Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    RIP. That's too bad. I was hoping to hear he pulled out of it.

vCash
    Damn, that car door Jeff took to the face just before the big drag race must have been a doozie.

vCash
    I followed Jeff's journey in CR. His GF is also an addict and was an enabler.
    His death does not surpirse me, but is still sad nonetheless.
    I remember he said that his back injury happened while filming 'GREASE'....he fell off the car during 'Greased Lightening'.
    Severe pain can inadvertently cause addiction to pain meds...so does trauma.
    RIP, Jeff.

vCash
    RIP

vCash
    What a wasted life. That is sad.....

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I remember he said that his back injury happened while filming 'GREASE'....he fell off the car during 'Greased Lightening'.
    Severe pain can inadvertently cause addiction to pain meds...so does trauma.
    RIP, Jeff.
    Yes, it happened during the filming of Greased Lightening. After I heard that, I was never able to watch what used to be my favourite number in Grease without feeling very sad.

I had pictures of Jeff Conaway all over my room when Grease came out; I adored him as Kenickie. I remember being jealous that he was dating Olivia Newton John's older sister.

RIP, Jeff.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    Yes, it happened during the filming of Greased Lightening.
    Do we know for a fact that he had a severe back injury, or was that Jeff's version of why he was an addict, three decades later? Was there video of the accident? For someone so injured he was at the top of his game the rest of the film, assuming that the Greased Lightening number was not the last number shot. Not sure where all the coke comes into this, either.
    Last edited by heckles; 05-28-2011 at 06:19 PM.

vCash
    When I read sepsis had set in I knew he was very critical: My father ended up in a wheelchair from a car accident in 2008. In 2009 he was weakened but went in for minor surgery and sepsis set in from an undiagnosed bladder infection. 36 hours later he was dead. The family doctor was very sunny and hopeful while the infectious disease doctor told us there was 99% chance that this was fatal. What they had to do just to keep him alive was awful. We removed the respirator. And I respect the second doc for the truth no matter how terrible.

I know it is harsh to say Jeff is a cautionary tale but it is hard to see someone so blessed fall so hard. I too injured my back from lifting my father (he was 300 lbs.) The doctor I went to gave me morphine (pills.) They were WONDERFUL. But after Dad died my back pain diminished (as it often does with my injury) but that itch for those pills didn't go away. To the Doc's credit he cut the prescription over an 8 month period as he said he thought my back would heal in that time. He was right. But if someone presented me with a bottle of that again.....I feel anger towards those people who enabled him and probably sucked the money away he made from residuals. I think those bloodsuckers--and I bet Charlie Sheen has plenty of them---are slime.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Dr. Drew. Let's be real. The drugs did not get into his lungs and prevent him from dealing with the aspiration pneumonia (which is what I read he said on TMZ). Someone who has aspiration is OUT OF IT. Many alcoholics or addicts who fall asleep on their backs end up vomiting and aspirating it while unconscious. That's the deal. So maybe he didn't die of an overdose (I.E. flat out apnea and eventually asystole), but he probably died of an aspiration due to an impaired state.
    When I saw him on Drug Rehab or whatever, I realized he needs SERIOUS intervention, not some Hollywood/Dr.Drew thing, but his ass needed to be in a locked up space for 1-3 months, drug and alcohol free. You knew watching Rehab he had no desire for it. I am not surprised he is dead.
    Having said that. I watched Taxi, I was an uber fan of Grease and thought Kenickie was way hotter than John Revolta. He always held it against "Hollywood" or whoever because he didn't get Danny Zuko for the film though he played him on Broadway. That's the breaks. I also wish I had been placed on the A team for the swimming relay event that happened each year. I don't use drugs to deal with it.
    And as someone who has dealt with a chronic back issue (herniated discs L3L4, L4L5, L5S1) from my previous athletic pursuits, I refused narcotics. It's way toooooo easy to take a Hydro and maybe feel better painwise, but emotionally wise you are really screwing yourself up. I didn't even take an aspirin for when I was writhing on the floor in pain unable to stand up because my legs and back were spasming from the herniated discs. You know what? I'm drug free. It could have become my (doctor approved) lifestyle, but I had already seen what Hydro and Vico had done to my friends.
    His death is sad, but he clearly had no determination to fight it. He succumbed. And that is sad. But his whole outburst on Rehab just made me turn it off. It's like "This man is minutes away from killing himself with his addiction and let's just make it CelebRehab history fodder". Never watched after he left in that wheelchair. Horrible stuff, especially when I've known addicts (lawyers/doctors) just like him doing the same thing.
    RIP. And you are in a better place, Jeffrey Charles William Michael Conaway. You entertained us, and have left an impression on us. Best to you..

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    And as someone who has dealt with a chronic back issue (herniated discs L3L4, L4L5, L5S1) from my previous athletic pursuits, I refused narcotics. It's way toooooo easy to take a Hydro and maybe feel better painwise, but emotionally wise you are really screwing yourself up. I didn't even take an aspirin for when I was writhing on the floor in pain unable to stand up because my legs and back were spasming from the herniated discs. You know what? I'm drug free. It could have become my (doctor approved) lifestyle, but I had already seen what Hydro and Vico had done to my friends.
    Oh bully for you. Congratulations for playing the martyr and refusing drugs in favour of writhing on the floor in pain.

Everyone who takes painkillers does't turn into an addict FFS. I work with hundreds of miners, and almost all of them have back injuries of some sort. I think I know of two that are addicted to their pain meds.

I'm sorry for your back injuries, but just because you chose to suffer rather than take the medication (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that choice), doesn't mean the choice to responsibly medicate so one can live a normal life is a terrible thing to do. Sheesh!

As for Jeff's addiction, I would guess he was so deep into decades of drug abuse, nothing could save him. That was very clear on both seasons of Celebrity Rehab he appeared in. I knew we'd hear this news sooner or later.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Excellent work, as always, Dr Drew! Clearly on-camera "rehab" was exactly what he needed.

Tell me, is this the second or third Celebrity Rehab alumnus to die within the past year?

vCash
    I won't hold Dr. Drew responsible for this. As many doctors and therapists can admit, sometimes patients die. It is a sad, harsh reality.

vCash
    I won't hold Dr. Drew responsible for this. As many doctors and therapists can admit, sometimes patients die. It is a sad, harsh reality.
    Of course it isn't entirely his fault. Addicts die sometimes. I'm sure Dr Drew did his best. That being said, I hate that show and I don't think that what anyone needs when they are that far in the depths of an illness is a reality tv show. I think it's totally unethical and Dr Drew should lose his board certification.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Of course it isn't entirely his fault. Addicts die sometimes. I'm sure Dr Drew did his best. That being said, I hate that show and I don't think that what anyone needs when they are that far in the depths of an illness is a reality tv show. I think it's totally unethical and Dr Drew should lose his board certification.
    As someone who enjoyed Dr. Drew on Loveline, I have to say I was shocked and disappointed that he'd do such an unethical show like this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I hate that show and I don't think that what anyone needs when they are that far in the depths of an illness is a reality tv show.
    I thought that the doctor's licensing should be investigated after he put Heidi Fleiss and Tom Sizemore in the same unit, considering their violent history together and considering Sizemore's still violent. I don't see how that's healthy for anyone.

vCash
    They made amends, didn't they?
    And from recent reports, Tom is still sober.

vCash
    They made amends, didn't they?
    Not really, and even if they had, it was still questionable for Dr. Drew to be putting two people with that type of history in a unit together. In rehab Tom threw other people's food and things around after Heidi called him a name after Tom threatened another patient, and later Heidi announced to Tom and the group that men like Tom turn women gay. Who's helped from that?

vCash
    I don't know. Maybe Tom?
    Dr. Drew was right about one thing...Heidi was already really enmeshed in the criminal mind. IMO, she's a sociopath.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    Oh bully for you. Congratulations for playing the martyr and refusing drugs in favour of writhing on the floor in pain.

Everyone who takes painkillers does't turn into an addict FFS. I work with hundreds of miners, and almost all of them have back injuries of some sort. I think I know of two that are addicted to their pain meds.

I'm sorry for your back injuries, but just because you chose to suffer rather than take the medication (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that choice), doesn't mean the choice to responsibly medicate so one can live a normal life is a terrible thing to do. Sheesh!
    as someone who had 2 back surgeries (L4/L5) within 18 months, I agree with all that Kim has to say. Because I needed/asked for pain medications to deal with the constant horrible pain does not turn me into an addict. Both the patient and the physician need to be aware of the potential to abuse. And if the disc gets blown out again, I will need to have rods inserted to stablize the spine. I can tell you that I will take pain meds to control the pre and post surgical pain.

As for Jeff's addiction, I would guess he was so deep into decades of drug abuse, nothing could save him. That was very clear on both seasons of Celebrity Rehab he appeared in. I knew we'd hear this news sooner or later.
    I agree. And there are always physicians out there that will prescribe drugs when asked without asking about any other drug use. I would say that today physicians should/would refer someone to a pain management clinic with doctors who specialize in treating chronic pain.

There are demons that exist in many people's lives - we just have different demons. And some people like Jeff Conway have a very public viewing of their demons. I still hope that the demons that followed Jeff here allow him some peace in death.

vCash
    Very nice, 123.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast