Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast
    vCash
    I love the Yukari side discussion. Other than the leg wrap I thought she was the best skater, I loved her expression and way of selling a program. She had sparkle. And she also went ahead with her bad self and got into production and film, what a lady.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 12-13-2013 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    it's great to see that yukina otha is still invited to skate in shows as she didn't has had great success in seniors.
    but still a joy to watch

vCash
    Yukari and Yukina are two of my favorite Japanese ladies that had limited success. Yukina had problems with her jumps so she didn't even make the world team. Yukari was lovely, and her other qualities made me forget the leg wrap. I was very disappointed when she retired without a world medal.

vCash
    Sorry to be slightly Off-topic.
    One of the most controversial skate, IMHO, was Yukina's not winning the senior Nationals in Dec. 2002. This Nationals was competed with the highest technically difficulty ever. Jumps being attempted by the competitors included one 4Sal, six 3Ax (three by Yukari alone), one 3flip/3tlp/3lp 3jump combination and about dozen various triple/triple combinations.
    Yukina skated simply unforgettable senior version "Turandot". Yukina skated as the last skater in Kyoto, her hometown, and pulled off a mini-Rudy Galindo.
    However, only one judge put her 1st. Majority put her fourth, deciding to send apparently "over-the-hill" skater as the third JPN Ladies skater to 03 Washington Worlds.
    This "washed up" skater had a "Titanic" program, and subsequently won both Worlds and Olympics, her name was Shizuka Arakawa.

It is intriguing to think what would have happened if Arakawa was not sent to 03 Worlds, and Yukina went instead.

vCash
    Takahashi/Kihara got their Olympic spot for Pairs, after Estonia gave it up:
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...007355120.html (in Japanese)

This is first time for Japan getting a pairs spot in Olympics since 1998 Nagano, and since 1992 Albertville if not as a host country.

vCash
    Shin Amano was the pairs skater in Nagano. Kihara has trained much shorter than Amano but he's already much better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Shin Amano was the pairs skater in Nagano. Kihara has trained much shorter than Amano but he's already much better.
    Did Mr. Amano kill your puppy or something?

vCash
    Luckily I don't have a puppy to be killed by him.

vCash
    Spring International Assignments

Challenge Cup
    Takahito Mura
    Haruka Imai
    Kento Nakamura
    Sei Kawahara
    Wakaba Higuchi
    Mai Mihara
    Kaori Sakamoto
    Kauzuki Tomono

Junior Worlds
    Sumire Suto/Konstantin Chizhikov were added

Coupe du Printemps
    Ryuju Hino
    Yura Matsuda
    Daisuke Murakami
    Taichi Honda
    Sota Yamamoto
    Marin Honda
    Mariko Kihara
    Yuna Aoki

Gardena Spring Trophy
    Satoko Miyahara
    Shoma Uno
    Miyabi Oba
    Yoji Tsuboi
    Koshiro Shimada
    Sena Miyake

Triglav Trophy
    Keiji Tanaka
    Ryuju Hino
    Rika Hongo
    Riona Kato

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Watching Shin Amano do pairs in Nagano really brought it home how difficult pairs actually is.

vCash
    Has anyone seen any reports as to Daisuke Takahashi's health?

vCash
    According to an interview done on January the 8th Daisuke said he recovered "80%" from the injury.
    http://www.unn-news.com/ku-times/article/201401255038

I found an article about Daisuke's physical trainer. It seems Daisuke is fully supported by the trainer. It's good for him.
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news...2010006-n1.htm

This is not about his injury but I found an article that says Lori visited Japan to polish his long program earlier this month(around January the 20th).
    http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2014/...06651407.shtml

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Watching Shin Amano do pairs in Nagano really brought it home how difficult pairs actually is.
    I truly feel pairs is likely the hardest discipline in the sport. For me its also the most spectacular; however it is also the easiest to look terrible at the same time.

vCash
    Thank you, rosewood, for the detective work!
    It seems Daisuke is fully supported by the trainer. It's good for him.
    Could you explain this a bit more? In what sense is Daisuke "supported" by his trainer?

Thanks again!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheresMaude View Post
    Thank you, rosewood, for the detective work!
    Could you explain this a bit more? In what sense is Daisuke "supported" by his trainer?

Thanks again!
    (rough summary of the article)
    Fumio Watanabe has worked as Daisuke's exclusive trainer since 2006. So, when Daisuke injured before Vancouver Oly, he was working with Daisuke too. After Daisuke injured in Novenber last year, Watanabe provided him a special training menu.to strengthen his trunk muscle. Daisuke did a very hard training based on the menu. Watanabe encouraged him a lot by talking optimistically. He said "Don't worry. You have enough time!" After the Nationals Daisuke keeps training to strengthen his trunk and also his lower body based on the menu Watanabe provided considering the schedule till Sochi Olympics.

Hope it helps you to imagine Daisuke's condition. I'm sure a flood of articles/vdeo clips are coming soon since Japanese media are going to report about the star athletes before the Olympics.

vCash
    Thanks again for the further translation, rosewood. We Dai fans are so lucky to have someone here who will provide us with this valuable info.

vCash
    Any idea on who are the next Japanese ladies to watch after Asada, Suzuki and Murakami retire?

Nice to see Miyahara and Imai getting spring assignments. I guess it's going to be the two of them plus the up and coming Hongo. I believe it will take a season or two before Japanese ladies return to world podium contending stage. Maybe just in time for 2018. That's a long time for Miyahara to get bigger jumps, for Imai to get more difficult jumps (lutz!) and for Hongo to develop some finesse and artistry.

vCash
    Up coming Novice skater:
    Marin Honda - 2013 Japanese Junior Nationals FS

I assume it will take time before Japanese ladies return on the Worlds podium.

vCash
    Has Akiko stated that she will retire after this season? I'm hoping to see Akiko on both the Olympic and World podiums!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Akiko is definitely retiring after this season.

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast