Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Morozov turned down chance to coach Mao


  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,358
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That's interesting. Thanks for posting. I wonder who the journalist Jack Gallagher is, as he seems to have more than a casual journalist's knowledge of figure skating. Before it was mentioned in the article, I was not surprised to read the reason why Morozov chose Miki over Mao -- that's what I figured before I read it. Morozov enjoys a challenge, and maybe he saw something else in Miki that he liked. I wish they had kept the more edgy sp from earlier in the season. Skating pretty is not really Miki's style, although she can do it fairly well with Morozov's guidance.

    Gallagher's take on Yu Na ("skating needs the excitement she brings") may be true to a point. Yu Na may have style and grace, but I don't think it makes for electricity. I think the excitement was more related to seeing her programs for the first time, since she hadn't skated all year, plus much of the excitement was probably due to the fact Worlds took place at all this year, and the Russians were pretty pumped up about it taking place in Moscow.

    In any case, I think Yu Na still needs to develop in a number of areas, and one of the problems is, how willing and hungry is she now (after winning Olympic gold) to continue to improve? Will she just be continuing in order to be a good patriot and to do her duty in representing her country and not let down her fans? I was eager to see Yu Na's performances at Worlds, but aside from some lovely moments, she didn't pull everything together -- her focus wasn't there, or maybe she wasn't in peak competition form.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    89
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I guess people don't just like Yuna, they love her. I don't think Worlds was as Yuna-centric as that reporter does. In fact I had to force myself to watch Ladies at all. It was the cracktastic Men's competition that I found fascinating. I continue to wonder why it seems like a lot of people see figure skating as if it begins and ends with the Ladies competition.

    Anywho, it is interesting that Morozov chose Miki over Mao. But you can never guess what would have happened if. I would tend to think a skater will still fulfill most of their potential either way.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,358
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ I agree it is hard to predict what would have happened if Morozov had chosen otherwise. But I disagree that skaters necessarily will still fulfill most of their potential no matter who their coach happens to be. For example, I think Evan would not have been as successful without Frank, or he might have been a different skater with some success, but not necessarily OGM. Evan also credits Frank for his success.

    Morozov tapped into Adam's unique potential and helped him move up in juniors and get noticed, not to mention win World juniors twice. Morozov helped Shizuka Arakawa win OGM -- maybe one of the reasons the Japan fed later gave him a choice between working with Miki or Mao to achieve similar magic. I don't necessarily like the direction Morozov has gone in with Amodio, but can't argue with the gains Amodio achieved this season. Like the article states, Miki was at a crossroads, and Morozov helped guide her down the path to success. She'd already had a few coaches and hadn't made a great deal of progress. Morozov has definitely worked some wonders with Miki -- maybe most of all helping her believe in herself (and train harder ).

    I agree with you re the reporter likely overstating the Yu Na factor at Worlds, although I'm sure Yu Na's fans were really excited about seeing her programs for the first time. The whole thing with Ladies being the be all and end all, well, maybe it started with Sonja Henie when she shortened her skirts, and the whole shift to Ladies taking prominence in figure skating took off from there (even as the skirts got shorter and shorter) The whole ladies tradition in figure skating has been particularly rife in the United States.

    The men have been the most exciting thing in figure skating for some time now, somewhat pre-Johnny Weir, but especially circa Johnny's best years, with the depth in the men's field continuing to deepen. I am certainly more interested in and excited about the men and ice dance right now more than ladies and pairs (although I love S/S in pairs, and V/T are looking very good, especially with Sochi coming up in 2014). I also loved Shen/ Zhao, and Pang/ Tong have had some great programs.

    The ladies have been problematic. Even with Yu Na and Mao at the top in recent years, the field is not very inspiring, as a lot of times they just seem to lack magic, or if there is magic on occasion, it is so inconsistent. Having been spoiled by the Michelle Kwan years, I wish Mirai, Alissa, Ashley, someone would just take hold and begin to dominate with a number of others making it a close battle. I think some edgier skating or at least challenging battles (a la ladies Worlds '95 and '96, even '97, '99, 2000, 2001, 2004) tends to inspire and enliven the field. Right now, some would say that Yu Na dominates, but there really hasn't been any thrilling close battles, and Yu Na has been inconsistent at times too. Overall, in recent years ladies comps have been uneven.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,113
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    I remember Morozov took on Oda when Takahashi was with him, and Takahashi left him. Apparently he didn't consult Takahashi about it first. He does seem to overextend himself sometimes. Rippon's complaint about him was that he didn't always have a coach to work with.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I remember Morozov took on Oda when Takahashi was with him, and Takahashi left him. Apparently he didn't consult Takahashi about it first. He does seem to overextend himself sometimes. Rippon's complaint about him was that he didn't always have a coach to work with.
    That is Morozov's biggest flaw, he wants to work with all these skaters so he can have his name in their bio, but at the end of the day how much time is he really spending developing all of them? It can't be much; I counted I think 8 people he is working with right now, does he not sleep or do the skaters get screwed?

    I also find it ironic that the Russian Federation wanted him (a Russian) to come to Russia and train only Russian skaters yet he is training them in the US this summer.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,113
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    That is Morozov's biggest flaw, he wants to work with all these skaters so he can have his name in their bio, but at the end of the day how much time is he really spending developing all of them? It can't be much; I counted I think 8 people he is working with right now, does he not sleep or do the skaters get screwed?

    I also find it ironic that the Russian Federation wanted him (a Russian) to come to Russia and train only Russian skaters yet he is training them in the US this summer.
    I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that coaches like Morozov, Tom Z. and Frank Carroll direct a team of coaches rather than teach skaters how to jump and spin themselves. Apparently Morozov is great at choreography and inspiring his students, but not so great at time management. He seems to have a short attention span

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    794
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ The ladies have been problematic. Even with Yu Na and Mao at the top in recent years, the field is not very inspiring, as a lot of times they just seem to lack magic, or if there is magic on occasion, it is so inconsistent. Having been spoiled by the Michelle Kwan years, I wish Mirai, Alissa, Ashley, someone would just take hold and begin to dominate with a number of others making it a close battle. I think some edgier skating or at least challenging battles (a la ladies Worlds '95 and '96, even '97, '99, 2000, 2001, 2004) tends to inspire and enliven the field. Right now, some would say that Yu Na dominates, but there really hasn't been any thrilling close battles, and Yu Na has been inconsistent at times too. Overall, in recent years ladies comps have been uneven.
    I have been trying to figure this out. I have been a skating fan since 1968 and since then there has been NO time that I have been less interested in skating than right now, beginning about two years ago. I can't figure out what my problem is. True, I was rapt during the Kwan years, but I liked skating before she was even born. I don't think that skaters have less ability than skaters across the years. I certainly complained about skate, skate, jump before COP, and now I complain about cookie cutter programs. Overall there are probably the same number of WOW programs to Hoo Hum programs as there have always been. I just don't get it. Men are the only thing interesting out there.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    730
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    That is Morozov's biggest flaw, he wants to work with all these skaters so he can have his name in their bio, but at the end of the day how much time is he really spending developing all of them? It can't be much; I counted I think 8 people he is working with right now, does he not sleep or do the skaters get screwed?
    I also find it ironic that the Russian Federation wanted him (a Russian) to come to Russia and train only Russian skaters yet he is training them in the US this summer.
    Oh, the skaters get SCREWED all right.... LOL...

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    103
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    Oh, the skaters get SCREWED all right.... LOL...
    It appears getting screwed is contractual with Morosov

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,113
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    I have been trying to figure this out. I have been a skating fan since 1968 and since then there has been NO time that I have been less interested in skating than right now, beginning about two years ago. I can't figure out what my problem is. True, I was rapt during the Kwan years, but I liked skating before she was even born. I don't think that skaters have less ability than skaters across the years. I certainly complained about skate, skate, jump before COP, and now I complain about cookie cutter programs. Overall there are probably the same number of WOW programs to Hoo Hum programs as there have always been. I just don't get it. Men are the only thing interesting out there.
    If you are going to focus on athletics and individual components, which the COP does, the men are going to be more exciting because as a group they are physically stronger.

    The female stars of bygone eras had sex appeal (Sonja, Peggy, Katarina, Nancy etc). The women nowadays are too childlike to generate much of that. In the past skaters were judged on the overall impression they created, now they are rewarded for speed, stamina, and jumping ability.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •