Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    it doesnt but we don't ask these questions when a stranger does the same thing
    I think that the difference here is that it is within the family.

You are right, if someone dies at the suspected hand of the neighbor or the neighborhood thug, etc. we don't ask those questions. The stranger connection just means that no one has a vested interest in their motives/reason/illnesses/family dynamics

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I think that the difference here is that it is within the family.
    based on the mentally ill person in my family and his bout with violence, i would be comfortable treating them the same as a stranger
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    fair enough

vCash
    Based on the evidence I've heard, I disagree with the verdict. The dad may have had clogged arteries, but that makes him more susceptible to dying during a highly excitable incident--like a fight with his son. And, if the son knew his father had a bad heart, that makes it even more troubling.

But in the end, the victim's wife and family are happy with the outcome, and their opinion and feelings matter more than mine.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    From an article at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43168842?GT1=43001:

The defense said the injury to Daniel Kerrigan's neck could have been caused when emergency medical personnel put a tube down his throat or after he died during an autopsy, when his larynx was removed.

Yes, those autopsies will kill you every time. Didn't anybody bother to proofread this article?
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    I dont know what the family should do really. It must be a difficult situation. I just hope Mark isnt going to be living with Brenda. I would fear for her safety in that case, and her family should be concerned about that idea too. I am hoping that isnt the case though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Guzzi View Post

The defense said the injury to Daniel Kerrigan's neck could have been caused when emergency medical personnel put a tube down his throat or after he died during an autopsy, when his larynx was removed.

Yes, those autopsies will kill you every time. Didn't anybody bother to proofread this article?
    I don't see the problem here. An additional injury can occur after death.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I don't see the problem here. An additional injury can occur after death.
    The sentence is poorly structured and makes it appear that Mr. Kerrigan died while an autopsy was being conducted.

I wonder what effect this will have on Mark Kerrigan in the end. Will it push him even deeper into his addiction or will he change as a result? I am sad for the entire family. It is not an easy situation to deal with mental issues and addictive behaviors. My nephew is a long-time heroin addict who is violent and vindictive and has threatened to kill various members of our family. He feels no remorse over my brother's death from a heart attack, nor does he feel that his addiction may have been a factor. My brother spent years trying to get him the help he needs, but you can't help somebody who doesn't want to change.
    Last edited by Moto Guzzi; 05-26-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."

vCash

What the article was saying the injury could be: caused by the fight/presumed assault, caused by the paramedics when they inserted the ET tube or caused by the person performing the autospy and the manipulation of the larynx during that time

Yes, it was a poorly constructed statement and did not convey the possible reasons for the injury. Perhaps you know all of this and was just noting that the sentence structure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Yes, it was a poorly constructed statement and did not convey the possible reasons for the injury. Perhaps you know all of this and was just noting that the sentence structure.
    Yes. One of my friends, a former teacher and a big fan of the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves, collects awkwardly-worded sentences and sent me the article with several comments re sentence construction. Three people on her distribution list chimed in to say that they had first interpreted it as meaning Mr. Kerrigan had died during his autopsy.

vCash
    Yes. One of my friends, a former teacher and a big fan of the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves, collects awkwardly-worded sentences and sent me the article with several comments re sentence construction. Three people on her distribution list chimed in to say that they had first interpreted it as meaning Mr. Kerrigan had died during his autopsy.
    Yes, it definitely was an awkward construction -- which could have been avoided by moving the phrase "during an autopsy" to the end of the sentence:
    The defense said the injury to Daniel Kerrigan's neck could have been caused when emergency medical personnel put a tube down his throat or after he died, when his larynx was removed during an autopsy.

vCash
    News just came in, Mark got the maximum 2.5 years for the assault despite Nancy pleading for him to be sent home:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43180883...me_and_courts/
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Wow.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    He needs treatment in addition to the sentence.
    I hope he receives it.

Sending him home would have done no good.
    He might have attacked someone else.

vCash
    Sounds like the Kerrigan family is in denial about their son, brother. They need to stop enabling him.

vCash
    Something about Mark's statement before sentencing really rubbed me the wrong way:

"Your honor, I'd just like to say I loved my father and I miss him very much and I'd like the opportunity to return home with my family so we can finish grieving over my father's loss, so I can be there to help my mother," he said.
    Whatever.... He makes it sound like he is the glue holding the Kerrigan family together or something, when from what people have been saying, he was a hindrance, not a help, to his family up to this point.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Whatever.... He makes it sound like he is the glue holding the Kerrigan family together or something, when from what people have been saying, he was a hindrance, not a help, to his family up to this point.
    It reminded me of the old line about the person who's on trial for killing their parents and asks the court to be kind to them because they're an orphan....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Re Mark Kerrigan's comments to the judge:

Truthfully, when a loved one dies, grieving is never "finished." Too bad in this case, the grieving will always be twofold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    News just came in, Mark got the maximum 2.5 years for the assault despite Nancy pleading for him to be sent home:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43180883...me_and_courts/
    The last paragraph of both articles:

Nancy Kerrigan won a bronze medal at the 1992 Olympics in Albertville, France, and the silver at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway. At the U.S. Championships in 1994, an assailant clubbed her right knee during practice. An investigation revealed that rival Tonya Harding had knowledge of the planning of the attack.

Great reporting! And so timely too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Re Mark Kerrigan's comments to the judge:

Truthfully, when a loved one dies, grieving is never "finished." Too bad in this case, the grieving will always be twofold.
    Yeah, he makes it sound like finishing grieving is something to check off the to-do list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast