vCash

Music Suggestions for Junior/Senior Program

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could think of any music suitable for a male skater making a higher level program (junior/senior length so around 4 min. - 4:30). Something that isn't too overused (i.e. no requiem for a dream/POTC), but powerful, fast, and strong (can have some slow music for the slow part of the program though).

It could range from classical, to movie soundtracks to instrumental/new age, to tango/flamenco which is sort of in the classical category, just need some ideas (no jazz or bluesy type of music though!). So for example stuff that could sound like Pirates, or Chronicles of Narnia, except the former is overused, and the latter I've skated to it before

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ltnskater; 05-22-2011 at 04:50 AM.

vCash
    What about some Beethoven? Years ago Michael Weiss used the Egmont Overture which I really like. It is strong and powerful. But it is not overused. Also check out the soundtrack of Immortal Beloved which is about Beethoven's life.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    The soundtrack for A Game of Thrones is really great, IMO. Very powerful but there are also slow parts in it.
    I hope someone uses it next season!

vCash
    Safri Duo: Samba Adagio
    Safri Duo: Rise Original

vCash
    Michael Daugherty - Metropolis Symphony

It's based on the Superman comics. Includes the "Red Cape Tango", which I dearly wish some high level dance team would use.
    Last edited by Clarice; 05-23-2011 at 04:19 AM.

vCash
    John Adams' Short Ride in a Fast Machine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtDnIetHKU8
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Well i am in love with O Fortuna and would love my daughter to skate to it. However I dont think its quite appropriate for her age. I am looking as well and would love suggestions for a preliminary program for avery dramatic/artistic 7 year old However I think O Fortuna is great for an older male skater!!!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I love Holst's the Planets - Mars. I know elite skaters have skated to it in the past (Tai and Randy did, I think) but I don't hear it too much nowadays.

ETA - now that I'm not at work and can post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcR...eature=related

ETA again - I skated to this one (Planets - Jupiter): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo It was good music to skate to.
    Last edited by purple skates; 05-24-2011 at 02:34 AM.

vCash
    I haven't seen any men skate to "Last of the Mohicans" for awhile. I skated to it 6 years ago and loved it! The main theme is very powerful, but there's a also lot of variation in the music to work with. My favorite part is around 4:48 - 6:10 in this YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWGRnHOhGiE
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 05-24-2011 at 01:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    I haven't seen any men skate to "Last of the Mohicans" for awhile. I skated to it 6 years ago and loved it! The main theme is very powerful, but there's a also lot of variation in the music to work with. My favorite part is around 4:48 - 6:10 in this YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWGRnHOhGiE
    I agree with this. Really good piece of music.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Joubert about a year or two ago. Although he changed the program half way through the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Joubert about a year or two ago. Although he changed the program half way through the season.
    Oh yeah, now I vaguely remember that. Oh well, if he changed it halfway through the season, it doesn't count, right?

vCash
    I liked "Broken Arrows" when Yag used it, but he abandoned it after like two competitions.

I think "Avatar" is still fresh. Not overly used ... Yet

vCash
    Hey, thanks all for the suggestions, many of them were great to listen to.

In response to the post above, my coach didn't find much she liked from Avatar, although there was a short section in there that was good for footwork.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, we settled on flamenco type of music but I listened to each and every one of your suggestions! Perhaps this thread can continue for other skaters also looking for music as well...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Hey, thanks all for the suggestions, many of them were great to listen to.

In response to the post above, my coach didn't find much she liked from Avatar, although there was a short section in there that was good for footwork.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, we settled on flamenco type of music but I listened to each and every one of your suggestions! Perhaps this thread can continue for other skaters also looking for music as well...
    Sounds exciting! Have a great season with your new program!

vCash
    Duel of the Fates by John Williams from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

vCash
    for SP...Tico Tico, by Boulder Acoustic Society.
    for LP...a medley of songs from the Soundtrack of Strictly Ballroom.
    Last edited by DarrellH; 06-24-2011 at 12:30 AM.

vCash
    I've always wondered why no one skates to Simon and Garfunkel's "Anji." (It's an instrumental.) I also would like to see the end of "Is There Anybody Out There?" by Pink Floyd done.