Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Arrow 2011/12 ISU International Competition Schedule (Thornhill added as a Senior B)

See ISU Communication No. 1676: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/co...s-item,00.html
    (There's also a colored chart PDF.)

2 new Senior B competitions have been added to the schedule:
    August 11 – 14, 2011 Thornhill, ON Canada Summer Skate 2011, Ladies, Men, Pairs
    Senior, Junior, Novice
    August 24 – 28, 2011 Dongguan China Asian Figure Skating Trophy Senior, Junior, Ladies, Men, Pairs Organized by HKG
    ETA:

Link to the Grand Prix Pre-Announcement info/discussion thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78719

Link to the Junior Grand Prix Announcement info & general discussion thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78782
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-17-2011 at 02:12 PM.

vCash
    No dance for the senior B at Thornhill? That's disappointing given that it'd be relatively inexpensive for USFSA/Skate Canada to send teams and spread the assignments around. Not to mention some of the smaller European federations with dance teams training within a fairly accessible distance.

But finally North America and Asia get a Senior B!

vCash
    could someone briefly explain the importance of "Senior B" events? New skating fan here lol...

vCash
    Why not the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championship?
    That event draws international participation, sometimes more than Thornhill does.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Senior B events (a.k.a. ISU-sanctioned International Competitions) allow skaters to

1. earn ISU World Standings points (if enough competitors from different nations compete) and
    2. establish an international competition score that can be used to meet the minimum technical element scores (short program and free skate) required for entry into ISU Championships (new requirement as of the 2010-11 season).

ISU Championships are Euros, Four Continents, Jr. Worlds and Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Why not the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championship?
    That event draws international participation, sometimes more than Thornhill does.
    Thornhill is confirmed for men/ladies/pairs, according to Sylvia's post.

No word about dance yet. Perhaps that is still under negotiation.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    For context, here is an earlier discussion thread titled "Why are there no Senior B competitions in North America"? (page 5 of 5): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=76193&page=5

vCash
    THe Asian Figure Skating Trophy has been going on for a few years now, but always with very very low level skaters. Hopefully with this new status we'll see some bigger names from Japan or China at least.

vCash
    Detroit is so close and has so many great ice dancers, but I doubt that the best ones would want to show their new programs around that time. Too early.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    About time they added a Senior B somewhere on this side of the World.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    In the past, Thornhill has had dance events. It's been part of the summer challenge series with Montreal and BC/YC. Hopefully they'll continue to offer it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    THe Asian Figure Skating Trophy has been going on for a few years now, but always with very very low level skaters. Hopefully with this new status we'll see some bigger names from Japan or China at least.
    Is this considered a Regional competition? If it is restricted to Asian federations, it won't get ISU World Ranking points.

vCash
    Is this considered a Regional competition? If it is restricted to Asian federations, it won't get ISU World Ranking points.
    I got confused. Then how about Euro or Nordic Cup?
    Last edited by seabm7; 05-17-2011 at 09:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Detroit is so close and has so many great ice dancers, but I doubt that the best ones would want to show their new programs around that time. Too early.
    Actually, Scott and Tessa debuted their FD at Thornhill in Olympic year. Sometimes there are some teams that will get feedback on one of their programs. Maybe the idea is not to make this a Senior B for dance so that it remains open to other teams from around Canada who normally wouldn't go to a Senior B event. It's generally been quite a popular event.

Summer competitions for dancers in Canada are generally Minto, sometimes Lake Placid (it will have to be one or the other this year, I believe), and Thornhill. You might see more lower levels (Juvenile, Pre-Novice and Novice) at Summer Sizzle in Waterloo, and the odd Junior and/or Senior team. Monitoring is normally at either Minto or Lake Placid and Thornhill, and sometimes in Waterloo if there are enough teams registered.

vCash
    I'll surely be there

vCash
    I wonder what this means for Thornhill. Will tickets now be sold like they are for a major international event, or will its still be a walk in type of competition? I've been going to Thornhill for years, and was lucky enough to see many great skaters there (Virtue & Moir, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Lawrence & Swiegers, Crone & Poirier, Ralph & Hill, Paul & Islam, Langlois & Hay, Andrei Rogozine, etc) but there certainly isnt much seating room for fans. I wonder if this change of status will scare some of the regulars away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    I got confused. Then how about Euro or Nordic Cup?
    Euros is OK as long as there is also a 4CC.

Nordics has opened up the Senior Men and Ladies competition to competitors from non-Nordic federations. ISU points are awarded as long as there are enough competitors from other regions.

vCash
    Euros is OK as long as there is also a 4CC.

Nordics has opened up the Senior Men and Ladies competition to competitors from non-Nordic federations. ISU points are awarded as long as there are enough competitors from other regions.
    Thanks!

vCash
    An event in İstanbul! Magnificent!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Actually, Scott and Tessa debuted their FD at Thornhill in Olympic year. Sometimes there are some teams that will get feedback on one of their programs. Maybe the idea is not to make this a Senior B for dance so that it remains open to other teams from around Canada who normally wouldn't go to a Senior B event. It's generally been quite a popular event.

Summer competitions for dancers in Canada are generally Minto, sometimes Lake Placid (it will have to be one or the other this year, I believe), and Thornhill. You might see more lower levels (Juvenile, Pre-Novice and Novice) at Summer Sizzle in Waterloo, and the odd Junior and/or Senior team. Monitoring is normally at either Minto or Lake Placid and Thornhill, and sometimes in Waterloo if there are enough teams registered.
    In summer competitions, skaters sometimes just skate 1 SP or 1 LP to get it out there. If it`s a senior B, I doubt they will be allowed to do that, right? Maybe in a separate exhibition.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast