Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Cannes ban Lars Von Trier after Nazi Comments.

Danish director Lars Von Trier has accepted his ban from the Cannes Film Festival, following his claims that he sympathised with Adolf Hitler.

Von Trier came to Cannes to promote his new film Melancholia.
    The festival's decision to ban him came after Wednesday's
    press conference
    in which he stated:
    "I understand Hitler but I think he did some wrong things yes absolutely but I can see him sitting in his bunker"
    Von Trier said that while he was "not against Jews... Israel is a pain in the ass".

On a personal note I would like to say to Mr. Von Trier:
    Allow me not to understand you... :::bigsigh:::

vCash
    Eden, it was one of the most offensively bizarre things I have heard this year. I guess we aren't meant to get it.

vCash

He also said that he thinks the things Nazi's did where the most terrible things done in human history and he dosen't approve it. Understanding someone actions dosen't mean that you approve them.

And to be honest, Isreal isn't a little angel. But in the west you are not allowed to talk about things this publicly. Hurray to the freedom of speech!

gold dust woman
    vCash
    This is also the guy who hates the USA, but has never been there.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Reading the comments in an article yesterday, I was wondering if he was either high or having some sort of psychotic break. I don't think he's actually a Nazi but I was definitely wondering if he's gone around the bend.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekatiivi View Post
    But in the west you are not allowed to talk about things this publicly. Hurray to the freedom of speech!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It seemed like he was at first trying to make a joke but then he didn't know when to shut up and just kept on going and going. I saw the video and I felt awful for Kirsten Dunst. She was so clearly uncomfortable but too professional to make a scene or get up and leave.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Inquiry: If he had made comparable comments about Joseph Stalin and communism, would the world give a flying crap?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Inquiry: If he had made comparable comments about Joseph Stalin and communism, would the world give a flying crap?
    No, but that's because a certain subset of that world (or rather their parents, grandparents, and teachers, some of whom are now on stamps, for cripes' sake) spent a lot of time sucking up to Stalin and his political system and THEIR kids are wearing Che Guevera t-shirts and deep at heart still think Soviet Russia is kind of cool.

Though Poland would still give a crap. As would a good chunk of Ukraine. And a few other countries in that region. But no one cares what they think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekatiivi View Post
    Understanding someone actions dosen't mean that you approve them.
    At least in the States, the word "understand" in this context is virtually synonymous with "sympathize." Maybe that's not what he meant, but that is what it sounds like. What is there to understand with respect to a man who attempted to eliminate an entire ethnicity/religion and was responsible for the deaths of millions of people?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I am reminded of when Marge Schott owner of the Cincinatti Reds said Hitler did some good things but went too far.

vCash
    Might this have been a language issue? When I read the quote I had to struggle at first to understand what was so offensive but then Cheylana's explanation of "understand" is synonymous with sympathize made it clear.
    I hope that he meant that he could comprehend(? is that the right word) how someone with Hitler's mindset would think the way he did without ever never ever thinking the same way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    This is also the guy who hates the USA, but has never been there.
    I thought the issue was that he was afraid to fly, not that he hated the US.

I'm honestly not surprised by his comments. He's notorious for saying horribly offensive things to his actors... to the point that a lot of actors will not even accept scripts that are attached to him.

He is one of the most incredible film makers of our time, but as amazing as his films are, Dogville is the only one I can bear to watch again because the others are so bleak and heart wrenching.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I thought the issue was that he was afraid to fly, not that he hated the US.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_von_Trier#Trilogies

Lars von Trier proposed the films as ‘a series of sermons on America’s sins and hypocrisy’, inspired by the fact that American movie makers have made many movies about places across the world to which they have not travelled.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i hate his films, i would walk out on every one of them, even if they were being shown on a plane
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i hate his films, i would walk out on every one of them, even if they were being shown on a plane
    But you have wings.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    I saw "Breaking the Waves" in the theater upon release. One things I'll say about it, I've never forgotten it.

Then I saw "Dancer in the Dark" not realizing it was the same director. And the whole time I'm watching it, I thought to myself, 'this reminds me of Breaking The Waves.' Sure enough . . .

Even though the acting was amazing in all films, I will never again watch another of his films. Despicable stuff, and he really seems hostile to his female characters.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Reading the comments in an article yesterday, I was wondering if he was either high or having some sort of psychotic break. I don't think he's actually a Nazi but I was definitely wondering if he's gone around the bend.
    Probably watched too many of his own unwatchable films.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I saw "Breaking the Waves" in the theater upon release. One things I'll say about it, I've never forgotten it.

Then I saw "Dancer in the Dark" not realizing it was the same director. And the whole time I'm watching it, I thought to myself, 'this reminds me of Breaking The Waves.' Sure enough . . .

Even though the acting was amazing in all films, I will never again watch another of his films. Despicable stuff, and he really seems hostile to his female characters.
    That's funny because the only movie of his that I can rewatch is Breaking the Waves. I thought Emily Watson deserved the Oscar for that performance (even over Frances McDormand in Fargo and Brenda Blethyn in Secrets and Lies - both films and performances I loved).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Breaking The Waves was a great film. Assholes can be talented too.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast