Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I didn't end the movie version of Doubt thinking he was definitely guilty. Did I miss something? I thought it was kind of boring so I may have

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I still thought the ending was ambiguous enough. I think they try to imply his guilt but mostly through HER doubt of his innocence. Who is to say she is right? I might need to watch it again.

I ordered Adaptation on DVD. Can't wait to get it, one of my favorite Streep movies.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    The Iron Lady will be released December 30 in the US. I love the poster:

http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-...1107093751.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    The Iron Lady will be released December 30 in the US. I love the poster:

http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-...1107093751.jpg
    My God, the likeness is uncanny!

vCash
    Indeed it is!
    It will be interesting to watch Ms. Streep create a fully-realized portrayal of Lady Thatcher.
    In lesser hands, this role could become a caricature.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 11-07-2011 at 04:19 PM.

vCash
    If La Streep does a fab job of playing Thatcher I'll be thrilled if she wins her third Oscar, but the bits I saw of her in the trailer didn't fully convince me that she was Thatcher. I'll see the movie when it's released, of course, and I'm sure my initial impression will prove unfounded, but there was something off about the way she spoke in the trailer. The voice seemed overdone and didn't resemble Thatcher's closely enough at all.

Come to think of it, I didn't think Streep did a very good job of playing another real life person, the violin teacher Roberta Guaspari, in that movie the title of which I'm blanking out on at the moment. I thought it was one of her most lifeless portrayals. That being said, she was nominated for her umpteenth Oscar for that film so it shows what I know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    If La Streep does a fab job of playing Thatcher I'll be thrilled if she wins her third Oscar, but the bits I saw of her in the trailer didn't fully convince me that she was Thatcher. I'll see the movie when it's released, of course, and I'm sure my initial impression will prove unfounded, but there was something off about the way she spoke in the trailer. The voice seemed overdone and didn't resemble Thatcher's closely enough at all.

Come to think of it, I didn't think Streep did a very good job of playing another real life person, the violin teacher Roberta Guaspari, in that movie the title of which I'm blanking out on at the moment. I thought it was one of her most lifeless portrayals. That being said, she was nominated for her umpteenth Oscar for that film so it shows what I know.
    You're thinking about Music of the Heart. Maybe Streep would have been better had she had more time to prepare. She was a last-minute replacement for Madonna after Wes Craven (yes, that Wes Craven!) and Madonna had creative differences. Meryl Streep has the distinction of being the only actor nominated for a Wes Craven film, I believe.

We have to see what the buzz is like for The Iron Lady but it seems that it would be difficult to defeat the Viola Davis (The Help) and Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs) who are getting the most buzz right now.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    You're thinking about Music of the Heart. Maybe Streep would have been better had she had more time to prepare. She was a last-minute replacement for Madonna after Wes Craven (yes, that Wes Craven!) and Madonna had creative differences. Meryl Streep has the distinction of being the only actor nominated for a Wes Craven film, I believe.
    Meryl Streep replacing Madonna...there's something you don't hear or see every day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Meryl Streep replacing Madonna...there's something you don't hear or see every day.
    I read an excerpt over what happened between Craven and Madonna, and it was that Wes Craven truly believed Madonna would have had an acting breakthrough with this role (she was willing to work hard for it and studied the violin for 10 weeks beforehand) if she revealed a vulnerable, sensitive side Craven felt she had. Of course, we all know how Madonna has trouble doing any of that and can't let go of having control. Thus the fall-out.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    You're thinking about Music of the Heart.
    Yes, that's it! Thanks, VIETgrl. I knew it was Music-something or the other. Gawd, what an awful title - I'd have avoided watching the film based on the title alone if I hadn't known that Streep was playing the lead role.

I've seen a clip of Close in Albert Nobbs, and she did indeed look impressive if only in that short scene. I've always found her a tad mannish so perhaps playing the role isn't that much of a stretch for Close. I've never been ape over Close because she gives off a bitchy vibe, but she's given some good performances and is long overdue, so I won't complain if she wins the BA Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Didn't I read something about Streep wanting to tear Madonna's throat out if Madge got to play Evita? It's a pity that the first scenario didn't pan out and a pity that the second one did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Yes, that's it! Thanks, VIETgrl. I knew it was Music-something or the other. Gawd, what an awful title - I'd have avoided watching the film based on the title alone if I hadn't known that Streep was playing the lead role.

I've seen a clip of Close in Albert Nobbs, and she did indeed look impressive if only in that short scene. I've always found her a tad mannish so perhaps playing the role isn't that much of a stretch for Close. I've never been ape over Close because she gives off a bitchy vibe, but she's given some good performances and is long overdue, so I won't complain if she wins the BA Oscar.

Didn't I read something about Streep wanting to tear Madonna's throat out if Madge got to play Evita? It's a pity that the first scenario didn't pan out and a pity that the second one did.
    Meryl Streep denies it, .

http://nybloger.com/2008/07/17/meryl...na-evita-feud/

Who knows what the truth is. Evita was a much coveted role in the 80s-90s. Name a actress, and I bet they all wanted or were considered for the role of Eva Peron.

That said, I actually read somewhere (don't remember where) that Meryl was actually glowing about Madonna's performance in Evita after she saw the film. I thought Madonna was really good in it (yeah her singing wasn't Patti Lupone, but it worked for the film), but that's to be expected since it was one big music video. I also don't believe Meryl is a better singer (or much better singer) than Madonna. That said, I still can't believe Madonna won the Golden Globe for it over Frances McDormand in Fargo.

vCash
    I really want to see Streep win her 3rd Oscar. It's been long overdue. She keeps giving top performances, only to see the Oscar going to someone else-occasionally to an undeserved performance.

However, last night I saw the trailer of the movie about Marilyn Monroe, and Michelle Williams looks very convincing. I also read an article about that movie, about how Michelle prepared for the role and went to the soul of Marilyn and the characters she played.

I am afraid the Oscar will once again go to the younger star who has not yet won an Oscar. Streep will be denied again.

vCash
    It's too early for Oscar talk for Streep when most people haven't seen the film yet. Remember that this film is directed by the same woman who butchered Mama Mia. It certainly doesn't give me confident that the Thatcher movie itself will be well directed. I'm not sure why Streep decided to go with this director, other than maybe working with this director gave Streep more control over the actual filming process.

Kristen Dunst has been getting rave reviews for Melancholia. I've always liked her, so don't be surprised if she sneaks in

vCash
    Streep is an acting tour de force. She's bigger than the Oscar, IMHO. Looking forward to seeing Streep as Thatcher.

O-

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    The British press has begun printing reviews of the film. They're mixed to positive, but Streep is getting raves all-around:

http://www.periscopepost.com/2011/11...-itself-mixed/

vCash
    I think the early buzz is around Streep, Close, and Williams, but don't forget Kristin Scott-Thomas in 'Sarah's Key'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    However, last night I saw the trailer of the movie about Marilyn Monroe, and Michelle Williams looks very convincing.
    UGH!! Michelle Williams is attractive, but playing my all-time idol MARILYN MONROE--the most gorgeous woman to ever appear on the silver screen????? GAG me with TWO spoons!!!

Alright, I'm ok now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I totally agree. Very few actresses in history become the characters they are portraying the way Streep does.
    This may be true.....but I suspect Glenn Close is going to give her a run for her money.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I think the early buzz is around Streep, Close, and Williams, but don't forget Kristin Scott-Thomas in 'Sarah's Key'
    Just finished watching Sarah's Key and Kristin Scott Thomas was great but the girl who played young Sarah stole the show. I would nominate her for a supporting Oscar in a heart beat. Is there any buzz around her performance? The movie was INCREDIBLE, by the way.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    UGH!! Michelle Williams is attractive, but playing my all-time idol MARILYN MONROE--the most gorgeous woman to ever appear on the silver screen????? GAG me with TWO spoons!!!

Alright, I'm ok now.
    She is one of the most mundane looking actresses we've got (well, she's got that in common with Meryl already!).

Reviews of the movie give her props, but I don't sense a Sandra Bullock/Blind Side type momentum build coming. The flick itself is being reviewed pretty well, but some its plotholes, starting with the alleged lover writing himself as a superhero. Probably all fiction, but she's not around to deny or disprove: A man claiming to have had an affair with MM (also my alltime movie idol, duane) / confidante / acting coach / cultural attache / all-around savior ... for a few days while she was married to Arthur Miller. Zero corroborating evidence to back his claim. Yay, more fiction being woven into real-life and presenting itself as historical.

Otherwise ...

Judi Dench has a small role. = Oscar nomination, just because, right?

Dougray Scott, even in his Millerfied state =

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast