the thread too late. Well, congratulations to Chistopher Shih!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    The competition was wonderful.
    There are many gifted pianists who pursue other fields "to earn a living".
    Dr. Shih was a deserving winner - one of several terrific performers.
    What a enjoyable week of listening it was.

vCash
    Third place finalist Barry Couhinto is also a physician for UPMC (Pittsburgh). Dr. Shih went to Hopkins Med and Harvard undergrad prior.

I'm at how they found enough time to practice to be so good!!!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Related note: the Tchaikovsky Competition is going on in Russia right now. Van Cliburn shot to fame in both the US and USSR back in the day when, as an American at the height of the Cold War, he won the first Tchaikovsky Competition. The Soviets went nuts (in a good way) over him, and he was honored with a ticker tape parade in New York upon returning home.

2009 Van Cliburn Competition silver medalist Yeol Eum Son played earlier today in the 2nd round of this year's Tchaikovsky competition. Check out the webcast here:
    http://pitch.paraclassics.com/Welcome.aspx

and the main website here.

Also, a teaser for the documentary of the 2009 Van Cliburn competition is available here, with Yeol Eum Son featured. The full documentary is available here, by signing up for free.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    From the Van Cliburn Foundation's Facebook status feed:

Yeol Eum Son has just been named a finalist in the XIV International Tchaikovsky Competition and was also given two special awards for her performances in the Semifinal Round! The Finals begin Monday.
    In addition to piano, the Tchaikovsky Competition also has events for cello and violin.