Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

vCash
    I've heard those supposedly strong stories and also the theory that Michelle simply wanted more control over her own life and skating (as in having a life around skating), but who knows what really happened? There are many "in the know" rumors; I won't believe anything until I hear it from Frank and Michelle, and that ain't happening. And at this point, who really needs to know? Michelle is a legend in the sport and a very happy woman in her new work, Frank finally has his OGM and is continuing on happily coaching, life is good for both of them.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    All the people in the know say it had to do with money and Frank's percentage of Michelle's earnings. This is why they've kept it private.
    Well, then you were talking to people that don't know much. American coaches don't charge that way. The only places that do that are places like Eastern European Countries and China, where the coach is basically a foster parent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    ... And at this point, who really needs to know? Michelle is a legend in the sport and a very happy woman in her new work, Frank finally has his OGM and is continuing on happily coaching, life is good for both of them.
    It couldn't happen to a more deserving pair, IMO.

vCash
    I always blamed that awful boyfriend. He was a convenient target.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    It couldn't happen to a more deserving pair, IMO.

The fact that they get together for a birthday dinner each yr and have remained friendly is a credit to both of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    The fact that they get together for a birthday dinner each yr and have remained friendly is a credit to both of them.
    That should settle the questions about Frank and Michelle's relationship.

Never mind that I (and many others) saw Frank enthusiastically applauding Michelle's performances at Nationals.
    I admire both of them very much.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 06-04-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: to add comment

vCash
    If you look at her results from the fall of '98 through the split, she seemed to be getting off to a slower and slower start with each successive season. Whether it was the alleged injury or motivational issues, who knows. But her record against Slutskaya in 2000 had to scare her. I think the only programs she won were the LPs at 2000 and 2001 worlds. Maybe there were a few others, but Slute seemed to have the upper hand.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    After turning pro many of the technical skaters developed their artistry but you watch programs like Salome, Taj Mahal, Song of the black swan, and Lyra Angelica, and you see how unique Michelle's artistry was. It's a shame that she did not get the OGM in her illustrious career.
    I agree with you, not only about Michelle, but also about Kurt Browning. They stand out, for me, as two wonderful skaters who skated brilliantly choreographed programs, but never won the OGM. Michelle, however, skated really well in the matchup with Tara, whereas Kurt fell. In both cases, thought, it just broke my heart that neither of them won.

vCash
    I think it's sad that Michelle had the break up with Frank before SLC, because it seemed to affect her performance adversely. Also, I think most of us will agree that Lori Nichol, for better or worse, would have designed something more swoon worthy than Scheherezade.

So, there was something going on there, a story that has never been told. Michelle can say it was a personal, private decision that should remain forever secret, but reasonable people can agree that it was also a public story that people could learn from. It might be a cautionary tale for future stars facing the Olympic pressure.

Michelle is on one hand very considerate and high class. On the other, she is guarded and diplomatic about everything. I believe she chooses not to tarnish herself or Frank, because it might hurt her brand or cause Frank pain (or hurt Frank/Lori's brand). She should be respected for this.

Still, there is a story there that remains unknown. Who knows if it is a story that would benefit other skaters or the USFSA?
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-05-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think it's sad that Michelle had the break up with Frank before SLC, because it seemed to affect her performance adversely. Also, I think most of us will agree that Lori Nichol, for better or worse, would have come up with something more swoon worthy than Salome.
    Personally, I think Salome is a masterpiece, and I don't know what it has to do with SLC.

vCash
    Sorry, I edited it to be Scheherezade. Salome is a materpiece!

Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-05-2011 at 09:51 AM.

vCash
    The original question, was it Michelle or Lori, I think it was ultimately Michelle. In the fluff piece on Salome, Michelle says that Lori told her to do what the music moved her to do & that Lori found many moves that she used in the final choreography. And if you look at Winter which she chor'd herself you can see Michelle's creativity.

I think some choreographers stifled Michelle's creativity (Sara - Sheharazade) & some brought it out (Phillip Mills - Hands). I think the programs which used long edge moves as a highlight were all Michelle.
    Last edited by taf2002; 06-05-2011 at 07:00 PM.

vCash
    ^^^
    This!

vCash
    But Sarah did Fields of Gold. I think it was the pressure of competition - of OLYMPIC competition - that kept Schez from coming together as a program.

From all of '99 on, Michelle's long programs took longer and longer to come together. So the way Schez looked at GWG '01 wasn't indiciative that Michelle's creativity was stifled.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Off-topic: Someone finally put up a video of Michelle's One More Time exhibition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FehcN5tiuo

The youtube police took off the previous video.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lilia&mofan View Post
    Off-topic: Someone finally put up a video of Michelle's One More Time exhibition:

Thanks so much for this. I don't think I've ever seen this exhibition! It was beautiful!

vCash
    Thanks for the "one More Time" it was beautiful. Haven't seen it in years....but WOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    If you look at her results from the fall of '98 through the split, she seemed to be getting off to a slower and slower start with each successive season. Whether it was the alleged injury or motivational issues, who knows. But her record against Slutskaya in 2000 had to scare her. I think the only programs she won were the LPs at 2000 and 2001 worlds. Maybe there were a few others, but Slute seemed to have the upper hand.
    "alleged injury"???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lilia&mofan View Post

Thank you. Watching this video it is no wonder that Michelle is known as the "Kween". Loved it!

vCash
    Meh. The Lori-Frank-Michelle split is one of the biggest mysteries in U.S. skating lore, even 10 years later. Its safe to say they all kept it classy unlike certain other splits in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I always blamed that awful boyfriend. He was a convenient target.
    I'll always remember him as the d-bag who fought Mario Lemieux.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast