Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    So once a pair breaks up, neither pair can skate again with someone else?
    What most people are saying is that if you want to break up with your partner, to skate with somebody else (like your girlfriend ), you should at least have the guts to admit it.

Instead of fabricating a ridiculous, totally inconvincing "I was going to retire... but suddenly an angel from heaven turned up and changed my mind" story.

John Coughlin could have produced a press release saying "things with Caitlin haven't been working out recently, we had some differences, blah blah blah" and then it would have been a totally different story.

People of course would still be moaning but at least he wouldn't come out of this looking like a complete asshat.

vCash
    They should have stayed together for the sake of the children.

Or the fans.

No matter how miserable or dissatisfied Coughlin was.

Or given us a convincing explanatiion. Because he owed it to us. Absolutely.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    What most people are saying is that if you want to break up with your partner, to skate with somebody else (like your girlfriend ), you should at least have the guts to admit it.
    Except I have never seen a press release announcing "I'm breaking up with so-and-so to skate with that-other-one." The team that is breaking up sends a PR and then later there is one for any new team(s) that form.

I think it's just considered bad form in the skating world to mix the two. After all, the old team is one entity and the new team is a new entity. There are different families involved, sometimes different coaches, clubs and/or rinks. Plus, you want to give the original team it's due with everyone get a chance to put a quote in and have an agreed upon story line without muddying the waters with the business and priorities of the new team.

It would be like two companies issuing a joint press release to say that an employee is moving from one to the other. You don't see that either.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Except I have never seen a press release announcing "I'm breaking up with so-and-so to skate with that-other-one." The team that is breaking up sends a PR and then later there is one for any new team(s) that form.
    Read my entire post. I didn't say that the press release should look like that. You didn't quote the bit where I wrote how I expected it to be written so I'll repeat it:

You do see press releases when skaters say that they had personal differences, or that things didn't work out, or that they wanted to move on and try new challenges and so on and so forth (the Crone/Poirer break-up is a very good example of that).

If John said something along those lines in his press release, instead of that very stupid lie that doesn't hold ground at all, than he'd come out of that looking much better.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 07-22-2011 at 02:50 PM.

vCash
    John's a good guy. Lots of reports of that. My gut says it really is the story or it's something way bad that shouldn't be aired and he's not.

vCash
    And has he really dated all his partners? Kelsey? Bridget? He dated stephanie kuban for a while....during his pairing with caitlin.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If John said something along those lines in his press release, instead of that very stupid lie that doesn't hold ground at all, than he'd come out of that looking much better.
    But I don't think it was a stupid lie. I know a couple of skaters who did retire because they thought they didn't want to skate any more. But after they got some distance from the sport, they realized it wasn't skating they didn't want to do but skating with their particular partner (and the rest of his or her team).

I really believe that John thought he wanted to retire. He's dealing with his mom's death on top of whatever was going on in his partnership and sometimes processing a parent's death includes making stupid decisions. Deciding to retire and then deciding not to retire is not so strange even for an athlete not in his situation.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435