Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Is there no way for skaters around the federation not giving permission? It seems horribly unfair, especially in a sport in which they can't compete unless they are representing a member federation.
    I believe that after 2 seasons have elapsed, the skaters can appeal directly to the ISU and they have to be released. I'm not sure of the details but it is something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Is there no way for skaters around the federation not giving permission?
    IIRC, having citizenship in the country to which you're switching gets you around being released.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taz'smum View Post
    I believe that after 2 seasons have elapsed, the skaters can appeal directly to the ISU and they have to be released. I'm not sure of the details but it is something like that.
    That's what I thought, but then the ISU regulations confused me. If that's the case, both Evan and Emily are halfway there, if they wish to skate for another country.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    IIRC, having citizenship in the country to which you're switching gets you around being released.
    This I actually knew, from the Dube-Davison split...

I'm curious to see if any of the currently partner-less US dancers will team up with anyone in time to compete - at least at the national level.

vCash
    I mean, if either can't find an American partner, it would be a shame for them to be unable to compete anymore.
    I think they'd be nuts to even think about a partner with whom they could not go to the 2014 Olympics. For Samuelson & Bates, skating at Nationals and GP events is not enough of a goal, and even another top 10 at Worlds would be a bit anti-climactic. Unless they already hold dual citizenship somewhere, they need to either find a US partner or retire.

Either way, I honestly don't see either of them improving their competitive position by moving to another partner.

When I first heard the rumblings, I had guessed maybe Evan was done with skating after a year of living with nonskaters and doing college full time. I was surprised to read he was looking for a new partner. I guess he'll pretty much have his pick of Madisons.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    FYI, a separate Samuelson/Bates split discussion thread was created in GSD earlier today (with the Detroit Free Press article link, originally posted here, as the source): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79258

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The Chesapeake Open club competition in Laurel, Maryland will have Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice and Junior dance events June 24-25, 2011.
    Just a reminder that this competition takes place this weekend and that there is an event discussion thread in the Kiss and Cry forum (open to all until July 1st when the Season Pass subscription usually kicks in): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79157

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Current Known Status of Teams from 2011 US Nationals:

* = currently listed on icepartnersearch.com

1 Meryl Davis/Charlie White (W1)
    2 Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (W3)
    3 Madison Chock/Greg Zuerlein (W9) - split; he has retired
    4 Madison Hubbell/Keiffer Hubbell - split
    5 Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt
    6 Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello
    7 Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan
    8 Rachel Tibbetts/Collin Brubaker* - split
    9 Meredith Zuber/Kyle Herring
    10 Ginna Hoptman/Pavel Filchenkov
    11 *Alissandra Aronow/Zachary Donohue - split
    12 Kristen Nardozzi/Robert Cuthbertson
    13 Katharine Zeigler/Baxter Burbank - split
    14 *Alison Carey/Ryan Van Natten* - split
    15 Katherine Pilgrim/Alexander Lorello
    Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates - split

Moving up to Senior/registered for Lake Placid IDC:
    J1 Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely (JW3)
    J3 Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (JW7)
    J4 Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan
    J11 Carina Glastris/Kevin Allison
    N6 Brittany Schmucker/Adam Munday
    Janine Halstead/Robert Knopf

New partnership in Senior:
    Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue

Reportedly looking for a partner and not listed on IPS.com:
    Evan Bates, Madison Chock, Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson

Listed on IPS.com:
    Collin Brubaker, Ryan Van Natten
    Alissandra Aronow, Piper Gilles, Alison Carey
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-23-2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: to add in Zeigler/Burbank split info (see another_sk8rmom's post below)

vCash
    Katherine Zeigler / Baxter Burbank have split. Haven't heard if either of them are looking for new partners but Baxter has been doing some coaching at Phila. Skating Club. He's also involved with a power skating and hockey skills camp this summer.

http://files.leagueathletics.com/Ima...rogramCamp.pdf

vCash
    WTF is going on in US ice dancing? We went from having perhaps the most depth in the world to just two quality teams now. This is suppose to happen in Pairs not ice dancing.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks, another_sk8rmom. I've edited in your info.

I think we have more than just "two quality teams" left...

vCash
    I wonder what TAT would have to say about all of this off season drama?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by another sk8rmom View Post
    Katherine Zeigler / Baxter Burbank have split. Haven't heard if either of them are looking for new partners but Baxter has been doing some coaching at Phila. Skating Club. He's also involved with a power skating and hockey skills camp this summer.
    Good luck to both of them in whatever they decide to do next. They both seem like really great people. I've been to PSCHS's Challenge Cup the past few years where they've skated and I've overheard parents talking about how great they are with the younger skaters who seem to really look up to them. They had lots of kids cheering for them which was cute.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by another sk8rmom View Post

http://files.leagueathletics.com/Ima...rogramCamp.pdf
    Oh man. Now there'll be no good names left in skating. Baxter Burbank should become a private eye, or an actor, or a spy. Or something that demands an awesome name like Baxter Burbank.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Current Known Status of Teams from 2011 US Nationals:

* = currently listed on icepartnersearch.com

1 Meryl Davis/Charlie White (W1)
    2 Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (W3)
    3 Madison Chock/Greg Zuerlein (W9) - split; he has retired
    4 Madison Hubbell/Keiffer Hubbell - split
    5 Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt
    6 Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello
    7 Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan
    8 Rachel Tibbetts/Collin Brubaker* - split
    9 Meredith Zuber/Kyle Herring
    10 Ginna Hoptman/Pavel Filchenkov
    11 *Alissandra Aronow/Zachary Donohue - split
    12 Kristen Nardozzi/Robert Cuthbertson
    13 Katharine Zeigler/Baxter Burbank - split
    14 *Alison Carey/Ryan Van Natten* - split
    15 Katherine Pilgrim/Alexander Lorello
    Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates - split

Moving up to Senior/registered for Lake Placid IDC:
    J1 Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely (JW3)
    J3 Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (JW7)
    J4 Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan
    J11 Carina Glastris/Kevin Allison
    N6 Brittany Schmucker/Adam Munday
    Janine Halstead/Robert Knopf

New partnership in Senior:
    Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue

Reportedly looking for a partner and not listed on IPS.com:
    Evan Bates, Madison Chock, Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson

Listed on IPS.com:
    Collin Brubaker, Ryan Van Natten
    Alissandra Aronow, Piper Gilles, Alison Carey
    With all the breakups of US teams, how does it look for US in the GP season? Still two openings for SA, but who will fill those? Will C/B be given an assignment? W/M? H/D (new team, but both have have had international success w/other partner)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer2 View Post
    With all the breakups of US teams, how does it look for US in the GP season? Still two openings for SA, but who will fill those? Will C/B be given an assignment? W/M? H/D (new team, but both have have had international success w/other partner)?
    The open spots in SA, as well as spots in Senior B's and JGPs, will be given after the Lake Placid dance comp, which is the monitoring comp for ice dance. In the past, there has been 1 spot at SA left open and then given to the highest-placing Senior team at LP not already assigned to 2 GPs. Last year, Lynn/Logan got it. W/M and H/D could get one/both, depending on how they skate, and Lynn/Logan would also be eligible b/c they only have 1 GP assignment at the moment. W/M and H/D would have to go to a Senior B (Nebelhorn?) first, though, to earn the qualifying score as they have no int'l scores from the past 2 seasons. Scores with previous partners don't count.

With 2 open spots this year, things could be done differently. I suppose USFS could keep one spot open and assign it later (so if C/B don't compete in LP, they could compete/exhibit at a local comp and be monitored there...but would also need to go to a Senior B first).

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer2 View Post
    Link to what I posted about the dance possibilities in the "TBA Spots at Skate America" thread in GSD (before Chock/Bates officially were announced as a new team): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...85#post3222285
    (pretty muching echoing what Debbie S posted above )

Link to ice-dance.com's "2011 Off-Season Report" dated 6/28 that summarizes the major dance splits (not just the US teams): http://www.ice-dance.com/news-a-arti...-season-report

Link to blogs by Isabella Cannuscio and Colin McManus: http://www.ice-dance.com/bella-a-colin-blog
    As we were sitting in Starbucks amongst the regular college hustle and bustle, an idea struck us: "Why is Alex Shibutani so gosh darn perfect?!" When you think about it, he's like Midas, everything he touches turns to gold. Well maybe not literally, but from on-the-ice, to tweeting, to his icenetwork.com blogs, it seems as though Mr. Shibutani can do no wrong. It's time that someone beat him at something, so here's where we come in -- with our official "Alex Shibutani Throwdown Blog."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-07-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Isabella Cannuscio and Colin McManus blogged about their experience at the first Chesapeake Dance camp/seminar (following the Chesapeake Open competition) that was held in late June -- Belbin/White seem to have been quite a hit : http://www.ice-dance.com/bella-a-col...ake-dance-camp
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here are some Belbin and White photos from the USFS Dance Seminar following the Chesapeake Open: http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...eDanceSeminar/

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia for the link. So cool to see Charlie especially since it seems like only yesterday he was a young one and now he's the mature World Champ!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    sorry, wrong thread.

vCash
    Picture of Madison Hubbell/Zach Donohue posted on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

late party nite!!
    Last edited by hockeyplayer2; 07-17-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: name error

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast