Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blarney01 View Post
    First, John is one of the nicest and most genuine guys out there, who has worked hard for many years, has proven to be a great partner and consistent skater, maybe not as fluid ...Caitlin is a graceful skater but has regularly struggled with sbs jumping and landing throws consistently..they had a great, inspired year, one year! Now give both of them an equal chance (and respect) to do well with new partners before blasting one or the other.
    Good Luck John & Caydee Good Luck to Caitlin as well
    Who is Caitlin's new partner?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Even though I knew this was coming, it still feels a bit shocking.

I suppose if we knew what really went down, it wouldn't be so annoying. As of right now, all I feel is sympathy for Caitlin and disgust with Coughlin, whether either of them deserve it or not.

I don't care how petty it is. I'm not all that willing to give this team a chance.

vCash
    Well, IIRC Lebron James was actually offered MORE money to stay in Cleveland. He took a lesser offer to have a better chance at an NBA championship. It remains to be seen whether that will pay off for him in the short- and long-run. So the common thought "athletes follow $" isn't always true. The most competitive ones care most about winning, with $ being secondary (or maybe just a nice big plus)

I don't know what the financial situation here is, but Caydee Denney has weaknesses as a skater that can't be fixed by throwing money around.
    I don't know what the situation is- but suppose the alternative was quitting skating altogether, and he didn't want to quit?

I hate to speculate, but I really can't think of any other logical explanation for such a ??? decision.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Whatever "weaknesses" people may feel Caydee Denney has she has won a national championship. And can probably do it again.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    That's funny. Tai Babilonias' comment....
    LOL I was waiting for Tai to comment...

vCash
    First, John is one of the nicest and most genuine guys out there, who has worked hard for many years, has proven to be a great partner and consistent skater, maybe not as fluid ...Caitlin is a graceful skater but has regularly struggled with sbs jumping and landing throws consistently..they had a great, inspired year, one year! Now give both of them an equal chance (and respect) to do well with new partners before blasting one or the other.
    Good Luck John & Caydee Good Luck to Caitlin as well
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Who is Caitlin's new partner?
    And Blarney - this is your second post ever on FSU, who are you really - someone in the Caydee camp? Some one who is not a Caitlin fan as far as I can determine.

And yse BR - WHO Is Caitlin's partner - Caitlin seemingly to be out in the cold here.

Caydee and John are going to have to provide mega results asap for me to think that this is a good move. Meaning medal ASAP.

vCash
    they had a great, inspired year, one year!
    You say this as if they've had a 12 year career and only managed to have one good year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Seems to me that most athletes care about winning and not just about the money. Also, weaker teams are often weaker because they can't afford to get top players, unless there's a salary cap. But I'm not sure it's much of a parallel anyway - I don't know what the financial situation here is, but Caydee Denney has weaknesses as a skater that can't be fixed by throwing money around. Whereas if the Phillies are unhappy with, say, their starting pitching, they can go sign a top free agent: problem fixed.
    Sure athletes care about winning... But they also care about getting playing time (which may only be found on a weaker team), they care about getting along with teammates and coaches, they care about a team's philosophy, they care about where the team is physically located, they care about how much they are getting paid, they care about the length of their contract even if it means they may not be getting paid as much... We could go on and on. Obviously skating is different, but the general idea is the same--There are a million reasons for why athletes want to be on certain teams. I'm assuming John has more than one reason for doing what he's doing.

vCash
    Well, until an explanation (in SOME capacity) is given, people are going to continue to speculate...and as we can see, some of that speculation is not pretty. It is the decision of team D/C of course but ultimately, rumors sometimes have a funny way of converting themselves to "truth" if left unchecked...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Well, IIRC Lebron James was actually offered MORE money to stay in Cleveland. He took a lesser offer to have a better chance at an NBA championship. It remains to be seen whether that will pay off for him in the short- and long-run. So the common thought "athletes follow $" isn't always true. The most competitive ones care most about winning, with $ being secondary (or maybe just a nice big plus)
    I thought about LeBron when I posted my thoughts earlier (where I believe I said "many" or "most" athletes, I know better than to declare absolutes ). But he already had a $100M Nike contract in the can by the time he came to the NBA, and undoubtedly loads of other endorsement deals since then.... so at some point, yes, the money has diminishing returns, but most athletes aren't making LeBron money. I'm thinking more of, say, a running back in the NFL, who if lucky will play for 10 years. As much as he would love to win a SuperBowl his first priority is to get enough $$$ in the bank to last him for many decades of post-retirement life. But anyway, I guess we're getting off-topic, apologies.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Whatever "weaknesses" people may feel Caydee Denney has she has won a national championship. And can probably do it again.
    There are plenty of teams who have won pair nationals in Japan, it really doesn't mean anything if you don't have any competition.

This team at best will still hover around 6th or so provided they are better than the Canadians MT/M and D/R; or the Chinese S/H, the Japanese T/T and better then the rest of the US, I didn't bother with the rest of the world.............that remains to be seen.

Denney reminds me of the US version of Moore-Towers.

PS maybe LeBron would rather live where it's warm

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    There are plenty of teams who have won pair nationals in Japan, it really doesn't mean anything if you don't have any competition.

Well I don't think that's a fair comparison, but it certainly amounts to a dis of Evora & Ladwig, and Y&C for that matter, since those folks were the competition for Denney & Barret when they won.

I don't think outside of Russia there are that many high quality pair teams in the world. I always credit US teams for giving it a go, even if they don't exactly match up with Gordeeva & Grinkov or some other ideal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Ouch to the Facebook comment at the end of the press release. Icenetwork might want to think twice about leaving that comment up.
    I think Tai Babilonia's "No comment" says just as much as the comment you are refering to. I wonder why she left that comment...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think Tai Babilonia's "No comment" says just as much as the comment you are refering to. I wonder why she left that comment...
    IIRC, Tai left a similarly vaguely negative comment on the Y/C icenetwork breakup article.

I can't help but wonder about Delilah's involvement in all of this. I mean... she was obviously very involved. I've never been a big fan of her coaching, not to mention her habit of pairing 11-year-olds with 20somethings, but I liked that the US had a pairs skating hub of some sort. But this is just so dirty. I'm glad Caitlin is getting out of Colorado.

vCash
    Well I don't think that's a fair comparison, but it certainly amounts to a dis of Evora & Ladwig, and Y&C for that matter, since those folks were the competition for Denney & Barret when they won.

I don't think outside of Russia there are that many high quality pair teams in the world. I always credit US teams for giving it a go, even if they don't exactly match up with Gordeeva & Grinkov or some other ideal.
    Three teams does not a competition make especially since they give out 4 medals. If M/B all of a sudden get 3rd or 2nd place at nationals does that mean they are going to medal anywhere else? Probably not, it just means there was hardly any competition ahead of them and they were able to capitalize on it. It happens in other random competitions around the world. Hopefully D/C they will switch coaches and get a good choreographer, otherwise they will be no better off than they were before.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Three teams does not a competition make especially since they give out 4 medals. If M/B all of a sudden get 3rd or 2nd place at nationals does that mean they are going to medal anywhere else? Probably not, it just means there was hardly any competition ahead of them and they were able to capitalize on it. It happens in other random competitions around the world. Hopefully D/C they will switch coaches and get a good choreographer, otherwise they will be no better off than they were before.
    Well there were more than three teams at US nationals so I think it was a competition. And I think that US pairs put a lot of effort into their skating, even if few of them ever reach the top in the world. I don't think they should all be dismissed with a wave of a hand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Even though I knew this was coming, it still feels a bit shocking.

I suppose if we knew what really went down, it wouldn't be so annoying. As of right now, all I feel is sympathy for Caitlin and disgust with Coughlin, whether either of them deserve it or not.

I don't care how petty it is. I'm not all that willing to give this team a chance.
    (((Caitlin)))

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Probably because she's sick of b*tching about pairs breaking up and doesn't know what to say anymore. There's only so many times you can say "pairs teams used to stay together in the old days"... I agree with her but this many breakups is a bit ridiculous.

vCash
    If you have "no comment," why not just not leave a comment?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    ^ I follow Tai on FB and Twitter and yes she is deeply concerned for the state of US pairs and the effect that COP is having. "When you can't say something nice..."
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    If you have "no comment," why not just not leave a comment?
    because you really do have a comment and the best way as your momma said is "to not say anything bad about someone is to say anything at all".

You left your comment without saying negative things? And let the reader draw their own conclusions?

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast