Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

What Piece of Music should Mirai skate to next season?

This season I just hated her music choices. I don't know if she picked them out or if Lori did but I think they were step back compared to her programs from the Olympic season. I actually loved her SP and LP from that season. But the 2011 season programs just looked thrown together and boring.
    So, I'm thinking I would like to see her do something a little more challenging. Maybe some Romeo & Juliet, or maybe Cinderella. I think she could portray those characters well.
    I just love those pieces of music. I haven't heard a skater skate to them in a while. What do you guys think? Good choice or bad?

vCash
    I wish Mirai would consider the score to Stavisky. She could skate to the theme and perhaps "Salon at Claridge #2" or another selection.

vCash
    Not sure why R&J would be more "challenging," the Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Rota versions have been done to death and I don't really see Mirai as Juliet anyway
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yctfXIqugXc Dvorak New World Symphony: Fast, Powerful, and Serious (not cute).

vCash
    I think Mirai needs something up tempo. I wasn't crazy at all about her SP this year. Her LP wasn't great either put i think that was because she never skated it the way it should have been skated. At 4CC where she finally put it all together i rather liked it.

vCash
    Schez for the LP ... unless Frank's saving it for Sochi

vCash
    You know what's funny? Call it complete coincidence but last year around this time Mirai asked for music suggestions on her facebook and I posted a link to a performance of Un Sospiro on youtube.

So... whether or not that had anything to do with it (maybe I'm just deluding myself), I for one liked the music choice. I didn't care much for the arrangement though.

In regards to her LP, I found the Geisha idea to be kind of gimmicky. I am hoping she goes more in the direction of her LP choice from the year before, but maybe less overused.

vCash
    Enescu's Roumanian Rhapsody No. 1

This (edited down considerably, of course) for the LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWiOyOoGVls

The change in mood at 4:38 must be included, however. Also, the section that starts about the 6 minute mark and especially 7:15.
    Last edited by snoopysnake; 04-17-2011 at 03:36 AM.

vCash
    This girl deserves a fresh choreographer who doesn't view her personality in such a limited way. Not very articulate right now, but I feel like Mirai's natural expressiveness is treated as a "crime" or something to work around or turn into something hammy and comical. She could have such range, and I don't think she's treated very seriously by Lori.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Enescu's Roumanian Rhapsody No. 1

This (edited down considerably, of course) for the LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWiOyOoGVls

The change in mood at 4:38 must be included, however. Also, the section that stars about the 6 minute mark and especially 7:15.
    Love it. This is one of my all time favorites.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    You know what's funny? Call it complete coincidence but last year around this time Mirai asked for music suggestions on her facebook and I posted a link to a performance of Un Sospiro on youtube.
    I loved that part of Mirai's short program.

Thank you for broadening my musical education.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    Mirai has a facebook?

vCash
    Cinderella could actually be a beautiful program for Mirai. I still think her "Coppelia" LP is her best program to date. If you meshed the new improved Mirai the skater with another balletic LP, I think she could produce one of the most beautiful LP's we've ever seen.

I liked Memoirs, I still want to see it at Worlds but Mirai is a woman now and from here until Sochi I think she should try to play up the beauty of her skating more when putting programs together and less the personality, which will naturally come out in spades because it's Mirai.

vCash
    I want Mirai to skate to Liebestraum, but it might be too soon to skate to it next season. Maybe for Sochi?!

God forbid I think Don Quixote might suit Mirai well

Vacant
    vCash
    I want to see her skate to something that will help her use her arms better. I totally blame Lori for this but her endless use of ballet arm positions not done very well or gracefully drive me nuts and believe me, I LOVE Mirai's skating. They don't mean anything and don't add anything. If she could gain more fluidity to her use of arm movements a la Asada & Kim, then artistically she would be something else. As it is, while the rest of her skating is amazing, I'm always left with a junior feel about it which should really be gone by now. But again, I really do blame Lori for this

vCash
    I agree that Mirai needs something more upbeat for her programs. Her effervescence should be used to its potential. Something whimsical like this piece would be wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a7KS0tvQxU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I want to see her skate to something that will help her use her arms better. I totally blame Lori for this but her endless use of ballet arm positions not done very well or gracefully drive me nuts and believe me, I LOVE Mirai's skating. They don't mean anything and don't add anything. If she could gain more fluidity to her use of arm movements a la Asada & Kim, then artistically she would be something else. As it is, while the rest of her skating is amazing, I'm always left with a junior feel about it which should really be gone by now. But again, I really do blame Lori for this
    thanks for that! I totally love Mirai's skating and personality on the ice. She's so much fun and can be so great, but there's sth really offsetting about her and maybe it's this. She reminds me in that aspect a bit with Kimmie Meissner with her airplane arms, though to a much lesser extent for sure
    I hope too she would try sth different than boring old Nichol choreography, but knowing her coach I doubt it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I can't agree more! I love her stretched arms when she's stroking, but she doesn't use her arms in any other ways. You're right. I think that's one of the reasons why she still looks very juniorish at times. I really want her go someone else other than Lori, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

vCash
    I think Miria need do something joyous and youthful to showcase her exuberancy on ice, not something soft and romantic. She could be a total power skater given the right material that has the wow factor.

Nobody does celebration and joy like the Irish, and I'd love her to do something a bit folksy & joyeous like River Dance fiddle playing music.

http://youtu.be/lQiYQwuRtNU

It can be a great crowd pleaser in a SP as she ups the ante with her gleeful movements, spirited performance and lucid choreography: slow, fast, faster, slower, grand finish then de.. lammm.... !! *wild applause*
    Last edited by os168; 04-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.

vCash
    I love the entire score from "The Virgin Queen" but these are some of my favorites:

The Virgin Queen - track 1"The Virgin Queen" and track 16
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7qTet2qC8g

The Virgin Queen - track 2 "The Work of the Lord"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRX6z...el_video_title

The Virgin Queen - track 3 "One Mistress"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwHC...feature=relmfu

The Virgin Queen - track 4 "Misere Nomine"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwSxc...feature=relmfu

The Virgin Queen - track 5 "A Legacy of Comfort"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKyNq...feature=relmfu

The Virgin Queen - track 6 "Essex"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbE5f...el_video_title

The Virgin Queen - track 13 "Remember Me"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqrbnuuhv0

I think with the right choreographer, the right music arrangements, and the right styling/presentation Mirai could do some amazing things with it. Some of the faster cuts in particular could work for an SP and some of the slower, sweeping sort of cuts could work for an LP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast