Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    He may have still been married to Usova but he was going with Grishuk when he started with Navka. He was still skating with Usova, who subsequently dumped him to skate with Grishuk's partner Platov, leaving Grishuk with 2 Olympic gold medals, no professional career, and no boyfriend.

Grishuk and Zhulin did try competing against Usova and Platov at Landover but came in second to them, which pissed off Grishuk to no end. I don't believe they skated together after that.

And to think today's skaters talk about the emotional toll of Olympic competition!
    When it comes to ice dance, I "imprinted" on U/Z, and they are still my all-time favorites out of all four disciplines, so I knew all of that. I left off the Grishuk stuff in my earlier reply for the sake of brevity.

From the various things I've read, there was the infamous Grishuk affair. Navka and Zhulin happened after Dubova moved her training camp to Lake Placid. Navka was skating with Gezailan (sp?) at the time and also being coached by Dubova.

Speaking of today's skaters, whenever a successful team claims they can't stay together because of their off-ice relationship, etc., I feel like they need to review just how long U/Z stuck it out for the sake of their professional partnership. If they can do it, anyone can...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Michelle Kwan.
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Purple
    Junior Mints.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    I hope not! Zhulin is already re-married to Natalya Mikhailova, isn't he?
    Oh well, I can't keep up. I thought he and Navka were the perfect pair. Cheating made them feel important.

I wonder though if it didn't cost Zhulin Olympic gold. He and Grishuk were so brazen about their affair and so oblivious to Usova's public angst. It had to affect Grishuk's performance positively and Usova's negatively.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Oh well, I can't keep up. I thought he and Navka were the perfect pair. Cheating made them feel important.

I wonder though if it didn't cost Zhulin Olympic gold. He and Grishuk were so brazen about their affair and so oblivious to Usova's public angst. It had to affect Grishuk's performance positively and Usova's negatively.
    There was a Russian article I found more than a few years back. What I gathered from the babelfish translation, Zhulin also had a groin injury that year that seriously cut into their preparation time. The emotional stuff might have factored in, but I'd be willing to bet the injury had a bigger impact, and although I liked it, their program choice. (That said, I still maintain if the judges were going to deduct for T/D's lift, then they should have made ALL the appropriate deductions for G/P's over-long separations, and that U/Z should have had gold because of that. Otherwise, if they were going to ignore the G/P's separations, then T/D's lift should have been ignored as well).

To get back on topic, I'm hoping this thing about Ando marrying Morozov is not true. I think she deserves better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    There was a Russian article I found more than a few years back. What I gathered from the babelfish translation, Zhulin also had a groin injury that year that seriously cut into their preparation time. The emotional stuff might have factored in, but I'd be willing to bet the injury had a bigger impact, and although I liked it, their program choice. (That said, I still maintain if the judges were going to deduct for T/D's lift, then they should have made ALL the appropriate deductions for G/P's over-long separations, and that U/Z should have had gold because of that. Otherwise, if they were going to ignore the G/P's separations, then T/D's lift should have been ignored as well).

To get back on topic, I'm hoping this thing about Ando marrying Morozov is not true. I think she deserves better.
    AFAIK, U/Z only started in Nov the year before the Olys because of his injury, that was a disaster. Piseev asked them to come to Moscow to get the prgs monitored and they refused, that was the end of olympic Gold hope, because the Russian Fed then switched to G/P. Strangely enough, even without Russia, U/Z nearly won the Gold in Hamar, they were off by 0.1 from one judge. The interesting part is that the ex Soviet satellite judges particularly, UKR and BLR stayed with them and didnt vote for G/P, thats something that never ever happened back then. Painfully close...

Yes their free was by far the worst of their career but no where near as heinous as G/P's rock n' roll, which was so vile. Another tidbid I remember is one judge (dont remember which now) who put G/P 1st, saying that she watched G/P's free dance again after and realised they didnt do much with their feet and thought the prog wasnt that good after all

vCash
    I'd view it with scepticism. I googled for both Miki and Nikolai, and none of the news section mentioned marriage.

vCash
    Is this the continuation of the Russian Plague?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Maybe Morozov likes girls with big boobs?
    Shae-Lynn Bourne and Elena Grushina would have to disagree with you.

If indeed they get married I wish them all the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Purple
    OMG that was my first thought too!!!

But seriously ......
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIVER View Post
    AFAIK, U/Z only started in Nov the year before the Olys because of his injury, that was a disaster. Piseev asked them to come to Moscow to get the prgs monitored and they refused, that was the end of olympic Gold hope, because the Russian Fed then switched to G/P. Strangely enough, even without Russia, U/Z nearly won the Gold in Hamar, they were off by 0.1 from one judge. The interesting part is that the ex Soviet satellite judges particularly, UKR and BLR stayed with them and didnt vote for G/P, thats something that never ever happened back then. Painfully close...

Yes their free was by far the worst of their career but no where near as heinous as G/P's rock n' roll, which was so vile. Another tidbid I remember is one judge (dont remember which now) who put G/P 1st, saying that she watched G/P's free dance again after and realised they didnt do much with their feet and thought the prog wasnt that good after all
    Sigh...thanks for all that, I figured there were a bunch of women on the panel who wanted to punish the lout. Interesting intra-Russian rivalries in both pairs and dance in '94.

But ultimately, didn't the affair cause Dubova to exile G/P? This brought them to Tarasova, and then TAT worked her politicial magic.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    But ultimately, didn't the affair cause Dubova to exile G/P? This brought them to Tarasova, and then TAT worked her politicial magic.
    Actually it brought them to Linichuk, who had them for years before TAT did.

vCash
    Ok, I'm going to skip reading everything and make a guess as to what's been said?

EWW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    EEWWWWW!
    No lie, but when I read the title of this thread I had the exact same reaction you and victoriaheidi did AxelAnnie.

vCash
    I wish she would get away , but I don't know if she will, now.

I think he's been acting as creepy with Amodio in the K'nC , as he has with Miki for the last few years......( it's most noticeable if you get to watch the livefeed )

vCash
    Let's say Ando and Morozov are getting married.
    It would be odd that Ando had been crying for personal reasons for the entire week worlds took place, considering she was in love and soon to be wife.
    You'd think that would cheer her up a little, whatever she was crying for.

vCash
    In Japan, they cry.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    In Japan, they cry.
    And in countries around the world, people cry when their favorite skaters go to Morozov

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    And in countries around the world, people cry when their favorite skaters go to Morozov
    Zillion depression
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    In Japan, they cry.
    OMG! I cry, does that mean I'm Japanese??

after all these years...good to know
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Well, if her dog died during Worlds, that would explain the crying.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast