Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    Unofficial, old news, but saw that it hadn't really been brought up yet: Poapst/ Knierim are no longer together.
    he seems to quit partners so often

vCash
    I don't think he's ever quit a partner. Carmen together 3 seasons, Alba 1, Poapst 2.
    All these girls either did not like pairs, refused to train in CS, or had skating mom's involved the last one bares repeating.... Knierim skates is a full-time college student and works to pay for skating he is a mechanic and he is based in CS and so is his longtime coach Sappenfield.
    I have it on good knowledge that:
    Poapst demanded to train with Peter in LA and told Knierim he needed to move with her or else.
    He seemed to have choosen the "or else" route
    Last edited by oldskoolsk8tr; 04-28-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add sad face

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    I am not saying Mark doesn't have his work cut out for him and I wish E/L would have bowed out together, but he wanted to make a run at Sochi and Amanda didn't. It's his choice and, in Lindsay's defense, she came in very prepared for the tryout and was in shape and ready to make this partnership work. I have honestly never been a big fan of her skating, and did think Themi was quite a good pair skater, but I think if anyone can pull her together it's Mark and his experience plus the experience of their coaching team. After the top two, it's really anyone's game. I think Donlan/Speroff are good, but lack the jumping ability and are inconsistent on their throws. Marissa and Simon having been just waiting to breakthrough these last couple of years, but have yet to pull it all together at Nationals, and Felicia/Nate were so solid at Nationals this year that I only see them moving up and possibly breaking through to the final group. So many teams have broken up that I could see Mark's "why not?" approach. If he's willing to make the commitment then good for him and kudos to Amanda for being honest and saying she wasn't up for another year. I am going to say now that I doubt Caitlyn/Josh are going to be coming out the gate swinging the way Caydee/John did. Caydee/John are just far more consistent skaters and Caitlyn has been out of the game for a year, but best of luck to all! I am excited about these new teams.
    Good Analysis.

I would say that your opinion re D/C vs. Y/R is one of the first I've read on the Board. For all the dislike she gets, Caydee is a cat on the ice and it really helped them come together as a team in time for the season. Caitlin is beautiful to watch, but she is not quite as solid on jumps and throws (For the record, I still hope Y/R rock the coming season). Then again, if she is skating with someone she enjoys being with (like John does), then Y/R may do quite well. For that reason, it will be very interesting to watch the pairs events at the Summer comps (when is the 1st one, BTW???).

Everyone will have to watch out for M/B as they continue to improve and get comfortable with one another. They are also to be considered a new team and if they up the ante. They could be #1.

If D/S ever get their SBS jumps together, they will be a force to be reckoned with for #1 (I also hope they do that. It's their only glaring flaw).

Regarding D/L, I'll have to wait and see how they gel and how they are received by judges. Mark is trading in Amanda's polish (not saying Lindsay is not polished, just Amanda was more so) for Lindsay's more consistent jumping ability. What will get more points?

*Sigh* I don't know about C/S. Time is ticking away on this partnership. He just can't jump to save his life, and they insist on that darn throw 3x! His problem with the jumps is chronic and who knows if it can be fixed.

vCash
    D/C are definitely the most consistent out of all of the US pair teams, and that is what keeps them ahead. Only time wil tell if they can work on the esthetics of their skating, both need work on their line, position and posture, if they ever want to be a top world team.

M/B have much more potential than D/C, but they need time, more than two years I would think to be a top team in the world. As long as they continue to skate to programs like their s/p they will do quite well but until Mary Beth matures, some programs may be out of their depth, not necessarily due to skating skills!

D/S, imo have the most potential to be an international force. IF and only IF, they can become more consistent with their jumps. Their lifts, throws, twist and overall appearance on the ice is top notch. One can only hope that they are spending the off season re-working Gretchens jumping technique and getting any additional help they can in this area. Speroff seems to be more consistent in the jumps area from what I can tell.

Y/R, not entirely sure about them yet, I think they will be beautiful, but I think people tend to forget that Yankowskas was not consistent with either her jumps or the throws. Beyond that she is lovely on the ice. Reagan on the other hand will need to work hard on his line and posture to match hers.

D/L, not sure what to say about them, I have only seen her skate a couple of times.
    Last edited by hippychick; 04-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    If Takahasi/Tran can make it to the WORLD PODIUM without any sbs jumping consistency, I think USFS should put a lot more eggs in the Donlan/Speroff basket. If they don't at least get Skate America this year (yes, I know summer competitions matter), I'll be pissed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If Takahasi/Tran can make it to the WORLD PODIUM without any sbs jumping consistency, I think USFS should put a lot more eggs in the Donlan/Speroff basket. If they don't at least get Skate America this year (yes, I know summer competitions matter), I'll be pissed.
    I agree! If they don't get Skate America after their performance at Nationals this year it would be a real shame. I wonder if they could skate for another country? IMO if they need to get out internationally to really prove themselves.

vCash
    From 2001-2012, the pairs pewter medalists at Nationals and the following fall's assignments

01- Kalesavich/Parchem- 2 GP events the next season
    02- Inoue/Baldwin- 2 GP events the next season
    03- Spielberg/Joeright- 2 GP events the next season
    04- Don/Hunt- 2 GP events the next season
    05- Scott/Dulebohn- split before the next season
    06- Scott/Fein- split/retired before the next season
    07- Evora/Ladwig- 1 GP and Nebelhorn
    08- Vise/Trent- 2 GP events
    09- Evora/Ladwig- 2 GP events
    10- Castile/Okolski- retired before the next season
    11- Marley/Brubaker- 1 GP event and Coupe de Nice

So I'd say the chances are pretty good for Donlan/Speroff to get at least 1 GP

vCash
    I personally would like to see Donlan/Speroff get an opportunity at Skate America, but keep in mind that USFS doesn't always go by Nationals placement order when it comes to making their Skate America host picks. For example, Armin Mahbanoozadeh (6th at 2011 Nationals) and Doug Razzano (10th) ended up at Skate America this season; Keegan Messing (8th) did not.

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    For that reason, it will be very interesting to watch the pairs events at the Summer comps (when is the 1st one, BTW???).
    Some of the Broadmoor SC pair teams often will debut a short program at Broadmoor Open (June 20-23 this year), but the bigger name pairs usually will show up at Liberty (July 17-20, 2012) or Skate Detroit (July 24-28) before Indy Challenge (August 3-5).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-28-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    since Donlan and Speroff do not have any international points to speak of if they do not go to Skate America, they will not go to a Senior Grand Prix at all. I am pretty sure the only way for them to get one would be for them to go to Skate America first.
    Last edited by hippychick; 04-29-2012 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Lindsay is the 2010 junior ladies bronze medalist. She's a good jumper landing 3T, 3S, 3L, 2A-2A. That is great for pairs. http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html
    But from the link, it looks like Lindsay came in 5th in the sp, and 4th in the fp. I don't see a link to overall results. Did someone ahead of her drop precipitously in the fp, allowing Lindsay to come in 3rd??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    But from the link, it looks like Lindsay came in 5th in the sp, and 4th in the fp. I don't see a link to overall results.
    Click on the Junior Ladies link for the overall results: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...40/CAT005.html

IIRC, Davis' best/more consistent jumps are from edge takeoffs -- 2A, 3S, 3Lo.

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick View Post
    since Donlan and Speroff fo not have any international points to speak of if they do not go to Skate America, they will not go to a Senior Grand Prix at all. I am pretty sure the only way for them to get one would be for them to go to Skate America first.
    Correct, as a host pick. Their only international was 2 years ago at 2010 Nebelhorn Trophy (4th place).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-28-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    But from the link, it looks like Lindsay came in 5th in the sp, and 4th in the fp. I don't see a link to overall results. Did someone ahead of her drop precipitously in the fp, allowing Lindsay to come in 3rd??
    Yes, that competition (especially the free skate) was a complete splatfest, aside from Zawadzki. Baga (2nd after the short) especially bombed the free skate. Nina Jiang also had a big move from 11th in the short to 3rd in a free (and this was with only two types of triples) and 5th overall. You can see the full rankings here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Un..._Championships

vCash
    ^^ Thanks Stephanie for the link to overall results from Junior Ladies 2010 --

Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    I believe that is correct. But she is certainly not as 'slight' as Amanda so it make take a bit of time to adjust. I admire the Florida (and Colorado, obviously) programs of training and I hope they are successful. Pairs should be very interesting this year with all these new partnerships. I am excited to see the new teams of O'shea/Kayne and Regan/Yanakowskas plus the improvement of Zhang/Bartholomey and Donlan/Speroff.
    Definitely! But can we hope that these new pairings will form together decisively with full dedication, and with the willingness to overcome all challenges w/o giving up after a season or two for one reason or another? Might it be helpful if the upcoming Pairs Champs Camp recruited Tai, Randy and Mr. Nicks to give a seminar/ tips on How to Stay Together as a U.S. Pairs Team Through Thick and Thin?

vCash
    I don't think the only key to success for pairs is to "stay together through thick and thin." That's too simplistic.

vCash
    Yes, that proposed "seminar" title leaves a lot to be desired. Definitely it will take a lot more than just that, of course, especially in the completely different landscape that is figure skating today. Tai and Randy grew up in an era I suppose in which the spotlight and fan buzz (lack of Internet, etc) plus the structure and expectations/ pressures were all quite different than today. Still there is something indefinable that Tai, Randy and Mr. Nicks might be able to impart to these teams.

Thanks haribobo for your statistical rundown on GP assignments. And, thanks olympic, hippychick, and carriemarie for your interesting analyses.

BTW, Sylvia, can you provide an updated list of all the senior U.S. pairs teams? Thanks!

vCash
    BTW, Sylvia, can you provide an updated list of all the senior U.S. pairs teams? Thanks!
    So far: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=932

ETA: Kloe Bautista/Tyler Harris (12th in Sr Pairs at 2012 Nationals; official site link) are now representing the Philippines; Rita Fehr/Peter Biver (13th) are still skating together as of now, at least in shows.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.

vCash
    Yes, that proposed "seminar" title leaves a lot to be desired. Definitely it will take a lot more than just that, of course, especially in the completely different landscape that is figure skating today. Tai and Randy grew up in an era I suppose in which the spotlight and fan buzz (lack of Internet, etc) plus the structure and expectations/ pressures were all quite different than today. Still there is something indefinable that Tai, Randy and Mr. Nicks might be able to impart to these teams.

Thanks haribobo for your statistical rundown on GP assignments. And, thanks olympic, hippychick, and carriemarie for your interesting analyses.

She did earlier in this thread.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=932

vCash
    Okay, thanks Sylvia and shan...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Good Analysis.

I would say that your opinion re D/C vs. Y/R is one of the first I've read on the Board. For all the dislike she gets, Caydee is a cat on the ice and it really helped them come together as a team in time for the season. Caitlin is beautiful to watch, but she is not quite as solid on jumps and throws (For the record, I still hope Y/R rock the coming season). Then again, if she is skating with someone she enjoys being with (like John does), then Y/R may do quite well. For that reason, it will be very interesting to watch the pairs events at the Summer comps (when is the 1st one, BTW???).

Everyone will have to watch out for M/B as they continue to improve and get comfortable with one another. They are also to be considered a new team and if they up the ante. They could be #1.

If D/S ever get their SBS jumps together, they will be a force to be reckoned with for #1 (I also hope they do that. It's their only glaring flaw).

Regarding D/L, I'll have to wait and see how they gel and how they are received by judges. Mark is trading in Amanda's polish (not saying Lindsay is not polished, just Amanda was more so) for Lindsay's more consistent jumping ability. What will get more points?

*Sigh* I don't know about C/S. Time is ticking away on this partnership. He just can't jump to save his life, and they insist on that darn throw 3x! His problem with the jumps is chronic and who knows if it can be fixed.
    Re: C/S-I would pull the triple axel for now and get more consistent on the sbs and perform throws they can do everytime. I think it will build their confidence and help them put together a breakthrough performance. They don't need a throw 3xl at Nationals to pull to the podium. They have lovely moves and great lifts. Have a year of decent Gp placements and a good Nationals placement and throw it in for Sochi. JMO, of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Click on the Junior Ladies link for the overall results: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...40/CAT005.html

IIRC, Davis' best/more consistent jumps are from edge takeoffs -- 2A, 3S, 3Lo.

Correct, as a host pick. Their only international was 2 years ago at 2010 Nebelhorn Trophy (4th place).
    If I am getting this correctly, D/S will get the host pick and M/B and C/D being the other choices? Or would they spread the wealth with C/S getting SA. What pair teams are currently eligible for GP's? Depending on Summer comps isn't there a chance that Z/B, who have moved up in the rankings due to breakups, L/D, or R/Y could get the host pick? I would assume Z/B would get Nebelhorn, but maybe D/S would to get more points? I mean forgive me, as I don't follow GP points standing very well, but wouldn't Denney and Frazier be eligible for a SGP, as well?

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast