Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Thanks, I love that dress. So elegant. Hate the gloves but I suppose she had to? And I agree, the bow is superfluous but not too bad. It's the gloves that bug me.
    She is so tall and has such long arms, that the gloves do appear a bit too much. I'm not sure if they were required, but if so, perhaps they could have been just a little bit shorter?

vCash
    Thanks, I love that dress. So elegant. Hate the gloves but I suppose she had to? And I agree, the bow is superfluous but not too bad. It's the gloves that bug me.
    In that circumstance, she probably "needed" to wear the gloves if she was going to wear a sleeveless dress.

I'm not sure if they were required, but if so, perhaps they could have been just a little bit shorter?
    Evening Glove Information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evening_glove
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 05-24-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    In that circumstance, she probably "needed" to wear the gloves if she was going to wear a sleeveless dress.
    I don't know. I think I saw women without gloves so I am not sure they are required. If not, she would have looked nicer without them.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Kate is elegant and sleek as always but what the hell is Michelle Obama wearing? It's so garish, like she ripped the upholstery off one of the sofas and made a skirt from it.
    Apparently, it was an homage to the Queen and England ... at least if you believe this article. Maybe it looked better in person. And anyone who would like to have Kate's dress better get in line.
    The new Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, wore a sand-colored dress by the British label Reiss. Her appearance sparked such a rush in demand for the above-the-knee sheath, with a retail price of $340, that the retailer's website traffic increased by more than 300 percent, resulting in several crashes throughout the day, according to the company.

The dress was sophisticated and chic, if not a bit understated, but the duchess put her own twist on the outfit with her black pointy-toe pumps and black satin clutch handbag by Anya Hindmarch. The bag was engraved with her initials.

vCash
    The US Chief of Protocol may have advised the First Lady about what was expected or preferred attire for a formal dinner with Her Majesty the Queen.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Apparently, it was an homage to the Queen and England ... at least if you believe this article. Maybe it looked better in person.
    I didn't realize you have to match the Queen's furniture to honor her. Really unflattering, with that hot pink bolero on top, especially. Very provincial look.

I guess my penchant for understatement and sleek, clean lines is obvious. No wonder I was such a fan of Kwan's skating dresses late in her career.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    And anyone who would like to have Kate's dress better get in line.
    Sigh. Not in the cards for me.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Apparently Obama signed the guest book at Westminster Abbey May 24, 2008
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Apparently Obama signed the guest book at Westminster Abbey May 24, 2008
    They showed a close up on the news and it looked like he put too many zeros in it so just winged it. It looked like 2001 with the 1 changed into an eight. Poor guy - my first name has a double r in it and I've been known to make it 3 of them in a signature.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    President Obama's toast.

Ok, so the end was a little, um, wonky.

But HMQ, bless her dear heart, just smiled and said something to the effect of "You are too kind" and life went on.

I agree that Camilla and Hillary both looked fabulous.

Anybody find a pic yet of Kristin Chenoweth or Helena Bonham Carter?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Do we REALLY want to see a picture of Helena Bonham Carter?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Do we REALLY want to see a picture of Helena Bonham Carter?
    Oh I gotta see what HBC wore to dine with HMQ, for so many, many reasons.....

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Now for the important stuff...The tiaras.

HM The Queen wore the Vladimiir Tiara w/the pearl drops instead of the emeralds.

Princess Anne, The Princess Royal wore the Greek Meander Tiara.

Sophie, Countess of Wessex wore her wedding tiara. (Darn it!!)

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall wore the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara. It's been rumoured Charles was left this in the Queen Mum's will, but don't know how true that is. It does suit her though IMO.

Don't know about the minor Royal Ladies as of yet.

edited to add...In some of the pictures I've seen, Camilla's wearing the Royal Family Order. This is the first time I've ever seen her w/it. Does anyone know when it was given or is this it's first appearance?

It would help if you all had a picture to look at to see what I'm talking about. From Getty Images.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 05-25-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Darn it. I thought it was the Cambridge Lovers' Knot and not the Vladimir. I am confusing the Vladimir with the Kokoshnik. I am clearly failing tiaras.

After googling the Vladimir, I prefer it with emeralds.

from Speedy Death

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    As do I Alisa. I find the pearls tend to get lost among all those diamonds. I haven't seen HM wearing it w/the emeralds since the Golden Jubliee Cdn State Visit/Tour come to think of it.

vCash
    Darn it. I thought it was the Cambridge Lovers' Knot and not the Vladimir. I am confusing the Vladimir with the Kokoshnik. I am clearly failing tiaras.

After googling the Vladimir, I prefer it with emeralds.
    I was watching one of the online clips of her speech and I thought it was the Cambridge Lovers' Knot as well at one point and this was after I had seen pictures that clearly showed it was the Vladimir.

You're doing better with tiaras than the expert the CBC had for their wedding coverage. As Kate was entering the Abbey, the expert was saying that Kate was wearing the Cambridge Lovers' Knot tiara and that it was a Spencer family tiara.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    edited to add...In some of the pictures I've seen, Camilla's wearing the Royal Family Order. This is the first time I've ever seen her w/it. Does anyone know when it was given or is this it's first appearance?

It would help if you all had a picture to look at to see what I'm talking about. From Getty Images.
    Ya know, I'm watching it and thinking "Hmmm, Camilla's Family Order looks fab against the slate-blue gown......"

According to Wikipedia, she got it October 30, 2007.

vCash
    Would someone please post a link to a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge at the dinner?

I can't find one anywhere.

On the subject of the Cambridge Lover's Knot, I doubt we will see that one for a while. It is very much associated with Diana I would be shocked if someone else wore it.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Would someone please post a link to a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge at the dinner?

I can't find one anywhere.
    According to what I found online, William & Catherine did not stay for the State Dinner.

Anyone have a guess as to what the Cambridge's official reception will be when they visit Canada? Although its not a State Visit, is it possible we might at least see one fancy dinner with some bling on Catherine?

I wonder how long it will be until Catherine receives HMQ's Family Order. My guess is right before or after HMQ's Diamond Jubilee. Won't that just chap Princess Michael's ass!

vCash
    Nah, she's probably accepted the fact that if she hasn't received one by now, she likely never will, unless Charles decides to bestow one when he comes to the throne.

vCash

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast