Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icetiff View Post
    they drove a white limo onto the ice after each practice session, and each of us skaters would climb into limo with our skates on and they would take us for a lap outside around the Broadmoor hotel. They wanted all the skaters to say goodbye to the rink in style. I will never forget that day.
    That's really cool!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    There is some video available on the competition on youtube. You can look up the skater by name. Not all performances are there, and not all of the available clips are a full program, but you can still see quite a bit. One thing: the clips are in black and white, and will look very fuzzy and poor quality compared to what you'd see today, but that was the only technology available back then.
    IIRC, Dana (FSWer) can't watch youtube videos on his computer, unfortunately. Skateweb has 1961 US Nationals video files available for downloading: http://www.frogsonice.com/video/1961-nats/

Thanks for sharing that really special memory, icetiff!

vCash
    I went to my first Words at the Broadmoor in 1957. What a thrill AND what a difference. Out seats were metal folding chairs set on planks on the ice at the end of the arena. You can imagine how cold those chairs got overnight!! Also the record player (yes, record player) was at the skaters' entrance to the ice on a folding table which got bumped into a couple of times.

The great part of it was that most everyone, skaters and spectators, stayed at the Broadmoor and there was terrific interaction and no necessity for security. I made friends that are still in touch to this day.

I've been to quite a few Worlds since then, but the first one is always the one you never forget.

One bit of trivia - Joan Zamboni was a skater for the US in the dance event (with Roland Junso) and the ice was cleaned by hand (rink rats, as the guys were called). I always say I've been around skating since Zamboni was a skater, not an ice machine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icetiff View Post
    The old Broadmoor rink had so much history to it. I started skating there and I believe I am the last skater still competing that started skating at the original Broadmoor rink. The last memory I have of the rink was the last day the rink was open right before they tore it down, they drove a white limo onto the ice after each practice session, and each of us skaters would climb into limo with our skates on and they would take us for a lap outside around the Broadmoor hotel. They wanted all the skaters to say goodbye to the rink in style. I will never forget that day.
    Icetiff..YOU?...You were a Broadmoor Ice Palace Skater before it was torn down? Was this before you did Pairs? Do you have any pics of when you skated there that you want to share? I hope btw. that I'm not being too personal with you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12