Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Clearly, S&B need to do Nebelhorn or Finlandia or both this year.
    That'd be helpful as they could get some extra ISU ranking points. That could be helpful in terms of start order if they make it to Worlds, which I think they will if they can pick up where they left off.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I would hope that S/B will get Skate America.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    That'd be helpful as they could get some extra ISU ranking points. That could be helpful in terms of start order if they make it to Worlds, which I think they will if they can pick up where they left off.
    If Chock & Zuerlein, who will definitely get 2 GPs, do well again on them, it may be difficult for S&B to win the spot at Worlds. C&Z were my "Most Improved" team for this season (even more so than Shibs). After all, they just missed the GPF this year after dismal finishes the year before.

The previous GP season, S&B placed 4th and 5th, 9th at Worlds. 11th at Olympics.

vCash
    What is the status of S/B right now? Are they even back skating together?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kates8 View Post
    I believe he is back on the ice; she hasn't really stopped training despite his injury. I have no idea where he is re: regaining all his skills. I wish them all the best. It must have been excruciating to watch the Shibs' crazy impressive run from the sidelines this year.

vCash
    Evan tweeted this morning that it was great to have Meryl and Charlie back on the ice this morning so it sounds like he and Emily are back on the ice as well. Hope he is 100% again!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    If Chock & Zuerlein, who will definitely get 2 GPs, do well again on them, it may be difficult for S&B to win the spot at Worlds. C&Z were my "Most Improved" team for this season (even more so than Shibs). After all, they just missed the GPF this year after dismal finishes the year before.

The previous GP season, S&B placed 4th and 5th, 9th at Worlds. 11th at Olympics.
    While I think that C/Z's FD suited them (mostly Z) this year, I just am not a fan. I am hoping that S/B can come back and, maybe not this first year but next, regain their position. I really appreciate the Shibs, but I think that S/B have more potential for versatility.

vCash
    I'm so torn-I love all 4 teams! The Shibs are just my favorite team ATM. But I love D/W and S/B and C/Z.

I think S/B and C/Z will be in gridlock for the third spot.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I love all the teams.

I think Lynn & Logan are also in the mix for the third spot. I was totally impressed with them in Greensboro.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I think Lynn & Logan are also in the mix for the third spot. I was totally impressed with them in Greensboro.
    God, I hope so. Lynn and Logan should be getting 2 GPs this year, correct? I hope if they get some decent scores this fall they'll be in contention for the third spot. That's their only chance though, I think, at the top 3. I am so against this monopoly Marina/Igor have over the top US dance spots.

vCash
    If you count some of the other teams, ice dancing starts to look like Michigan's primary industry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    If you count some of the other teams, ice dancing starts to look like Michigan's primary industry.
    Yes, they should have put D/W in that Detroit Superbowl commercial.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    It was posted in the Splits thread in GSD last night that Collin Brubaker has listed himself on icepartnearch (Rachel Tibbetts/Brubaker were 8th in their Senior debut at Nationals and competed at Skate Canada last fall).

vCash
    While I think that C/Z's FD suited them (mostly Z) this year, I just am not a fan. I am hoping that S/B can come back and, maybe not this first year but next, regain their position. I really appreciate the Shibs, but I think that S/B have more potential for versatility.
    This pretty well sums up my views, as well. I think C/Z have a raggedyness that puts them well below the Shibs and S/B.

I'm guessing we will see a little drop this year for the Shibs. While the judges responded to their basic skating quality, I think their World bronze has set off alarm bells all over the place, and the other federations with contenders will be lobbying hard and heavy against them next year. Canada will not like our #2 placing ahead of their #2, Faella-Scali will be back, Pechelat-B will likely not have another 7 point error, and the Russians will be pushing to get somebody close to the podium. So, unless the judges are ready to dump D-W, I think the other US teams will do well to finish 5th.

I also think being a brother-sister team and esp with Maia being so young, the Shibs will have a hard time doing a credible rhumba-Latin feeling short dance. There could hardly have been a worse SD tempo for them (except possibly tango).

I don't know where that leaves Samuelson-Bates. I don't think the world will stand for 3 US teams in the top 5 or 6 and I don't know if they will be able to move back above the Shibs. Over all, I find them much more entertaining to watch, though. Emily has the best toe point in ice dance and they are both natural performers.
    Last edited by Susan M; 05-21-2011 at 07:48 AM.

vCash
    Yeah, it's going to be interesting whether Samuelson/Bates or Chock/Zuerlein get the third spot (considering Lynn/Logan as a dark horse too). I couldn't call it.

I agree that the Shibutanis will probably drop a couple of places. They're a good team but it's obvious that they would have been beaten by Pechalat/Bourzat if P/B hadn't fallen, and Faiella/Scali will be back too, probably finishing ahead of them in the world unless they skate badly like at the 2010 Euros.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kates8 View Post
    Samuelson/Bates are scheduled to perform at "Skate for Hope" on June 18 in Columbus, Ohio: http://www.skateforhope.org/site/Pag...ame=Headliners

vCash
    Well if these other teams have a problem with the Shibs beating them then they better skate better because i don't think the Shibs are going away for awhile and they have age on their side over these other teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I also think being a brother-sister team and esp with Maia being so young, the Shibs will have a hard time doing a credible rhumba-Latin feeling short dance. There could hardly have been a worse SD tempo for them (except possibly tango).
    I don't know about that. Several years ago at Lake Placid, I saw the Shibs do a Paso Doble. Maia, despite being tiny, really had the attitude down and completely projected it. I realize that Rhumba is more romantic but several teams on Dancing with the Stars have done Rhumbas that are less passionate, think Cheryl and Chris Jericho's Rhumba dedicated to his late mother. If the Shibs do something in that vein it might work.

vCash
    Rhumba ??? ROMANTIC ???????????????????????????
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    The ice dance version of the rhumba is nothing like the floor/dancesport rhumba. The ice dance one is knd of perky and moves quickly. So the sibling squick factor wouldn't be an issue for this CD/SD.

ETA: link of Meryl & Charlie doing the rhumba CD back in 2007.
    Last edited by Capella; 05-24-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast