Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    Interesting, I was taught that since I'm left-handed I should skate clockwise and I learned jumps that way.
    But then, I find much more easy to spin counterclockwise and so I always felt a mess, doing partly clockwise and partly counter! Now, since my left knee has some problems, I'm trying to re-learn all the jumps counterclockwise
    I've heard a lo of people saying that it's related to the hand dominance, but IMO it's a total different thing because the hand dominance is due to which cerebral emisphere you use for writing (right for left handed and left for right handed, but it can be reversed sometimes), while I think the jumping/spinning direction is due to your muscolar strength. Everyone has a dominant (stronger) side of the body, so if your strongest side is the right one you should jump/spin counterclockwise.
    For example, when I was taught high jump at school our teacher didn't tell us to jump from the right if we were right handed etc, but she told us to try to jump with both legs to feel which one was stronger. I am right handed but I used to jump from the left.

vCash
    I don't skate but clockwise spinning motion feels much more natural for me. I have no idea why, it just does.

vCash
    At dance weekends, we usually try the European Waltz in the CW direction, talk about kicking a CCW skater's butt!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I saw Stéphane Lambiel warm-up backstage last weekend at "Opera on Ice" and he did off-ice doube axels in both directions. Someone later told me he can do 2axels and 3salchows clockwise on the ice too. His clockwise 2axels looked so easy, it was as if he had always jumped that way!

vCash
    Two more CW ladies - Karen Magnussen and Alexandra Najarro

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    I've heard a lo of people saying that it's related to the hand dominance, but IMO it's a total different thing because the hand dominance is due to which cerebral emisphere you use for writing (right for left handed and left for right handed, but it can be reversed sometimes), while I think the jumping/spinning direction is due to your muscolar strength. Everyone has a dominant (stronger) side of the body, so if your strongest side is the right one you should jump/spin counterclockwise.
    For example, when I was taught high jump at school our teacher didn't tell us to jump from the right if we were right handed etc, but she told us to try to jump with both legs to feel which one was stronger. I am right handed but I used to jump from the left.
    Yes. Both the fella I do a bit of pair skating with and I are right handed and CW, but stronger on the left side. This is not so weird apparently: http://www.supinationwatsu.com/artic...dDominance.pdf
    Cutting and writing with different hands is often observed in children who prefer the opposite hand for sports activities. This is not considered abnormal, but rather one side has developed greater strength (and that hand is used for coloring, ball throwing, etc.) and the other hand has developed greater fine motor control/dexterity (used for writing/cutting). If a child uses one hand consistently for certain tasks, and the other consistently for other kinds of tasks, this is called crossed dominance (when a child constantly switches hands and uses either hand for similar tasks, that is indicative of not having an established hand dominance). The literature suggests that crossed dominance is common and is not necessarily indicative of a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    At dance weekends, we usually try the European Waltz in the CW direction, talk about kicking a CCW skater's butt!
    That's how we poor CW skaters feel all the time in dance. I am dreading the European Waltz. Here in Canada we have the option to substitute a "creative dance" for one dance in the test level that includes the European. My dance test partner has suggested I consider this.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Everyone has a dominant (stronger) side of the body, so if your strongest side is the right one you should jump/spin counterclockwise.
    I agree, but apparently my body still haven't decided which is the stronger part!
    with high jump I did it both ways, and without any big differences (and so in many other sports). I guess my left part is stronger (so clockwise) but I'm sort of more coordinated with counterclockwise spins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    I agree, but apparently my body still haven't decided which is the stronger part!
    with high jump I did it both ways, and without any big differences (and so in many other sports). I guess my left part is stronger (so clockwise) but I'm sort of more coordinated with counterclockwise spins.
    It also depends on whether your dominant upper limb is the same as your dominant lower limb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I don't skate but clockwise spinning motion feels much more natural for me. I have no idea why, it just does.
    When I first started skating, I found the clockwise spinning more natural, but later it was pretty clear that it was not the correct direction for me, because I could not jump in that direction; so now it is the opposite. I always attributed that to my being right handed, but may be that's not true of everyone.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am right handed but have always naturally jumped clockwise. Ready for a twist, I prefer to spin counter clockwise. Does that make me bipolar in the skating world?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12