Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 202
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    I don't think the director was the problem with Mamma Mia. Actually, I am not sure there was a problem. For me it was a good film for what it was, a fun, campy and slightly cheesy musical. It was not the type of role to showcase any acting skills even if Meryl Streep was involved. Didn't it go on to become the biggest grossing film of all time in Britain?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  2. #22
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    9,747
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What else has Phyllida Lloyd directed?

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    What else has Phyllida Lloyd directed?
    Apparently not a lot. IMDB lists in order:

    Gloriana, Mamma Mia, Macbeth and Iron Lady

    Macbeth has a 2011 release date and hardly any information on IMDB so not sure what that means. Iron Lady is of course not done. So only 2 to go on. Oh, and Gloriana was a TV movie. Not the best resume but I think Meryl can more than direct herself to an Oscar.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,143
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I love that Merly Streep would agree to do Mama Mia. She is incredibly talented, but doesn't take herself too seriously.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11600
    It's a really challenging role, even for an actress as accomplished as Streep. Especially taking into account the challenge of being the female prime minister of a major western power, which is much more daunting that being the female prime minister of a country deemed less important in the global hegemony (i.e. Pakiston). Thatcher is pretty much the only woman to have accomplished that (though Canada did have a female PM for a few weeks).

    It would be a real stretch for even an accomplished actress to penetrate Thatcher's rigid Iron Lady persona and uncover the dimensions of the woman within it, her struggles, and her triumphs. There aren't a lot of screen precedents for it, as there are for queens and the wives of Presidents and Prime Ministers.

    Looking forward to seeing how Streep manages it!! It could be a brilliant opportunity for her, but she also miss the mark. And I say that even though I generally love Streep.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,108
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Streep doesn't miss the mark.


  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Main floor
    Posts
    2,459
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Too bad Terry-Thomas is no longer with us, he would have made a perfect Enoch Powell. http://filmsdefrance.com/img/Terry-Thomas.jpg
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/...dia/Powell.jpg

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I read that CZJ bought Rolexes for Oscar voters so it ain't surprising she won. Ugh...can't ever picture Streep doing that.

    I can't wait to watch Streep in Iron Lady - Thatcher was such a character that I'm really curious as to how Meryl will play her. Let's hope she does as accurate an impression as Thatcher on Spitting Image. It would be fitting for Streep to finally win another Oscar for playing someone so ingrained in the public consciousness and who had such an impact in the UK.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    It's a really challenging role, even for an actress as accomplished as Streep. Especially taking into account the challenge of being the female prime minister of a major western power, which is much more daunting that being the female prime minister of a country deemed less important in the global hegemony (i.e. Pakiston). Thatcher is pretty much the only woman to have accomplished that (though Canada did have a female PM for a few weeks).

    It would be a real stretch for even an accomplished actress to penetrate Thatcher's rigid Iron Lady persona and uncover the dimensions of the woman within it, her struggles, and her triumphs. There aren't a lot of screen precedents for it, as there are for queens and the wives of Presidents and Prime Ministers.

    Looking forward to seeing how Streep manages it!! It could be a brilliant opportunity for her, but she also miss the mark. And I say that even though I generally love Streep.
    Your post implies that accomplishments of women from non-western countries are not as impressive as that of a western country's head (in this case Thatcher). You are only displaying your ignorance and/or bias by making a statement like that. There have been great women leaders in non-western countries too (e.g. Golda Meir, Indira Gandhi, etc.), and currently there are women heads of states in Germany, Australia, and others. Why are they not as admirable to you as Mrs.Thatcher? Do you really know what challenges these women had to face, or you only consider what happens in western countries real challenges? I guess you don't consider these other countries a 'power', so their heads must have it all easy, according to you.

    That said, I am defnitely interested in Streep's portrayal of Thatcher. Many times the Oscars have gone to actors/actresses that played real life people. May be this will help her chances.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11600
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Your post implies that accomplishments of women from non-western countries are not as impressive as that of a western country's head (in this case Thatcher). You are only displaying your ignorance and/or bias by making a statement like that. There have been great women leaders in non-western countries too (e.g. Golda Meir, Indira Gandhi, etc.), and currently there are women heads of states in Germany, Australia, and others. Why are they not as admirable to you as Mrs.Thatcher?
    I do not imply that the political accomplishments of female politicians in non-western countries are less impressive than their western counterparts. And nor did I say anything that suggests I find them less admirable.

    The comment I made was "a country deemed less important in the global hegemony". If a US president is female she is going to hold more power over world affairs than a President from a less powerful country and there is going to be more resistance to a female leader. This is because the structure of world affairs remains patriarchal despite political advancements by women, which is evident in women's lesser representation in office vis a vis men. The last statistics I remember referencing re women's representation in office revealed that the representation of American women was way down the list. (Sweden was highest among western nations).

    The fact that this is a reality does not reflect my views of female politicians or indicate that female leaders of non-western country have it easier than their western counterpart. I have tremendous admiration for the exiled leader of Pakistan, Indira Ghandi, and Golda Meir, among others.

  11. #31
    Wandering Goy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5836
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Streep doesn't miss the mark.

    I think Japanfan inadvertently left out a "might" or "could" in her post.

    Meryl hasn't missed lately, I'll grant you, but she is only human (and, to her credit, would probably be one of the first to say so).

    I couldn't stand watching her early in her career with all the accents and the serious drama, but the sheer range and volume of her work is amazing, and it has been interesting for me to observe over the years that she really doesn't take herself as a person all that seriously (or else she's even a more brilliant actress in public than in her roles).
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    I think my favorite Streep role was in Adaptation. She was just incredible and that is one of my favorite movies. I could watch it so many times and always notice something new. It is also nice because Streep plays a completely different character than you would imagine.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11600
    I loved her in the HBO series starring Al Pacino, I can't remember the name of the show but she played a Mormon mom.

    I also loved her in Bridges of Madison County, despite the fact that the accent wasn't quite right - or so say some who know Italian.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    being a grumpy penguin
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,909
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5587
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Streep doesn't miss the mark.

    Unless you're watching Out of Africa, cuz that movie just plain sucks.

    I loved her in Kramer v. Kramer though

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I loved her in the HBO series starring Al Pacino, I can't remember the name of the show but she played a Mormon mom.
    .
    Angels in America. One of the most amazing mini series ever.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    3,302
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    She will sit it out this year as it is looking to be very strong lineup for first time nominees this year.
    Such as who?

    Would love for Streep to get another Oscar. She was robbed for Julie/Julia.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    First time nominees are always at a disadvantage. Especially if said nominees are young. The voters tend to have the mentality that they have plenty of time to win. The only exception I could think of is if older, previous winners have dominated recently but that has not been the case, at all.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    First time nominees are always at a disadvantage. Especially if said nominees are young. The voters tend to have the mentality that they have plenty of time to win. The only exception I could think of is if older, previous winners have dominated recently but that has not been the case, at all.
    I don't quite agree with that. There have been several actors/actresses that won as first time nominees. Hillary Swank, Gwyneth Paltrow, Adrian Brody are a few examples, and I am sure there are more.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Unless you're watching Out of Africa, cuz that movie just plain sucks.

    I loved her in Kramer v. Kramer though
    Sorry. I loved Out of Africa and thought Meryl should have won the Oscar for her portrayal of Isac Dinnesan/Karen/Tania.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Steep has never "missed" in my book, and I've been awed dozens of times in Streep dramas -- Sophie's Choice, Adaptation, and Silkwood stand out. But I tend to most fondly remember her comic turns, e.g. Julie & Julia, Devil Loves Prada and Death Becomes Her, where she was really let loose with Bruce Willis and Goldie Hawn and an already loose script. Her wicked/poignant turn in Angels in America also rings true and often.

    Mamma Mia is the exception here, and that's not for performance (she was a hoot), but just because Meryl was far too old for the part. And because I'll never be able to erase Pierce Brosnan's singing from my memory. For chrissakes, if dubbing was EVER needed, it was his MM S.O.S. duet

    OTOH, Pierce Brosnan. Still. And then some. All is forgiven.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •