Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    How old is Charlotte? I hope she does not grow any more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    How old is Charlotte? I hope she does not grow any more.
    Eighteen. I'm pretty sure she's done growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer2 View Post
    Are you talking about Madison Chock or Madison Hubbell? I believe earlier in this thread it was stated that Madison Hubbell is skating with Zach Donohue, at the DSC w/Camerlengo and Krylova. But thanks for the news that they are looking great. Did you happen to know what music they are using this year?
    Hubbell, now if I could remember what they were skating to!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    Hubbell, now if I could remember what they were skating to!
    Thanks mysticchic-didn't think Madison Chock would leave Igor's camp, so was surprised to see she could possibly be skating at DSC.
    Now if you could only remember what Maddie was skating to...

vCash

Smile Shibutani's

Can someone explain the Shibutani's to me? I was rather surprised at their placing this year at Worlds. I am not putting them down. Just want to get someone's informed opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCDN View Post
    Can someone explain the Shibutani's to me? I was rather surprised at their placing this year at Worlds. I am not putting them down. Just want to get someone's informed opinion.
    There was some relevant discussion about the Shibutanis in this Samuelson/Bates thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=78661&page=3

BYW, I've started an event thread for the Lake Placid IDC in the Kiss and Cry forum (which is still open to all through this month): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79078
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-07-2011 at 03:24 AM.

vCash
    Can someone explain the Shibutani's to me?
    The Shibutani's what? You seem to have left out a word, because the plural of Shibutani is Shibutanis.

vCash
    Not sure how informed my opinion is but to me when you go out and skate to two (actually 3) gorgeous pieces of music and you look like you are truly dancing on ice, that's already a great start to good scores. In addition, I think they have very nice edges, very nice posture, they relate very well to one another (I know, they are sibs), and in general their programs this season were just sublime and imo, exactly what the judges wanted to see. Their improvement over last season was substantial and I, for one, thought they well deserved their Worlds placement.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    ^ agreed but it didn't hurt that the European team fell and lost major points that probably would have come in 3rd. Happy for Shibs though, nice kids and Uof M Wolverines!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    ^ agreed but it didn't hurt that the European team fell and lost major points that probably would have come in 3rd. Happy for Shibs though, nice kids and Uof M Wolverines!
    Oh yeah, definitely. I guess I meant that they were well deserving of third after P/B's major error. If P/B had skated clean, I believe they would have been 3rd with the Shibs fourth. S/S definitely benefited from that but also what they put out there on the ice was wonderful.

vCash
    Should their nickname be Shibsibs, SibShib, Maialex, shibshib or what?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I'm not sure how informed I am -- but my first exposure to them was in Spokane 2007 when they won the novice title. They just have the "it" factor -- when you see them in person, EVERYTHING looks so effortless, so fast, and they truly look like they are enjoying themselves. They truly swept the audience up into their skating. Felt the same way seeing them win Juniors in 2010.

Maybe it doesn't translate well to tv, but in person I found them totally captivating.

vCash
    At US Nationals, the Shibs garnered more audience applause than Meryl & Charlie; really enthusiastic standing ovations in both the SD and FD. They are definitely a team that have to be seen live to be most appreciated.

For one thing, their speed develops from beautiful, efficient stroking. They can be flying across the ice, but it really does always look effortless.

For another, they have some of the best timing I have ever seen. When every move of a team really arises from the music, it is inexpressibly moving.

And on the trivial side, their twizzles are lightning fast, and had good ice coverage on all 3 sets. And if you will look, they get level 4's on almost everything almost all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    At US Nationals, the Shibs garnered more audience applause than Meryl & Charlie; really enthusiastic standing ovations in both the SD and FD. They are definitely a team that have to be seen live to be most appreciated.
    I appreciated them on TV because I'm a bit old-fashioned and I love seeing actual dancing on ice. In their FD this year, they really looked like they were dancing.

I have a secret wish. Skating adds a 5th discipline called Performance Art and Ice Dance is split in two. PA gets all the voidy OTT push the envelope stuff and Ice Dance gets back compulsories and programs like the Shibs' FD. We are free to love both disciplines and we don't have to argue about which style the judges are leaning to because both types will win championships. I would have loved it in 2003 if L/A had successfully defended their title, even if it was with that lousy rock-and-roll number, because they were actually dancing and B/K could still have made history by winning PA with that piece that never once said dancing to me but was still fabulous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    And on the trivial side, their twizzles are lightning fast, and had good ice coverage on all 3 sets. .
    If I remember correctly it wasn't what our commentators said. They said good twizzles but not good ice coverage without the power .yet

vCash
    That would be back in Jr's that the ice coverage was lacking. Not at US nationals, for sure (I was there, and feel that I can comment on it) I was not at Worlds, but you can see the ice coverage in the SD pretty well.

Check out them moving past the signs on the boards in the SD-no spinny little twizzles here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFh0Excv6QU#t=1m0s

They don't have the speed of D&W yet, nor of V&M nor P&B, but the ice coverage is fine in the twizzles.

This didn't show as well in the twizzles in the FD, because they were twizzling almost directly at the camera.

In the SD, they scored the highest in the twizzles of any couple:
    S&S: 7.36
    V&M: 7.29
    P&B: 7.07

No other team broke 7 for the twizzles in the SD.

In the FD, they were not quite as good:

D&W: 7.50
    V&M: 7.36
    P&B: 7.07
    S&S: 7.00
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 06-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.

vCash
    It seems to me that Alex in particular pays attention to the elite male ice dancers that he trains with. He strives for perfection out there with his posture and his movement. I got the feeling that he was determined to out-twizzle Charlie out there this past season! Alex and Maia seemed to just quietly go about their business this season and it showed. Two gorgeous programs that they had perfected by Worlds.

I am in awe, though, every time I watch Meryl and Charlie's twizzles from their FD at Worlds. I've never seen such speed and perfection especially on the second set...their unison was so perfect there it was like one person. It's amazing to see flawless twizzles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    It seems to me that Alex in particular pays attention to the elite male ice dancers that he trains with. He strives for perfection out there with his posture and his movement. I got the feeling that he was determined to out-twizzle Charlie out there this past season! Alex and Maia seemed to just quietly go about their business this season and it showed. Two gorgeous programs that they had perfected by Worlds.
    THIS. And I think that's why this training environment works not just for the top 2 teams but for those "lower down" as well. The Shibs have reaped the rewards of watching and skating with Meryl, Charlie, Tessa, and Scott. There are signs of it in so many aspects of their skating - from the technical side to how Alex presents Maia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I am in awe, though, every time I watch Meryl and Charlie's twizzles from their FD at Worlds. I've never seen such speed and perfection especially on the second set...their unison was so perfect there it was like one person. It's amazing to see flawless twizzles.
    I agree. Their FD twizzles at Worlds were jaw-dropping. I'd been thinking this season that D/W's twizzles had been on the decline, at least in consistency, but they certainly brought it when it counted.

The Shibs are good twizzlers, certainly, but unison isn't all the should be considered. Ice coverage when twizzling makes a difference (easier to notice in person than on tv) and the Shibs still have a way to go in that department, imo.

vCash
    My Prediction for the new season,

New Teams: Madison Chock / Evan Bates
    Piper Gilles / Keiffer Hubble

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast