Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepypanda View Post
    Short clip of Mao practicing her short program on her blog. There's a link to a Quicktime vid at the end of the entry.

Blog: http://maimao-asada.com/mao/news/2011/09/23/150/

- - -

Short Program "Scherherazade" desu.

Short program "Scherherazade" desu.

Since some years ago, whenever I went to Tatiana-sensei, (this piece) was on her list of music. I thought it was a kawaii* Scherherazade.

The music has a variety of tones so I want to show a variety of expressions that fits throughout this program.

*kawaii is the Japanese word for cute, but it also has other meanings too... lovely, charming, pretty... don't get too caught up in what the word "cute" implies in English.

WOOW never would have guessed that Mao would chose this music, can't wait to see the new short program as well as her free again.. thaanks for posting the link..

vCash
    Thanks sleepypanda! I like it.

Happy 21st Birthday, Mao! May you have a wonderful season ahead!

vCash
    Any updates on Suguri? No GP this season - so any word on local comps?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy View Post
    Any updates on Suguri? No GP this season - so any word on local comps?
    Fumie is on the entry list for Finlandia Trophy

http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/entries/

vCash
    happy birthday Mao i hope you will have a wonderful season

vCash
    any news of Haruka Imai? Is still injuried?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nort345 View Post
    any news of Haruka Imai? Is still injuried?
    I don't believe she is injured anymore, here is her SP for the new season in the "Fantasy on Ice" show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfEPUq37Ces

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Fumie is on the entry list for Finlandia Trophy

http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/entries/

Hmmm. No GP though. Her career is winding down. I wonder if she is now skating just for the joy of skating? May be she could get on a pro circuit in Japan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Hmmm. No GP though. Her career is winding down. I wonder if she is now skating just for the joy of skating? May be she could get on a pro circuit in Japan?
    She has no intention of retireing. She just wants to compete as long as her body lets her. She's said so many times in plenty of interview. She made a big mistake when she left Morozov...

vCash
    I know the decision to retire is entirely up to the skater and none of my business, but Suguri would of had way more opportunities in ice shows had she retired after her silver at the '06 worlds and ended her career on a high note.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I know the decision to retire is entirely up to the skater and none of my business, but Suguri would of had way more opportunities in ice shows had she retired after her silver at the '06 worlds and ended her career on a high note.
    Or at least after 2008-2009 season with second place finish at Japan Nats and top ten at Worlds.

vCash
    Maybe this is not what she wants.
    I think it is great that she likes skating and competitions this much. If she has the means to do it - why not?
    Midori Ito just came back to competitions for the same reasons - just because she likes it. I think it is great and might help to establish skating as a "normal" sport for adults as well.

vCash
    Which show? Please name one, or two, of the shows which she could not have got just because she did not retire back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartek View Post
    Or at least after 2008-2009 season with second place finish at Japan Nats and top ten at Worlds.
    Right, at the very least when she was in the top ten. I feel like the big elephant in the room keeps rearing it's huge ass whenever she skates because I doubt she'll ever make the world team again with Japan so deep in figure skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Maybe this is not what she wants.
    I think it is great that she likes skating and competitions this much. If she has the means to do it - why not?
    Midori Ito just came back to competitions for the same reasons - just because she likes it. I think it is great and might help to establish skating as a "normal" sport for adults as well.
    I also think it's a good thing for women's figure skating to have a wide age range competing to show that skating isn't all about jumping teenie boppers and their are artistic merits that are achieved through experienced skaters. However, Midori returned to adult competitions. With Suguri, I think she's still trying to keep up with the up and coming generation to which I think she's way in over her head about. If she had raw talent like Arakawa, I might have thought differently, but imo she is only a fairly good skater who worked her ass off to even get the 2 bronzes and silver at worlds. If she does have the means & sponsors to continue skating, then good for her. Just writing what's on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    Which show? Please name one, or two, of the shows which she could not have got just because she did not retire back then.
    Relax. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Let me put it to you this way, I'm from the midwest and watched Suguri as a kid- twice at JLA on the Champions on Ice tour after the Salt Lake Games/'02 worlds and I think after her grand prix win in '04 or '05. All of which she either won, medaled or placed in the top five. I don't know which shows she may or may not be invited to because I don't do casting (if your really want to get technical ). But I do know that major shows will pay for travel, dining, and accomodation expenses and skaters can negotiate their contract depending on how well they did that season because of hello, what else- "branding".

Now, skaters can do little shows in Eastern part of Europe and family ice shows in Michigan, but a lot of times those shows will not cover your airfare, hotel and dining expenses. So when was the last major tour Suguri was invited to that wasn't a Japanese ice show? I don't even think I saw YouTube clips of her at the Japanese charity show that Miki, Mao, and Taka were in. I recently watched Arakawa at a Chinese show and she's been part of Stars on Ice before. Why do you think a lot of Olympics champs skip out on the world championships right after the OG and turn pro??

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    Not as strong as the exhibition I had seen earlier on YT but obviously it was enough to win. I like the way he continues to skate with the same intensity after he makes a mistake.

vCash
    Let me put it to you this way, I'm from the midwest and watched Suguri as a kid- twice at JLA on the Champions on Ice tour after the Salt Lake Games/'02 worlds and I think after her grand prix win in '04 or '05. All of which she either won, medaled or placed in the top five. I don't know which shows she may or may not be invited to because I don't do casting (if your really want to get technical ). But I do know that major shows will pay for travel, dining, and accomodation expenses and skaters can negotiate their contract depending on how well they did that season because of hello, what else- "branding".

Now, skaters can do little shows in Eastern part of Europe and family ice shows in Michigan, but a lot of times those shows will not cover your airfare, hotel and dining expenses. So when was the last major tour Suguri was invited to that wasn't a Japanese ice show? I don't even think I saw YouTube clips of her at the Japanese charity show that Miki, Mao, and Taka were in. I recently watched Arakawa at a Chinese show and she's been part of Stars on Ice before. Why do you think a lot of Olympics champs skip out on the world championships right after the OG and turn pro??
    You have just proved my point. She used to do COI tour without retiring, and now she does not as many while other eligible skaters do a lot. What would have been better for her if she had turned pro?

And why do you think recent Olympics champs tend not to turn pro after OG?
    Last edited by midori; 09-26-2011 at 02:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Vash01, the thing is that even for the pro circuit you need to achieve a certain level of skating in order to stand out among other skaters.

The state of Fumie' s skating, judging by her performances last year, has not reached the standards expected of pro skaters. Jumps are not the only issue. The basics of her skating don' t seem to be on a good level. Not only do I not see a decent level of flexibility in her spins, I also detect a lack of grace, musicality, good edging, and stroking. The choreography in her LP was nothing to write home about.

I think there' s a very disturbing trend among skating fans to automatically assume that the best place for a struggling amateur skater is in the pro ranks. But pro skating is not a place of exile that bad skaters are banned to. No, in fact, pro skating has a lot of quality in it. Shizuka, Sasha, Stéphane, and perhaps even Joannie, if she decides not to compete again, are all superb skaters. They may not be ready to execute as many jumps as some of the top amateurs, but in all other respects they are amazing skaters. For Fumie to join their ranks, she'd have to demonstrate a much, much higher level of skating than she recently has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    The basics of her skating don' t seem to be on a good level. Not only do I not see a decent level of flexibility in her spins, I also detect a lack of grace, musicality, good edging, and stroking.
    Erm, not sure which Fumie Suguri you've been watching, but the one I saw at 2010 Skate Canada had excellent edges and stroking. She did lose some of the speed she had when she was younger, but she still has very good basics. I do agree her recent programs didn't do much for her, but that's not really a 'basic skating' issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Vash01, the thing is that even for the pro circuit you need to achieve a certain level of skating in order to stand out among other skaters.

The state of Fumie' s skating, judging by her performances last year, has not reached the standards expected of pro skaters. Jumps are not the only issue. The basics of her skating don' t seem to be on a good level. Not only do I not see a decent level of flexibility in her spins, I also detect a lack of grace, musicality, good edging, and stroking. The choreography in her LP was nothing to write home about.

I think there' s a very disturbing trend among skating fans to automatically assume that the best place for a struggling amateur skater is in the pro ranks. But pro skating is not a place of exile that bad skaters are banned to. No, in fact, pro skating has a lot of quality in it. Shizuka, Sasha, Stéphane, and perhaps even Joannie, if she decides not to compete again, are all superb skaters. They may not be ready to execute as many jumps as some of the top amateurs, but in all other respects they are amazing skaters. For Fumie to join their ranks, she'd have to demonstrate a much, much higher level of skating than she recently has.
    Did you watch Fumie at all over the years? She won the world silver in 2006, and a few world bronzes, I think. She had won the Japanese nationals, which is extremely competitive. I have watched Fumie live in practice and she has very good basic skating skills. They are better than Sasha's although she does not have Sasha's firey personality on the ice. Fumie was standing higher than Shizuka prior to Shizuka's 2004 world title. Her skating is not that good anymore, but she has been on the world podium, and that should be good enough for any eligible skater to have a pro career.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast