Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 535

Thread: NY Ballet fans

  1. #121
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    I'm going to see Vishneva in Anna Karenina in NY in July! I'm so excited!
    Lucky you! Come back and tell us all about it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36466
    Anyone going to see "Bright Stream" on Friday?
    Let me know if you want to meet up.

  3. #123
    moving right along
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hiding from the mirror.
    Posts
    7,031
    vCash
    20817
    Rep Power
    44078
    non-NY ballet freak here. Going to Pacific NW Ballet's new production of Giselle on Saturday. And Carla Korbes is dancing for us. I've seen so many Giselles. Can't wait to see her's.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3493
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    non-NY ballet freak here. Going to Pacific NW Ballet's new production of Giselle on Saturday. And Carla Korbes is dancing for us. I've seen so many Giselles. Can't wait to see her's.
    The NY Times review of this made me want to get on the next plane out there and beg for a ticket.

    I went to Cuban Ballet's excerpts evening at BAM tonight. I'll post a review when the heat here reaches reasonable and I can actually think straight.

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36466
    I'm hoping all the Cuban men will sneak out tonight and knock on Kevin's door.
    Is anyone seeing RDB this week?
    I am attending on Friday and Saturday evening. Meetup, anyone?
    Also, if anyone is attending Jose's farewell and wants to do dinner with me, say the word. Cuban food, of course. And mojitos.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3493
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    I'm hoping all the Cuban men will sneak out tonight and knock on Kevin's door.
    Is anyone seeing RDB this week?
    I am attending on Friday and Saturday evening. Meetup, anyone?
    Also, if anyone is attending Jose's farewell and wants to do dinner with me, say the word. Cuban food, of course. And mojitos.
    Saturday night for RDB. I'm going with friends but sitting in a totally different location and having dinner with them first, so maybe you and I can find each other at intermission for a chat. I'm up in the second ring somewhere.

    I know what you mean about wanting the men to sneak out and knock on Kevin's door, but I had a revelation tonight. I've seen too much ABT lately and not enough anyone else and suddenly ABT looks very stale to me.

    I'm interested in your review of Bright Stream because I'm going on Tuesday.

  7. #127

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36466
    After seeing NBC, I have a feeling that ABT is going to pale in comparison, so it's probably a good thing that I'm seeing something lightweight tonight.

    I am in the second ring sides at the Koch next Friday and Saturday, so meeting up will be a breeze.

    Has anyone ever gone to Midsummer Night's Swing, btw?
    There's a group of us at work who go out together on a regular basis, and every year we say we will try this. But we can never agree on the date or the music. This year I said the hell with it, and decided to go on my own. If anyone is attending anything at Lincoln Center on July 7th, you can give yourself a good laugh by cruising past the dance floor and looking for me.

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3493
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    After seeing NBC, I have a feeling that ABT is going to pale in comparison, so it's probably a good thing that I'm seeing something lightweight tonight.

    I am in the second ring sides at the Koch next Friday and Saturday, so meeting up will be a breeze.

    Has anyone ever gone to Midsummer Night's Swing, btw?
    There's a group of us at work who go out together on a regular basis, and every year we say we will try this. But we can never agree on the date or the music. This year I said the hell with it, and decided to go on my own. If anyone is attending anything at Lincoln Center on July 7th, you can give yourself a good laugh by cruising past the dance floor and looking for me.
    Go, Marge. I'll see you at RDB.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36466
    ABT has a photo tribute for Jose on their website:

    http://www.abt.org/gallery/detail.asp?Gallery_ID=86

    Jose as Acteon =

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3493
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    ABT has a photo tribute for Jose on their website:

    http://www.abt.org/gallery/detail.asp?Gallery_ID=86

    Jose as Acteon =
    I wouldn't kick the Apollo out of bed either. Thanks for posting.

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36466
    Magnolia Bakery has created a swan cupcake for ABT. They are also having a contest to win Swan Lake tickets:

    http://www.magnoliabakery.com/news.php

  12. #132
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    I want one!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36466
    I will eat one in your honor.

  14. #134

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36466
    "The Bright Stream" is a hoot. Go see it!
    There is a dog. And a cow. And a man in drag.
    I laughed until I cried.
    Last edited by Marge_Simpson; 06-11-2011 at 07:02 PM.

  15. #135
    Resident Rude Brazilian
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    Posts
    3,232
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15463
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    "The Bright Stream" is a hoot. Go see it!
    There is a dog. And a cow. And a man in drag.
    I laughed until I cried,
    Ballet review + FSU snark: what's not to love?


    I'm loving the reviews!!
    Please keep them coming (pretty please...). I can't go watch anything, so I'm living vicarioulsy through them.

    My biggest ballet accomplishment this week was getting my hands on three different versions of La Bayadère (obsessed, much? ), including the '90s Royal Ballet one.

  16. #136
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    "The Bright Stream" is a hoot. Go see it!
    There is a dog. And a cow. And a man in drag.
    I laughed until I cried,
    Sounds like The Little Mermaid by SFBallet. There was a wheelchair and golf clubs and a old Russian mafia tune.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  17. #137

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36466
    I thought SFB's Little Mermaid was rated R?

    It is so hard for me to do a review of "Bright Stream" because the whole thing was so witty and fun, and everyone in the cast I saw was charming and completely in character. So anything I say will read something like this:
    (insert dancer's name here) was hilarious as (insert role here)
    (insert dancer's name here) brought the house down as (insert role here)
    Last edited by Marge_Simpson; 06-11-2011 at 07:10 PM.

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    Posts
    3,864
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The Tokyo Ballet's Giselle with Vishneva and Malakov is gone from youtube, but not from the 'net

    I've watched these videos many times in the past and never tire of them. Malakov is alarmingly regal in his bearing from beginning to end

  19. #139

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3493
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    The Tokyo Ballet's Giselle with Vishneva and Malakov is gone from youtube, but not from the 'net

    I've watched these videos many times in the past and never tire of them. Malakov is alarmingly regal in his bearing from beginning to end
    I saw them do ABT's version a few years ago. It is the single best Giselle I have ever seen. I believe I posted somewhere upthread that Malakhov had such posture, line and bearing that I thought every villager was one grape cluster short of a wine barrel to not recognize this guy for an aristocrat the moment they saw him. He was definitely regal in his bearing from the minute he stepped on stage the night I went.


    ETA: I promised to review Cuban Ballet from Thursday. I will do it soon, but it will be strictly no-teknik.
    Last edited by emason; 06-11-2011 at 08:01 PM.

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    Posts
    3,864
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I saw them do ABT's version a few years ago. It is the single best Giselle I have ever seen. I believe I posted somewhere upthread that Malakhov had such posture, line and bearing that I thought every villager was one grape cluster short of a wine barrel to not recognize this guy for an aristocrat the moment they saw him. He was definitely regal in his bearing from the minute he stepped on stage the night I went.


    ETA: I promised to review Cuban Ballet from Thursday. I will do it soon, but it will be strictly no-teknik.
    Oh, yes, I saw your review and I am immensely jealous that you got to see the two of them in these roles in person. I think I really meant to say that his bearing was arrestingly regal, rather than alarmingly (I've seen him dance before and know what beautiful posture and carriage he has, so I wasn't surprised to see it, but these aspects certainly stood out in this performance). His acting here is sublime, too.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •