Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    You have just proved my point. She used to do COI tour without retiring, and now she does not as many while other eligible skaters do a lot. What would have been better for her if she had turned pro?

And why do you think recent Olympics champs tend not to turn pro after OG?
    No dear, Suguri was invited to COI twice because of how well she placed before that season. She hasn't been invited to a major ice tour since because her results have gotten worse and she lacks major appeal as a skater because she doesn't have the jumps nor the flexibility of a skater to the likes of a Cohen or Arakawa. Had she retired when she was still at the latter end of her prime when she got 4th at Torino and 2nd at worlds, she could of atleast branded herself much better iwith the world medals she's won and been invited to major shows.

Now, I could understand if Suguri were from a country like Hungary without the depth of skaters like Japan has and continue to skate like Julia Sebestyen did even after she won the European Championships in '04. But do you think, honestly, that Suguri can come back as a relevant skater when you have a Murakami, Suzuki, Asada and possibly Ando and other junior Japanese skaters coming up. It's an uphill battle for her to even make the world team.

You ask about recent Olympic Champs not retiring- let's look at them besides Shen & Zhao who have retired & in their mid 30s: how old were most of them when they won- Tessa & Virtue, Kim, Lysacek? All of them were under 25. and all of them actually have a chance of finishing on the podium consistently even now (sans Lysacek; we'll have to see how he does, but there's still a good chance for him if he's serious about his training). I don't see Kim going for Sochi, but there still a good chance for her to compete longer because really what other prominent Korean skaters are there to secure spots at worlds? And an uninjured Tessa & Virtue are still capable of becoming world champions.

Suguri is a hard-working, grit type of skater. She isn't a naturally talented jumper like Ando and she doesn't have the charm or spins of a Nagasu, the beauty of an Asada or the energy of the Russian babies. She could continue skating all she wants as long as she's determined and has the funds, but she will not be seen as a skater that ended on a high note. Instead, she'll be seen as a skater who declined and that definitely affects how you can market yourself on the pro circuit or even a coach, etc. Why do you think Hughes retired after only doing one world championships after her Olympic win and a world championships that wasn't right after her Olympic win? College is not the only reason. She never won a U.S. Champion on the senior level and never became World Champion. It's all about branding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Did you watch Fumie at all over the years? She won the world silver in 2006, and a few world bronzes, I think. She had won the Japanese nationals, which is extremely competitive.
    I am talking about her current skating only and not what it used to be like.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    DHer skating is not that good anymore, but she has been on the world podium, and that should be good enough for any eligible skater to have a pro career.
    Like you say, her skating isn't that good anymore and to have a pro career, you have to skate well. That's why I don't think she would get invited to many pro events based on her skating as it is now.

vCash

vCash
    Akiko She's so light on her feet -love the new SP step sequence!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Akiko She's so light on her feet -love the new SP step sequence!
    And Strauss for the FS! So glad she hasn't retired...I hope she can regain her consistency this season.

vCash
    Here´s Mikis 'Black Swan', for all who couldn´t watch it by now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSJW..._order&list=UL

I´m a little bit surprised, I anticipated a totally different program
    But Miki ist just brilliant and she seemts to become more and more presence on ice. Famtastic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post

But Miki ist just brilliant and she seemts to become more and more presence on ice. Famtastic.

Yes. Her presence on the ice is amazing. Her Black Swan is a real must to see.
    Every year, and every time I see her, she is getting more and more expressive. She has grown up into one of those skaters whose performance audience can enjoy even if there are no jumps in the program.

vCash

WOOWWW, that was so intense! I love it! Much better than these other "Black Swan" programs we've been seeing that are basically just generic Swan Lake programs. Awesome, Miki plays the dark, mysterious role well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    WOOWWW, that was so intense! I love it! Much better than these other "Black Swan" programs we've been seeing
    Alright, you convinced me to watch it. I have to admit, didn't watch it the second I saw her lying on the ice with her boots crossed ala Volosozhar. I know she wasn't wearing a white tutu but it looked to close for my taste but I'll give it another look. I really love Miki!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    WOOWWW, that was so intense! I love it! Much better than these other "Black Swan" programs we've been seeing that are basically just generic Swan Lake programs. Awesome, Miki plays the dark, mysterious role well.
    You described it so well. "Intense" is the right word. Intense, but delicate. There is dignity and a touch of sorrow. Mysterious and fascinating, attractive.

vCash

She has developed so much artistically! She seems to feel every note of the music in this performance. I wonder if she is planning to make it into a competition LP? of course she will need a lot of jumps if she does, and that could lose some of the artistic impact, but still a great exhibition program!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    You described it so well. "Intense" is the right word. Intense, but delicate. There is dignity and a touch of sorrow. Mysterious and fascinating, attractive.
    Yes exactly, but that is Miki, she's intense and powerful, but at the same time, very vulnerable. A very unique mix of traits that can produce a wonderful result if packaged correctly. I also love the costume, it really flatters her figure and strong facial features. I wish Miki was this artistic in her regular programs. Actually, it's funny because Mao is the same way, both have brilliant exhibitions but all too often their competitive programs are a bit flat or ill-fitting. I wonder..

vCash
    Daisuke Takahashi. French Twizzles
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...suke-takahashi

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Takahashi + Schoenfelder + Zazoui =
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Why did Suguri drop out of her lone international event (Finlandia)? Any indications from her twitter?

vCash
    I also worried about her withdrawal. Apparently, from what I can understand from Google translate. Fumie received medical attention for joint sprains. She also had boot troubles.

if anybody who knows japanese could care to translate please.
    http://sugurifumie.jp/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    I also worried about her withdrawal. Apparently, from what I can understand from Google translate. Fumie received medical attention for joint sprains. She also had boot troubles.

if anybody who knows japanese could care to translate please.
    http://sugurifumie.jp/
    I do not know about the boot troubles, but about the joins sprains you got it right. Only information to add is it's a joing of her right leg or ankle.

vCash
    Takahiko Kozuka is going to publish his first BOOK OF HIS PHOTOS!

Not the photos he took but photos of him. It says it's a "visual book."

It is from the same publisher who did Jeffrey Buttle's a few years ago, and the quality of Jeff's book was great.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Wheeee! Thank you so much, midori! I just pre-ordered it.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast