Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Taxi star Jeff Conaway has passed away (UPDATE 5/27)

Jeff Conaway's manager says the former star of "Taxi" and "Grease" is in a coma following a drug overdose, possibly from pain pills. Manager Phil Brock says the 60-year-old actor was found unconscious on May 11. He is hospitalized in critical condition.

Brock says Conaway is in a coma in an Encino, Calif., hospital and his recovery is uncertain.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110519/...hpc3RhcmplZmY-

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Can't say I'm surprised.

He was a total mess on Celebrity Rehab, and I don't think he ever had any real intention of getting sober.

Cryin' ass shame, though. I remember when he was on Taxi (I was 10 ) and thought he was much cuter than Tony Danza .
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Oh dear. I loved him as Zack Allen on "Babylon 5." I wish one of my radio stations around here carried Jerry Doyle's show (he played Michael Garibaldi); I bet he has some comments on it.

vCash
    Whenever I see him in Grease, it always makes me a bit sad...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised.

He was a total mess on Celebrity Rehab, and I don't think he ever had any real intention of getting sober.

Cryin' ass shame, though..
    ^^^
    This!

vCash
    What a surprise. Well if he passes away hopefully he'll finally be at peace. He will be a cautionary tale for those who remain. Some legacy.

vCash
    Yes, let's all kick him while he's down. Obviously you don't feel the same as John Donne re any man's death diminieshes me but don't actively look forward to it. That's kind of icky.

I also loved him on Taxi.

I'll Check my collar, collar, hey, hey, ey
    vCash
    I watched him on Celebrity Rehab and it was upsetting to see the state he was in. So sad, he's incredibly talented.

vCash
    He was my favourite character on Taxi. So much talent. It is very sad.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I'll be praying for him. I, too, loved him on Taxi and grew up watching the reruns.

-Aslan's Girl

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    What a waste...I'm so sorry! He was a beautiful, beautiful man. I hosted him once for a "Grease" promotion while I was special events director for a major department store chain. I have a photo of him and myself together, and believe me, I'm not bad looking, but he was the prettier of the two of us!

God bless him. I hope he recovers.
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 05-20-2011 at 03:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

Cryin' ass shame, though. I remember when he was on Taxi (I was 10 ) and thought he was much cuter than Tony Danza .
    Mmm-hmmmm! Hate to hear about this, and I hope he recovers.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I heard on the radio that he now has pneumonia. I'm assuming he suffered the OD, probably vomited when "down", and aspirated. It's not an uncommon occurrence when someone goes down unresponsive at home for any reason. It doesn't sound good, and it's a shame. Count me as another who liked him on Taxi reruns.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Oh no, I loved him on Babylon 5 too. More than one cast member has died too soon. I hope he can pull through, but if nothing changes...

vCash
    So sad. They don't sound very hopeful that he will live.

vCash
    I watched Taxi every week growing up, but my hard drive is only so big and kind of antique, and I totally don't remember him on that show.

I do remember watching him on Celebrity Rehab (my favorite "I'm doing chores" show of choice because I don't really need to watch every moment). Total train wreck and I felt bad for him. People are very judgemental, but I think all of us have a vice, whether it's food, cigs, booze, drugs, watching sports 24/7, reading celeb gossip too much, you get my drift. I hope he gets better, but it sounds bad.

Was he on the Apprentice as well? I remember flipping channels and seeing a bunch of people on there over the years who had been on Dr. Drew's show. Not the best choice of show to be on when you're an addict (recovered or still using) or have self-esteem issues. I love reality TV, but I don't think it's for everyone (participant-wise).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    What a waste...I'm so sorry! He was a beautiful, beautiful man. I hosted him once for a "Grease" promotion while I was special events director for a major department store chain. I have a photo of him and myself together, and believe me, I'm not bad looking, but he was the prettier of the two of us!

God bless him. I hope he recovers.
    Holley, thanks for sharing.
    I'm glad to know,
    Your experience balances much of what we've heard about him recently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    People are very judgemental, but I think all of us have a vice, whether it's food, cigs, booze, drugs, watching sports 24/7, reading celeb gossip too much, you get my drift.
    Correct, but on the show he was belligerent and even physically threatening to anyone who tried to help him, for example, he went nuts on anyone who pointed out that he smuggled in drugs to rehab. He yelled that he didn't bring in the drugs, his pants did. As if his pants went walking around outside at night, bought drugs, and quietly returned next to Jeff's bed. Bad, bad pants!

He also repeatedly said that he should have had the lead role in the movie Grease. Sheee-yeah.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I think Conaway did have the lead of Danny Zuko on stage. But as John Travolta was by then big box office following Saturday Night Fever, it was logical that Travolta would get Zuko. At least Conaway got the role of Kenickie.
    I saw his stint on drug rehab. Wasn't he in such bad condition that he was in a wheelchair? And then had to leave because he suffered seizures or something like that? It was horrible, and he didn't seem to care that he was (and already showed evidence of) destroying himself.
    A very sad situation, and yeah, pretty sure this pneumonia is aspiration pneumonia while he was down. He could die, but then again, it's pretty hard to die these days in the hospital. Most of the time addicts die while drugging and are DOA to the hospital.
    I wish him and his family well.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Some reports are saying that he never overdosed and was only ever admitted because of pneumonia. Dr. Drew confirmed this himself and he isn't one to try and cover up abuse. If anything, he will speculate about abuse with very little proof. He says the press started the rumor and it was easily believable so no one checked it out. What do you believe?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast