Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 535

Thread: NY Ballet fans

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33653

    NY Ballet fans

    Judging by the "hefty dancer" thread awhile back, it seems quite a few of us attend the ballet.
    I'm going to see ABT's Don Quixote this Friday. With my divine sex god Jose Carreno and Alina Cojacaru. If anyone else is also attending and would like to meet for a drink or dinner beforehand, or just meet up at intermission, let me know.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33653
    Well, I will try again!
    If anyone is attending on Tuesday May 24(mixed bill) or Friday May 27 (Giselle w/Vishneva and Gomes) and wants to meet up, let me know.

  3. #3
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33169
    SO wish I could see Vishneva's Giselle live. Then I'll be ready for October 21st or whenever the next end of the world is scheduled. Please post your reviews!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32055
    Just seeing this thread. Yay for ballet fans!

    But alas, my friend and I saw Don Quixote last night, i.e., Saturday night performance. Gillian Murphy/Cory Stearns. I haven't seen DQ in several years, so it was great seeing it again. Especially loved the second act dream sequence and the third act. I wouldn't say GM had a ton of Spanish flair but she seems like an amazing dancer to this totally no-teknik ballet fan. What did you think, Marge?

    And we are going to see Giselle, but our tickets are for next Saturday night. I don't think we got tix for any Friday evening performances. :-/
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    I am going to the May 24th mixed bill, but I am going with a friend and having dinner with her first, so no chance for a meet up. We can, however, have a discussion here afterwards. I'm especially looking forward to Shadowplay.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,814
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2089
    If only! Enjoy, Marge, for me too. It's tough to love something so much and yet live far away from the hub of things. We have decent enough dance here, but it ain't NYC...

    Fortunately my daughter lives in NJ close enough to the train to get to the City with good planning and foresight. I saw ABT several years ago-La Bayadere. Gillian Murphy was Gamzatti, and she was just perfect for that role! Her triple triple triple fouettes were insane.

    I need to come back for another Ballet Fix!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,498
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    If only! Enjoy, Marge, for me too. It's tough to love something so much and yet live far away from the hub of things.
    Enjoy for me, as well!
    I'll await your impressions and the discussion, here.

  8. #8
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33169
    Yes, Gillian Murphy's fouettés are so incredibly athletic! The triples!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33653
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I am going to the May 24th mixed bill, but I am going with a friend and having dinner with her first, so no chance for a meet up. We can, however, have a discussion here afterwards. I'm especially looking forward to Shadowplay.
    I am looking forward to seeing this man, who is incredibly handsome, a lovely dancer, and should have been promoted to soloist years ago:
    http://www.abt.org/dancers/detail.asp?Dancer_ID=100

    Can we meet up at one of the intermissions? If it's not raining, I will be on the balcony. I will be easy to identify - I will wear my funky straw hat.

    Is anyone going to Jose Carreno's farewell performance on June 30th? I requested to be off from work as soon as it was announced (I work evenings) and have splurged on an orchestra seat. I am planning to have dinner at a Cuban restaurant first (and drink a mojito) I am apt to be a bit weepy as I simply adore Jose, but would love to have company for dinner.
    Last edited by Marge_Simpson; 05-22-2011 at 06:53 PM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singleville aka 7th Circle of Hell
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,382
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9520
    If I win the lottery, I'll see you there.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

  11. #11
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33169
    Gillian Murphy's triple triples!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33653
    Jose Carreno's divine pirouettes and overall sexiness
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Robertde.../0/yqDgas0UBN8

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,716
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33350
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Gillian Murphy's triple triples!
    Wow, and the guy started off doing 6 turns on one foot. And all those clunky gymnasts have trouble getting around a triple turn without falling out of it. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  14. #14
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33169
    The Swan Lake fouettés made me think of the Don Quixote fouettés and then by association, of this surreal performance.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing this man, who is incredibly handsome, a lovely dancer, and should have been promoted to soloist years ago:
    http://www.abt.org/dancers/detail.asp?Dancer_ID=100

    Can we meet up at one of the intermissions? If it's not raining, I will be on the balcony. I will be easy to identify - I will wear my funky straw hat.

    Is anyone going to Jose Carreno's farewell performance on June 30th? I requested to be off from work as soon as it was announced (I work evenings) and have splurged on an orchestra seat. I am planning to have dinner at a Cuban restaurant first (and drink a mojito) I am apt to be a bit weepy as I simply adore Jose, but would love to have company for dinner.
    Carreno's final performance sold out long before I decided to try to get a ticket; I will just have to content myself with the memory of the fine performances of his that I have seen.

    I sent you a PM with my seat location as I most likely will remain in my seat. Come on by if you feel like it.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33653
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Carreno's final performance sold out long before I decided to try to get a ticket; I will just have to content myself with the memory of the fine performances of his that I have seen.

    I sent you a PM with my seat location as I most likely will remain in my seat. Come on by if you feel like it.
    Of course I will feel like it. I'll see you Tuesday.
    For Carreno's farewell, you can keep checking ABT's website, sometimes people turn in tickets that they can't use.
    I am going to chuck something on stage for him at the curtain call. Not flowers, and not my panties. It is my dearest wish that I get a photo of him holding it.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    Of course I will feel like it. I'll see you Tuesday.
    For Carreno's farewell, you can keep checking ABT's website, sometimes people turn in tickets that they can't use.
    I am going to chuck something on stage for him at the curtain call. Not flowers, and not my panties. It is my dearest wish that I get a photo of him holding it.
    I hope you get your wish.

    E.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    The Swan Lake fouettés made me think of the Don Quixote fouettés and then by association, of this surreal performance.
    ^^Wow! And this below shows how MB was always restless to dance in whatever medium:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBZCrBHMm4


    Thanks for the info and the links. The thing I miss most about living in New York is ballet at Lincoln Center!

  19. #19
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33169
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^Wow! And this below shows how MB was always restless to dance in whatever medium:
    I think it's the case with some ballet greats--having danced, mastered and reinvented all classical roles, they get bored and look for the next challenge.

    Fon instance, Vishneva having done all the major classical roles, turned to modern dance in her Beauty In Motion.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33653
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I think it's the case with some ballet greats--having danced, mastered and reinvented all classical roles, they get bored and look for the next challenge. [/I].
    That's one thing I especially admire about Jose. NO role is beyond him

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS54j9YMlnc

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •