Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    I used to think it was very important to try to understand the thought patterns of people who do terrible things in order to stop people from doing such terrible things in the future, but now I wonder how helpful that really is, because you're not actually understanding what those people were thinking, all that you're understanding is your own imagined version of how their thoughts were working. I think that those things are very different. And perhaps it is dangerous to think that you are understanding more about how evil happens and how a person could do something evil than you actually are.

vCash
    Iran slams Cannes Film Festival for Von Trier Nazi ban.
    In its official protest, Iranian deputy culture minister Javad Shamaqdari, says that Cannes had smirched its history and rendered its claims to defend free speech "a meaningless slogan."

Iran, who is suddenly all about free speech, has jailed several Iranian filmmakers for making movies that supported the country's reform movement.

Von Trier, who probably understands that with friends like this, one doesn't need an enemy, said in respond to Iranian support that his remarks were "unintelligent, ambiguous and needlessly hurtful."

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Obviously, Iran doesn't appreciate the difference between state/legal prosecution and a ban from a film festival.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Von Trier ... said ... that his remarks were "unintelligent, ambiguous and needlessly hurtful."
    Von Trier seems to ramble when doing interviews/panel discussions. He really should get some training in how to be able to handle these situations differently. I wonder if he even likes doing them, but does so just in order to get promotion for his films. Or at the very least, he should let his producers and actors do more of the talking!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Von Trier, who probably understands that with friends like this, one doesn't need an enemy, said in respond to Iranian support that his remarks were "unintelligent, ambiguous and needlessly hurtful."
    Does this mean he's going to cancel next week's golf outing with Mel Gibson?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I saw "Breaking the Waves" in the theater upon release. One things I'll say about it, I've never forgotten it.

Then I saw "Dancer in the Dark" not realizing it was the same director. And the whole time I'm watching it, I thought to myself, 'this reminds me of Breaking The Waves.' Sure enough . . .

Even though the acting was amazing in all films, I will never again watch another of his films. Despicable stuff, and he really seems hostile to his female characters.
    ah crap...I was excited about Melancholia until you said it's the same Director of Dancer in the Dark. I loathed that movie. Horrible editing, too.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Does this mean he's going to cancel next week's golf outing with Mel Gibson?

Schwarzenegger to caddy!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123