Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher, in a film being released in the fall. Easy math! ...

Streep + Streep accent + Streep Oscar drought+ British theme + Weinstein US promotion
    =
    OSCAR WIN

Any other actress with serious Oscar-caliber work/expectations should, pronto, delay her film into early 2012, claiming "production delays" or some other b.s. Iron Lady distribution

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    She will get beat out again by someone else. I would LOVE for her to win one more Oscar. She doesn't have enough considering the AMAZING roles she has done and been nominated for.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I would LOVE for her to win one more Oscar. She doesn't have enough considering the AMAZING roles she has done and been nominated for.
    I totally agree. Very few actresses in history become the characters they are portraying the way Streep does.

vCash
    She will sit it out this year as it is looking to be very strong lineup for first time nominees this year. But probably win finally next year for August: Osage County.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    But probably win finally next year for August: Osage County.
    Yeah, I think that'll be hard to beat!

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Oh, Weinstein picked up the rights? That man campaigns hard for his actors. Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman.....Paltrow (?) all won, to name a few.

vCash
    Weinstein can do magic. But for every winner, they have 10 losses Anyway, August: Osage County is also their production.

vCash
    I can't wait to see both of these films. The thought of Streep in August: Osage County is just to me. It was the best production of a play I've ever seen.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Banned Member
    vCash
    Wouldn't it be the thirty year anniversary since her last Oscar if she wins for this? She is such an amazing actor I cringe when I think of some who have won in the last thirty years. (Helen Hunt, Gyneth Paltrow).

vCash
    Some of the Oscar nominations in the middle, I can kind of see why she didn't win. I mean, Music of the Heart, come on. However, I still think losing to Catherine Zeta Jones in 02 is crazy and don't even get me started on her losing to Sandra Bullock.

vCash
    CZJ was pretty effing awesome in Chicago though. By far the best thing in that movie.

Sandra Bullock, though... I'll never understand that decision. Especially when Streep was Julia Child.

vCash
    1988 had a score of amazing, nominated performances (Glen Close for Dangerous Liaisons, Melanie Griffith for Working Girl, Sigourney Weaver for Gorillas in the Mist, and winner Jodie Foster for The Accused, but my pick would have been Streep for A Cry In the Dark. I SO love this movie and Streep's performance!

vCash
    Streep has missed out on quite a few roles that were truly Oscar worthy. I hope some day the academy honors her with at least a third Oscar, and not the one for Lifetime Achievement (that too will come eventually).

vCash
    Not trying to hijack this thread but it fits with the theme.

I just watched Blue Valentine. It wasn't the most exciting movie I have ever seen but the acting was just phenomenal. I can't possibly see a way that these two will not win an Oscar at some point in their life if they want it. They have both been nominated (she twice, including for this, him once for Half Nelson) and are so young. I forgot I was watching a movie. Michelle Williams was especially strong.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rayba...feature=relmfu

I found this video of Cher winning the Oscar for Moonstruck in 1988. Look at the reaction of Meryl Streep who was also nominated. She was happier than Cher was! Paul Newman was smoking hot for a man his age! I guess I shouldn't be surprised when he looked like this in his prime:

http://www.styleofeye.com/images/paul-newman122.jpg
    -Brian

vCash
    I don't care about the Oscars, but this IS a film I am looking forward to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    CZJ was pretty effing awesome in Chicago though. By far the best thing in that movie.

Sandra Bullock, though... I'll never understand that decision. Especially when Streep was Julia Child.
    I agree, CZJ was the best part of that movie and very good. I just think Meryl Streep in Adaptation, which is also a far better movie than Chicao, was sublime and far above anyone else that year.

I have no idea why Bullock got the Oscar unless people just like her. It's not like Kate Winslet or Nicole Kidman where a role was overlooked and they won a couple years later instead.

And really, I thought she was better in Doubt than Kate Winslet in The Reader. I think Winslet should have either been nominated for Best Actress in Revolutionary Road or supporting for The Reader.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread but it fits with the theme.

I just watched Blue Valentine. It wasn't the most exciting movie I have ever seen but the acting was just phenomenal. I can't possibly see a way that these two will not win an Oscar at some point in their life if they want it. They have both been nominated (she twice, including for this, him once for Half Nelson) and are so young. I forgot I was watching a movie. Michelle Williams was especially strong.
    I love Blue Valentine. I agree that it didn't feel like a movie, it felt like staring into the most troubled parts of a relationship. I never thought I'd say it, but Williams is one of my favorite actors out there right now. I think Ryan Gosling deserved a nomination as well. I can't believe how strong of an actor Williams has become. She was terrific in Brokeback Moustain, but even better in Wendy and Lucy, which didn't receive an Oscar nomination. Unfortunately, I think she needs to take the lead in a larger studio production to win an Oscar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Some of the Oscar nominations in the middle, I can kind of see why she didn't win. I mean, Music of the Heart, come on. However, I still think losing to Catherine Zeta Jones in 02 is crazy and don't even get me started on her losing to Sandra Bullock.
    Ditto. Those were two years I really really wanted her to win. I suspect the voters hold her to a higher standard in some ways. I'm really excited about her upcoming films and hope she does get another Oscar someday.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    This is one the upcoming movies I'm really looking forward to. I mean, if *anyone* can turn themselves into Maggie Thatcher, then...

The other one I can't wait for is A Dangerous Method. Viggo Mortensen as Freud w/David Cronenberg directing? Reserve me a seat in the theatre for Opening Night for this puppy!!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Actually I believe the Weinsteins just picked this film for for distribution, they aren't actually the producers. (i.e. in having laid out the production costs)

The movie is directed by Phyllida Law, who did Streep no favors in "Mamma Mia." And as much as I love Meryl, that movie was far from good on most levels.

I'd love to see Streep win another Oscar, but honestly it doesn't seem like she seems concerned. She's known for not campaigning, which severely undercut her chances in 2003, 2006, and 2009.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast