Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    You know this makes me really wish that somebody without a minimum score, because they never got the chance to compete internationally, surprisingly medals at Canadian Nats (or US Nats for that matter).
    Last edited by Ziggy; 07-01-2011 at 04:53 AM.

vCash
    Alas, what will happen to those skaters who are training in North America and hoping to get the minimum score to participate in 4CC this season? Now they should find some money to go to a European B?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    Alas, what will happen to those skaters who are training in North America and hoping to get the minimum score to participate in 4CC this season? Now they should find some money to go to a European B?
    Or Europeans (if they're Euro skaters training in the US).

And yes.

And most feds don't pay your costs for Senior Bs so most of them will have to fund the trip themselves.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

And most feds don't pay your costs for Senior Bs so most of them will have to fund the trip themselves.
    Unless something's changed in the last couple of years, there was no prize money at Nebelhorn, either. I'm not sure about the rest of the senior B's, or if there was an exhibition, and if so, if they got paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You know this makes me really wish that somebody without a minimum score, because they never got the chance to compete internationally, surprisingly medals at Canadian Nats (or US Nats for that matter).
    Last season, they couldn't put Elladj Balde on the alternates list for Worlds, because he hadn't qualified a minimum score. He was fifth, but only 1.69 points behind Kevin Reynolds, who was resting an injury that had hampered him since the fall, but went back on the ice prematurely when he was called to replace Shawn Sawyer. Very bright.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Last season, they couldn't put Elladj Balde on the alternates list for Worlds, because he hadn't qualified a minimum score. He was fifth, but only 1.69 points behind Kevin Reynolds, who was resting an injury that had hampered him since the fall, but went back on the ice prematurely when he was called to replace Shawn Sawyer. Very bright.
    Yes, I remember. I am talking exactly about situations like that.

What if Balde scored a little higher and ended up on the podium?

He wouldn't be able to do 4CC or Worlds. Can you imagine...

vCash
    I really hope Elladj Baldé and Adriana DeSanctis (both were 5th at Canadians) are sent to Nebelhorn to get the minimum GP score.

It will be interesting to see which other skaters and teams Skate Canada will send. Alexandra Najarro (4th at 2011 Canadians) and Liam Firus (6th) are both JGP age-eligible for one last season. 7th and 8th at Canadians were Ronald Lam and Ian Martinez (Martinez's only GP was 2008 Skate America and Lam has never been to a Senior B).

vCash
    Firus is staying junior for sure. Najarro should but given the state of Canada's ladies, could inadvertently do well enough to get sent to 4CC.

It's wierd - before the 2007 Worlds Skate Canada mentioned that they knew they were doing something wrong with skating development but it seems that they just didn't care. With one or two star athletes, they seem to be happy. Disappointing.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Interesting about Firus. He had such a disappointing Jr. Worlds this year, but he's a beautiful skater. Maybe he wants to up the technical ante first on the junior circuit. (And, of course, he's already likely to have met the new minimum scores last season and would have been eligible for the alternates list.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I should've posted a source for my assertion

“Primarily I have been working on my triple Axel, but I have not forgotten my basic skating skills and program components,” Firus said of his training plan. “I think the triple Axel is a primary factor in moving up in the ISU standings this year, and it also never hurts to improve the program component side of skating. I am going to stay on the junior circuit one more year to try to gain as many ISU points as I can. The locations of the events this season are great, and I am looking forward to traveling to wherever I get assigned.”
    So as you assumed, upping the technical ante is definitely a factor.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Good for Firus with this plan. ETA: Many thanks for the article (and my new signature line). It's always great to read about a BC skater who isn't part of Cult McLeod.

I hope Dallas Daniel does the same. I lurved her at Canadian Nats last year.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 07-01-2011 at 06:00 PM.

vCash
    I was very favourably impressed with Dallas , too..

And can I just say..JM is a monster ( and her clothes are imaginary ) in my admittedly humble ( but developed by many decades of watching ) opinion .

vCash
    I agree that the cancellation of the Sr B is disappointing, however I heard that the US wasn't planning on sending anyone, including officials and that's why it was cancelled.

vCash
    Is that just life or is it deliberate lack of support? Hmmm...
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kppt View Post
    I agree that the cancellation of the Sr B is disappointing, however I heard that the US wasn't planning on sending anyone, including officials and that's why it was cancelled.
    Does anyone know if and when Skate Canada notified USFS that it was planning to make Thornhill a Senior B? I wondered why an official competition announcement for the Senior B portion of Thornhill wasn't published online early on? Was an announcement ever drafted and distributed?

I believe it may have come as a surprise to USFS and that could explain why they (allegedly) weren't able to come up with the funds to send skaters (their international competition budgets are planned well ahead of time, AFAIK). And wouldn't the expenses of the judges and technical panel officials be paid for by Skate Canada?

If there is going to be a successful Senior B or two organized in North America in the future, communication and early planning between Skate Canada and USFS is the key, IMO.

vCash
    I don't see that it is unreasonable to tell those who want a Senior B that they need to pay their own way -- I'm sure that there would be no shortage of skaters willing to do so. Perhaps the USFSA could provide travelships for financially needy skaters, but it isn't as if Thornhill is really tough or really expensive to get to. I can't imagine that the costs would be much different from going to Indy Pairs or Lake Placid Dance, and plenty of skaters manage that. (I'd still like to see them figure out a way to make both Indy and Lake Placid Senior B's, or add a Senior B component to each of them.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Interesting about Firus. He had such a disappointing Jr. Worlds this year, but he's a beautiful skater. Maybe he wants to up the technical ante first on the junior circuit. (And, of course, he's already likely to have met the new minimum scores last season and would have been eligible for the alternates list.)
    Rumor has it that Firus is headed to Australia for his first JGP. (This came to me through a couple of kids so take that for what it is worth )
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    International Figure Skating Competitions 2011/2012 - Color Version
    July 2011 (Updated Version July 11, 2011) -- direct link to PDF: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db/files/serve.php?id=2704

A newly added competition is the Winter Games New Zealand in Dunedin NZL, August 10–14, 2011.

Also, the 3rd Mont Blanc Trophy March 13–18, 2012, in Courmayeur, ITA has Deleted Pairs, added Dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    A newly added competition is the Winter Games New Zealand in Dunedin NZL, August 10–14, 2011.
    Very interesting. Is this competition considered as a senior B, too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I don't see that it is unreasonable to tell those who want a Senior B that they need to pay their own way -- I'm sure that there would be no shortage of skaters willing to do so. Perhaps the USFSA could provide travelships for financially needy skaters, but it isn't as if Thornhill is really tough or really expensive to get to. I can't imagine that the costs would be much different from going to Indy Pairs or Lake Placid Dance, and plenty of skaters manage that. (I'd still like to see them figure out a way to make both Indy and Lake Placid Senior B's, or add a Senior B component to each of them.)
    How do we convince USFS/ SC to make a bigger push to get one or two Sr B events in the Americas?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    How do we convince USFS/ SC to make a bigger push to get one or two Sr B events in the Americas?
    good question

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast