vCash

Top Chef Canada-ingredient Horse Meat

Knowing how much I love horses, this would offend me; however, I know there are many arguments to support this episode. Yes, I eat meat, but I would choose not to eat horse, cat or dog anywhere, anytime. I would not watch the episode.
    Top Chef Trots into Taboo territory

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Wow, I am really surprised they used horse meat. I would know better than that as a producer or someone in charge. You can't upset your viewers.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The thought of it is making me gag ... (((( Flicka )))) ... so, yeh, I don't think I'll ever look up the vid of this episode.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Eh. Meat is meat. I wouldn't eat one I *knew* was loaded with bute, but I'd rather open a mystery basket and find horse than deal with certain wacky things Chopped comes up with, purely from a cooking perspective.

Heck, if more people eating horse meat means bute gets banned completely, bring on the steaks. (Racing is very likely to lose all race-day meds by federal legislation soon anyway, thanks to gambling making it more regulated, but I'm all for any law or practice that makes the drug fiends in the hunter/jumper barns HAVE to put down the needles.)

vCash

Time for a puntastic response:

I understand the Canadian Equestrian Association has adopted a motto: Just Say Nay!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I think I might have eaten horse in France - it was couscous night at a restaurant in Aix, and it was supposed to be a platter of beef and lamb. The French lady next to us was sure it was horse.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Apparently quite often if you're eating a dried/cure meat product in Italy there's a fairly high chance it has equid of some kind in it (horse, donkey, etc.) I'm told horse is on the dry/lean side and "sweet" (in a meat sense of the term.)

In any case it sounds like the episode was something of a non-issue as far as ZOMG IT'S HORSEMEAT goes, as some guy just completely bombed having foie gras as his ingredient.

vCash
    That's so bizarre to me. I was grossed out on Game of Thrones when it was made clear that the major food source for one of the groups was horse.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    In any case it sounds like the episode was something of a non-issue as far as ZOMG IT'S HORSEMEAT goes, as some guy just completely bombed having foie gras as his ingredient.
    True, but Chris also completely ignored the advice of some of the others not to do his fois gras the way he did due to the time constraints of the Challenge. They were right too, but Chris was too arrogant to listen and in turn...

Wasn't sorry to see him go. He's been in the bottom pretty consistantly since the start of things and it really was only a matter of time.

The one thing that had me going "Huh?" at first and then snickering for the rest of the eppy last night was the warnings coming back from the breaks. About how some viewers might take offense to some of the proteins used in the episode, but then went on to state how the Skate had been enviromentally and ethicly produced.

Ummm...Food Network Canada? The problem wasn't w/the Skate you idiots!! Sheesh!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Yes, I eat meat, but I would choose not to eat horse, cat or dog anywhere, anytime. I would not watch the episode.
    Top Chef Trots into Taboo territory
    Uh... sorry, but what's the difference between eating a pig and eating a dog? The only difference I know is that pigs are much more intelligent than dogs.

I don't see how omnivores make these moral distinctions between which animals are eatable and which are not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Uh... sorry, but what's the difference between eating a pig and eating a dog? The only difference I know is that pigs are much more intelligent than dogs.
    I've heard that pigs are very intelligent and canine-like in their intelligence, but never have I heard that they are more intelligent than dogs. In fact, I'd wager that on average they are less intelligent simply because dogs have been deliberately bred for intelligence whereas pigs have not.

And there is a huge range of intelligence among dogs. Some have not been bred for intelligence. For example, dogs bred to be decorative and docile. I have meant a few rather dumb Pekingese (no offense intended).

I don't see how omnivores make these moral distinctions between which animals are eatable and which are not.
    The distinctions are often personal and people draw the line at different places. Some animal lovers who eat meat prefer animals to be free range and slaughtered humanely. More commonly, people prefer not to eat dog or horse because those animals serve companion and service purposes for humans. If you have an emotional attachment to an animal you may find the idea of eating one of its kind repugnant.

You may argue that the distinction isn't particular moral, but the repugnance is real. Most humans find the idea of eating other humans totally repugnant, but there have been cultures which sanction cannibalism and when human survival is threatened, a case can be made for it.

I eat meat but find the idea of fois gras and veal repugnant, so I choose not eat them. I just don't want to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I've heard that pigs are very intelligent and canine-like in their intelligence, but never have I heard that they are more intelligent than dogs. In fact, I'd wager that on average they are less intelligent simply because dogs have been deliberately bred for intelligence whereas pigs have not.
    Pigs are smarter than dogs. This is fact. Pigs are consistently rated 4th in overall animal intelligence, behind chimps, dolphins and elephants. They have the intelligence of a 3 or 4 year-old child.

vCash
    I think horse meat very good as a steak. I don't see anything emotional about eating them: I have taken care of cows, lambs, chickens and pigs during my life and loved them very much. I have still eaten them. Horse is no different.

What maters to me is that the animal gets to live a good life before I eat it. This condition is never fulfilled with pigs and chickens and thus I do not eat them anymore. Horses on the other hand have normally been taken very good care during their life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I've heard that pigs are very intelligent and canine-like in their intelligence, but never have I heard that they are more intelligent than dogs.
    Really? I'm kind of shocked--I thought that was pretty well known.

Some articles on the intelligence of dogs:

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-...ent-pig-a84448

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/pigs.html

Both articles make it clear that intelligence is often in the eye of the beholder, and the second one doesn't actually say which is smarter, but I think both make it clear that pigs can exhibit behaviors that make the species AT LEAST as intelligent as dogs.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Really? I'm kind of shocked--I thought that was pretty well known.

Both articles make it clear that intelligence is often in the eye of the beholder, and the second one doesn't actually say which is smarter, but I think both make it clear that pigs can exhibit behaviors that make the species AT LEAST as intelligent as dogs.
    I always thought the two breeds were similar in terms of intelligence but wasn't aware of the pig's capacity for abstract conceptualization - which I find very interesting. What makes dogs special in terms of their intelligence is their capacity to be trained and to companion or serve humans. This involves a strong ability to communicate and engage with humans that I think is unique to the dog, or at least stronger among dogs than other animals.

Pig's instinctive or natural intelligence is certainly very strong and possibly could be developed further. It's a shame that pigs are so underestimated in general, seen in such a negative light, and treated so horribly as a food resource.