Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Japanese skater/skating news & updates

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sport...sp005000c.html
    Japanese figure skater Nobunari Oda was diagnosed earlier this week with a partial tear of his left patella tendon, sources said Saturday.

Oda will need about six weeks of complete rest but is expected to recover in time for the 2011-12 season, according to his doctor.
    Also on Saturday, top Japanese figure skating official Hidehito Ito said the country plans to hold a training camp this September in Sochi, Russia, the venue for the 2014 Winter Olympics.
    News from April: Japan Skating Federation announced the 2011/2012 Season Training Players of Japan (their funding envelope system)

vCash
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/11...0502000-n1.htm

Asada and Kozuka are going to train together with Nobuo Sato in the coming season. Asada hints to keep one of the programs. It's more likely to be the free (Liebestraume), according to another source.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/11...2134000-n1.htm

The JSF is planning pair (and dance) tryout sessions in June. Since Takahashi/Tran can't participate the Olympics, they are urged to create a national pair team for the team event.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Asada hints to keep one of the programs. It's more likely to be the free (Liebestraume), according to another source.

Since Takahashi/Tran can't participate the Olympics, they are urged to create a national pair team for the team event.
    Why can't they participate at the Olympics?

vCash
    Well, if Oda has to deal with an injury, I guess this is best time for it. Glad to hear he'll probably back 100% very soon.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post

Why can't they participate at the Olympics?
    Because Mervin Tran is Canadian and has no chance (or desire AFAIK) to become a Japanese citizen. AFAIK he would have to live there for 5 yrs for starters. And they train in Canada.

vCash
    [QUOTE=NMURA;3184182]http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/11...0502000-n1.htm

Asada and Kozuka are going to train together with Nobuo Sato in the coming season. Asada hints to keep one of the programs. It's more likely to be the free (Liebestraume), according to another source.

<cue more dating rumors>

Poor Oda. I hope he does take the needed time off to let his knee heal.

vCash
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/11...0502000-n1.htm

It seems she is undecided as this point. I hope she has two new programs and by a different choreographer!

vCash
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Miki Ando is taking the '11 - '12 season off? It has been alluded to in other threads.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Is there a news article in Japanese or English that confirms when Daisuke Takahashi is scheduled to have surgery to remove the screw from his knee? I've only come across a mention in this Universal Sports 4/30 blog after the Men's FS:
    Takahashi will take it year by year, but first, he must finally have the surgery to remove the screw from his knee (likely in May). Depending on his recovery, Takahashi cannot say for which events he will be back - but he will be back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Miki Ando is taking the '11 - '12 season off? It has been alluded to in other threads.
    No official confirmation for that yet but I hear the same from sources close to her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    No official confirmation for that yet but I hear the same from sources close to her.
    I hope she stays! I'm starting to enjoy her skating now and I think there's more potential in her than what she's done till now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    I hope she stays! I'm starting to enjoy her skating now and I think there's more potential in her than what she's done till now
    But, it might be better for someone like her who has had serious injuries to do this, especially as she gets older [relatively speaking]

vCash
    The JSF is planning pair (and dance) tryout sessions in June. Since Takahashi/Tran can't participate the Olympics, they are urged to create a national pair team for the team event.
    I'm glad to see the JSF take such an active role in developing their pairs an dance program. Hopefully Takahashi/Tran's success will inspire skaters to compete in pairs.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    It may not be a bad idea for Miki to take a season off. She has been competing for many years and if she wants to compete in 2014, she may want to avoid a burnout and/or injuries. She can come back fresh when she returns to competition.

BTW I am wondering what are the feelings in Japan about Mao's future? She is a gutsy lady, but how is her performance at the recent worlds being viewed? Do they still have faith that she will bounce back or do people think she may be on the way out? I hope she will bounce back. She is my most favorite lady skater in recent years (even though I like Yu na too).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    BTW I am wondering what are the feelings in Japan about Mao's future? She is a gutsy lady, but how is her performance at the recent worlds being viewed? Do they still have faith that she will bounce back or do people think she may be on the way out? I hope she will bounce back. She is my most favorite lady skater in recent years (even though I like Yu na too).
    Well, from post-worlds stuff I've seen, it still appears like Mao gets more coverage than Miki, so I'm guessing people there are understanding of her situation considering her rocky season. There were also several reports about her poor condition at Worlds citing considerable weight loss since the Earthquake. She did look very frail at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Well, from post-worlds stuff I've seen, it still appears like Mao gets more coverage than Miki, so I'm guessing people there are understanding of her situation considering her rocky season. There were also several reports about her poor condition at Worlds citing considerable weight loss since the Earthquake. She did look very frail at Worlds.
    I noticed how thin Mao looked at Worlds, too, and wondered if it was due to the stress of living and training in Japan after the earthquake. Does anyone have any links to interviews or information about Mao's training leading up to Worlds? Sorry if it's already been posted and I just missed it. . .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Is there a news article in Japanese or English that confirms when Daisuke Takahashi is scheduled to have surgery to remove the screw from his knee? I've only come across a mention in this Universal Sports 4/30 blog after the Men's FS:
    Probably this week. It's not officially confirmed, though.

vCash
    Dai has skated his last performance of the season, he's going into surgery,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrkRmF6V7XE

Also nice (surprise) visit of Dai & Shizuka to Sendai ice-show,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NaiIAVkSpw#t=5m20s

vCash
    Dreams on Ice 2011
    June 24-26, Yokohama

Men
    Oda
    Hanyu
    Mura
    Tanaka
    Nakamura
    Kihara

Ladies
    Murakami
    Suzuki
    Suguri
    Imai
    Shoji
    Oba
    Nishino

Pairs

Dance

Guests
    Lambiel
    Volosozhar/Trankov
    Pechalat/Bourzat

Takashi had a bolt removing surgery. Kozuka and Asada are out due to IMG's marketing tactics (to raise the value of THE ICE). Ando is in Russia, not sure what Morozov is planning for the next season.

vCash
    Dreams on Ice 2011
    June 24-26, Yokohama

Pairs

Dance
    No Takahashi/Tran and the Reeds?

upd. I opened the link. Yay, they're scheduled!
    Last edited by Eris; 05-19-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast