Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Breaking The Waves was a great film. Assholes can be talented too.
    Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but I could never watch it again. Emily Watson's performance was extremely deserving of an Oscar.

Dancer in the Dark is also amazing, not as good as Breaking the Waves, but I was only able to watch it the once in the theatre. I do, however, listen to the soundtrack Bjork did with Thome Yorke all the time.

A student admitted into the graduate program for next year said he wanted to work with me and that he would like to examine sexuality in the films of Lars van Trier for his thesis project. I'm hoping he changes his mind so I don't have to spend a year revisiting those films.

All of my European colleagues think of van Trier as almost a hero. I remember saying that I would have to take a valium before going to see [Antichrist and all of them saying they didn't understand why.

I actually show Dogville to my film theory students almost every year.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but I could never watch it again. Emily Watson's performance was extremely deserving of an Oscar.
    I couldn't watch it again either.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I didn't hate Breaking the Waves, but I could certainly never watch it again. And yes, Emily Watson was brilliant.

I couldn't stand Dancer in the Dark though.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Von Trier has definitely stuck his foot in his mouth (and this isn't the first time either). But I think people are being selective with picking out certain sentences (or a select phrase or two) from the press conference, and taking it out of context.

Plus English is his second language and he was trying to be flippant/sarcastic, and his attempts at humour (rightly so?) fell flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    This is also the guy who hates the USA, but has never been there.
    Von Trier is critical of the USA, but so are many US citizens. It doesn't meant that they hate the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    What is there to understand with respect to a man who attempted to eliminate an entire ethnicity/religion and was responsible for the deaths of millions of people?
    I personally believe that we need to try to understand anyone who has done something wrong in order to stop those kinds of wrongs from ever happening again.

If I were able to get to the point where I could understand someone who did horrendous things, it would not mean that I agree in any way, shape or form with the terror they created. It would mean that I understood the situation better and could use that information to make changes in the world so that less horrific things would ever happen again.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I personally believe that we need to try to understand anyone who has done something wrong in order to stop those kinds of wrongs from ever happening again.
    You are clearly a more optimistic soul than I am, as I don't believe pure evil can be truly understood.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    You are clearly a more optimistic soul than I am, as I don't believe pure evil can be truly understood.
    It is good for you if you can´t understand it. I think I can imagine (I don´t dare to use the word understand) why Hitler and his supporters thought that they thought. At the same time, I am very much against it.

This is not for you personally, Cheylana, but who of us can be 100% sure that living in Nazi times or Stalin´r regime, s/he would have had wisdom and courage to stand against it?

Still, I think von Trier acted stupidly

vCash
    Dancer in the Dark was one of the most devastating movies I have seen. First time I saw it I sat there thinking "I really don't know if I'm enjoying this or not" but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I love Bjork, loved her music with a fierce passion before seeing it, but loved her even more after the movie. Love her quirkiness. How sad that brilliant people can be so far removed. I suppose it's true what they say about the line between genius and madness being very fine.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    It is good for you if you can´t understand it. I think I can imagine (I don´t dare to use the word understand) why Hitler and his supporters thought that they thought.
    I can't, considering Hitler's own genetic background.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Dancer in the Dark was one of the most devastating movies I have seen.
    That's a terrific description.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Oh, I can UNDERSTAND how a system like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union works. I have trouble believing anyone fell for the former (except a very few certain members of Hitler's inner circle whom all evidence indicates were genuinely, completely, insane in the legal sense--you cannot have any mental contact with reality and believe some of the things Hitler, but more so Himmler, Goebbels and Hess believed) and I've never gotten why any decent human being defends the latter. But in terms of history and structure I can see where it was coming from.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I saw the video of him speaking when he said that he both understands AND sympasizes with Hitler.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Dunst looked sooooo uncomfortable.

vCash
    Good. I love it when hateful people trip themselves up, especially when they do so while trying to exhibit their superiority.

Speaking of hateful people tripping themselves up and speaking of Cannes ... Sean Penn. That lemur-faced, anti-Semetic, anti-American, pro-Communist, OTT ham of an actor and douchebag pig of a person.

His “This Must Be the Place” is getting horrible reviews. So horrible that I wonder -- could his movie and his performance end up with "Showgirls" camp following?

This reviewer leaves me in stitches ...
    Donning a subpar Alice Cooper impression, Penn plays the weary-eyed Cheyenne, a leather-clad middle-aged retiree spending his aimless days in a Dublin mansion. Hidden behind eye shadow and lipstick, his whiny delivery comes across like a John Waters script reject by way of Truman Capote. Early scenes find Cheyenne wandering through life in a daze, staggering through supermall while an eager public snaps photos. His boredom has drained him of a personality. “I’m a tad depressed,” he finally tells his unexplainably normal wife, Jane (Frances McDormand). “Maybe you’re confusing depression and boredom,” she says, which could double as a critique of Penn’s performance.
    LINK

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i hate his films, i would walk out on every one of them, even if they were being shown on a plane

I think his films are self-indulgent crap.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    I thought I remembered reading that he was born Lars Trier and added the "von" later - I had imagined that it was in homage to Erich von Stroheim, who did the same thing with his name, but IMDB states that it was done to emulate/honor Josef von Sternberg.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    I thought I remembered reading that he was born Lars Trier and added the "von" later - I had imagined that it was in homage to Erich von Stroheim, who did the same thing with his name, but IMDB states that it was done to emulate/honor Josef von Sternberg.
    Or just to be pretentious.

from Speedy Death

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    hmmmm.....Does AliasJohnVonDoe work?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    hmmmm.....Does AliasJohnVonDoe work?
    It's lovely. I've been considering Ice d'Alisa myself.

from Speedy Death

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Well, I certainly thought that, but I thought that I might be labeled a no-culture Ugly American (which no doubt I am, but still carrying the stigma...)

Can I be VALuvsMvonKwan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Well, I certainly thought that, but I thought that I might be labeled a no-culture Ugly American (which no doubt I am, but still being carrying the stigma...)

Can I be VALuvsMvonKwan?
    MilyVonSkate? Clearly, this game provides hours of fun.

Seriously though, another high-flyer manages to kill his own career in one sentence
    Idiot. There are no words.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    MilyVonSkate? Clearly, this game provides hours of fun.

Seriously though, another high-flyer manages to kill his own career in one sentence
    Idiot. There are no words.
    That looks like Lily von Shtupp from "Blazing Saddles"...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast