Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    2013-2014 The Designated Skaters
    http://skatingjapan.or.jp/national/n...hp?sports_id=2

Side note: This list works as the international pool as well... etc.
    This list is incredible for just one nation!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Machida declares to go for the quad lutz in Russia
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20...020001-n1.html

He seems to be too much confident now. Before that he must do Western sectionals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Machida declares to go for the quad lutz in Russia
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20...020001-n1.html

He seems to be too much confident now. Before that he must do Western sectionals.
    Quad lutz? WOW! So impressed with Machida this season, he is my fav of the Japanese men.

Great skating skills , exciting quads and fantastic artistry.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Those media love sensational headlines. My understanding is Machida did not talk about actual plan to do 4Lz in CoR but he told about his mentality. He is kinda skater who inspires himself by telling his big challenges to the public.

my rough translation of Machida's words
    Keeping good condition is not enough and I want to evolve, since I keep the words "keeping is degenerating" in my mind in this season.
    I have to get a few more techniques. For example, challenging 4Lz is not bad, since the only quad I can do is 4T so far. Such a mentality would be needed."
    After getting back in Japan, Machida told that he regarded himself as the contender who had the smallest chance to make an Olympic team among those six Japanese male skaters. So I think he knows about himself very well.

vCash
    I hate per country rules.

vCash
    I don't believe Machida will go for the quad-lutz, it's just tough talk during the Olympic season, which is common amongst all elite athletes. Even Evgeni is known to do such. I recall videos showing him going for the quad-lutz, but he never attempted it in competition, only once at a D competition or something like that. Which is alright by me; it's good to play mind games with your competitors, lol. Though at the 2002 Olympics Evgeni went all out in the FS! Holy smokes I'll never forget that; kinda glad Yagudin forced him to pull out every single gun in his arsenal, that FS was one for the ages (aka 4T/3T/3R with a step out, 4T, 3A, 3A-1/2R-3F)!

That said, imho the Japanese Mens Olympic Team will be Hanyu, Machida, and maybe Daisuke Takahashi based on his being a legend.

ps: regarding per country rules, no biggie, rules are rules for a reason, and the 3 country per rule assures only the cream of the crop will arise. And if one is a long-time figure skating fan one knows this from watching over the decades. There have been plenty of great skaters over the decades from one country, it's nothing unusual, and all know the rules and accept it and get on with it!

vCash
    Akiko Suzuki tells a story with her skating
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/inter...ikosuzuki.html

vCash
    Is it just me or is Hanyu just scarily thin?

vCash
    Novice nationals were this weekend, here's the results in English: http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...vice/index.htm

Marin had a really bad skate, she did a 3Lz-3T-2T that didn't even count because she did too many combos. I think she was just having an off day. Higuchi had a pretty good skate, she'll be a junior next year so it's good she won.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    He's always been this way. It's a perfect body type for skating, though. He must have very dense muscle, given how much elevation he gets on his jumps.

vCash
    He just has a very small body frame.

vCash
    He looks in proportion though. Look at his face - he just has VERY delicate bone structure. It's not like he's gaunt or anything.

vCash
    All I can say about the Japanese skaters is WOW, WOW, AND MORE WOW! They bring so much competitiveness and excitement to the sport these days. Socchi will be a real show-down.

vCash
    P&G Japan has selected Hanyu and Takahashi as their Sochi Olympics ambassadors.
    http://www.darrensim.com/2013/10/29/...-winter-games/

In Japan, P&G is set to launch the global “Proud Sponsor of Moms” campaign in support of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games from December 2013. The campaign, which features top Japanese figure skaters Daisuke Takahashi and Yuzuru Hanyu as Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games ambassadors for P&G Japan, will both be playing a starring role in the company’s upcoming advertising and promotional activities.

Japan Olympic Bronze Medalist and figure skater Daisuke Takahashi said, “I use P&G products in my everyday life, so I was really happy to represent the brand in its Thank You Mom program. Just as I strive to do my best in skating, I also hope to be an inspiration for consumers to look to P&G products for their every day needs through this campaign.”

“It’s a great honor to be part of P&G’s Proud Sponsor of Moms especially since I’ve been using P&G products since I was small. It’s given an extra boost to my efforts looking ahead to the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games,” says world-class figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu.

From Kyodo Tsushin PR Wire: they will appear in advertisements, facebook and web short movies.
    http://prw.kyodonews.jp/opn/release/201310295805/

P&G Japan Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/ProcterGambleJP

Pics:
    http://prw.kyodonews.jp/prwfile/rele...l_v4VFb84z.png

Hanyu looks like a salesperson. "Here are our products, ma-am."

vCash
    From Imai Haruka's updated ISU bio:

'Imai moved to the USA for training in 2011, but switched coaches and moved back to Japan in 2013.'

Her coach is Rumiko Michigami now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    All I can say about the Japanese skaters is WOW, WOW, AND MORE WOW! They bring so much competitiveness and excitement to the sport these days. Socchi will be a real show-down.
    The real showdown will be at the Japanese nationals just to make the Olympic team. I wish I could watch the Japanese nationals live. They will be "Wow!"

vCash
    Midori Ito and Mai Asada(Mao's older sister) will appear in a TV drama as figure skating coaches.

"A promise of skate boots--a story of a lady skater from Nagoya--" is going to be filmed as TV Aichi's 30th anniversary memorial drama. And it will be aired on December 25th via TV Tokyo and its affiliate TV stations. The drama will be filmed at Osu rink where Midori, Mao and Mai used to train and Kanako has trained. Miyu Honda, an actress and also a novice skater, appears in the drama as well.

vCash
    I would love to see that - with or without subtitles!

vCash
    Re-posting from the Kiss and Cry forum - Sectional results & protocols (final qualifier from Junior Nationals later this month and Senior Nationals in Dec.) from this past weekend have been published in English:

Eastern: http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...east/index.htm

Western: http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...west/index.htm

ETA from earlier in this thread (updated):
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    At last I found the published file. It was published on September 27th. We can see the numbers of the skaters who win through each Regionals and Sectionals. And also "seeded skaters" and "exceptional skaters" are listed on it. "Seeded skaters" seem to be the skaters who won the medals at the Japan Nats 2012 and given the spots for Nats 2013 without participating in Regionals/Sectionals 2013. "Exceptional skaters" seem to be the skaters who are allowed not to participate in the specific competitions for the reason of participating in senior B-ckass competitions in a few weeks or JGPS. Side note: all of the seeded skaters and the exceptional skaters are in the JSF's international pool, "designated skaters".
    http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_...yosentsuka.pdf

Seeded Skaters
    Sr Ladies Mao Asada, Kanako Murakami, Satoko Miyahara
    Sr Mens Yuzuru Hanyu, Daisuke Takahashi, Takahito Mura
    Jr Ladies Riona Kato, Rika Hongo
    Jr Mens Ryuju Hino, Shoma Uno, Keiji Tanaka

Exceptional Skaters
    Tokyo Regional
    Sr Ladies Yuki Nishino(Ondrej Nepela Trophy), Haruka Imai(Ondrej Nepela Trophy), Risa Shoji(Finlandia Trophy )
    Sr Mens Akio Sasaki(Finlandia Trophy), Kento Nakamura(Finlandia Trophy)
    Chubu Regional
    Sr Ladies Miyabi Ohba(JGP4), Akiko Suzuki(Finlandia Trophy)
    Sr Mens Takahiko Kozuka(Japan Open)
    Kinki Regional
    Sr Mens Nobunari Oda(Nebelhorn)
    Jr Ladies Mai Mihara(JGP5), Kaori Sakamoto(JGP6)
    Jr Mens Yu [Shu] Nakamura(JGP4), Taichi Honda(JGP5)

East Japan Sectional
    ADDED: Sr Ladies Haruka Imai (Cup of China)
    Pairs Takahashi/Kihara(SGP4)
    Ice Dances Reeds(SGP4)
    West Japan Sectional
    Sr Mens Nobunari Oda(SGP4,5), Takahiko Kozuka(SGP3)

The Numbers of the Skaters Who Win Through Each Regional/Sectional
    *JL=Junior Ladies, JM=Junior Mens, SL=Senior Ladies, SM=Senior Mens
    *S=seeded skaters, E=exceptional skaters

Tohoku/Hokkaido Regional JL:6, JM:7, SL:6, SM-5
    Kanto Regional JL;11, JM;13, SL:7, SM;4
    Tokyo Regional JL:13, JM:10, SL:17(E3), SM:21(E2)
    Chubu Regional JL:13, JM=6, SL=9(E2), SM=8(E1)
    Kinki Regional JL:10, JM=14(E2), SL=14, SM=13(E1)
    Chu-Shikoku /Kyushu Regional JL:7, JM:10(E1), SL=7, SM=9

East Japan Sectional JL=10, JM=8, SL=[6] 5, SM=5(S1)
    West Japan Sectional JL=14(S2), JM=15(S3), SL=15(S3,E1) SM=16(S2,E2)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-05-2013 at 04:42 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Miu Sato and Shion Kokobun didn't qualify... ( , especially for Sato who seemed a very promising skater...).

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast