Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

clockwise jumpers

All,

Which ladies do we have jumping clockwise these days aside from Alissa?

vCash
    Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner and Viktoria Helgesson are the only ones I can think of.

Oh, there is also Kristine Musademba, but I don't know if she's still competing. Sarah Hughes was also a clockwise jumper.
    Last edited by MikiAndoFan#1; 05-11-2011 at 08:59 PM.

vCash
    Sarah Hecken is also clockwise jumper right?

vCash
    If we consider pairs, there is Paige Lawrence. She and Rudi Swiegers were lucky to find each other as a match, both being clockwise jumpers.

It's interesting (and at times scary) to watch them on warmup with other teams, who are usually all counterclockwise skaters.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Were clockwise jumpers ever considered "bewitched"?

Alissa and Caro were 1-2 at the GPF.

vCash
    Yrétha Silete is another.

vCash
    Sarah Hughes is already a thing of the past (not one of the current ladies)

However, she and Carolina were the ones that came to my mind first.

vCash
    Denise Biellmann is (yes, IS, as she still skates !)

vCash
    Tiffany Vise

vCash
    Yasmin Siraj!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Were clockwise jumpers ever considered "bewitched"?

Alissa and Caro were 1-2 at the GPF.
    by any chance, are clockwise jumpers left handed? ? we normally do everything backwards with respect to right handers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    by any chance, are clockwise jumpers left handed? ? we normally do everything backwards with respect to right handers.
    Not necessarily. I don't even know how strong the correlation is (though I've certainly been interested in that question!) but based on limited anecdotal evidence it doesn't seem to be that strong. I've heard it theorized that jumping direction is more related to eye dominance. I'm left-handed but jump and spin counterclockwise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    I always thought it was ther right handers that did everything backward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Not necessarily. I don't even know how strong the correlation is (though I've certainly been interested in that question!) but based on limited anecdotal evidence it doesn't seem to be that strong. I've heard it theorized that jumping direction is more related to eye dominance. I'm left-handed but jump and spin counterclockwise.
    Interesting that you are left handed but spin counterclockwise. Since that entails using the right leg for take off and landing one would assume that the right side of the body is stronger or dominant. That' s why the I thought direction of jumps might be related to being left or right handed. the dominant side of the body dictates which leg is "more comfortable" for take off and landing. I am not a skater and thus have no experience of jump direction but I am left handed and play tennis with the left hand, golf with the left hand etc. Probably if I were capable, I would also take off to jump skating from the left leg.

vCash
    There's no correlation between "handedness" and spin/jump direction. I have many southpaw students who spin/jump CCW and a few righties who go CW. In fact, my twin DDs are a lefty that spins CCW and a righty who spins CW.

I've never heard "eye dominance" as a theory. Thanks for the tip.

Back on topic, someone keeps a list of CW skaters!

http://www242.pair.com/amossman/SKATE/cw.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Back on topic, someone keeps a list of CW skaters!

http://www242.pair.com/amossman/SKATE/cw.html
    That's a very old list, it doesn't even have Susanna Pöykiö in it.

vCash
    I don't skate but my natural instinct is for clockwise jumping (landing on left foot). I'm right handed.

vCash
    I am right side dominant but spin cw. I think that's why i can't get a /oop, its too much on the left. I think the cw tendancy is due to dance training where turning (spinning) goes to the right most often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I am right side dominant but spin cw. I think that's why i can't get a /oop, its too much on the left. I think the cw tendancy is due to dance training where turning (spinning) goes to the right most often.
    Yes, exactly, I did a survey/study for a class in school last year about that.

My friend is almost 12, she's taken dance since she was 3, she started skating when she was 8. 5 years of dance before she started skating. She jumps/spins clockwise

Another friend is 13, she's taken dance since she was 4, she started skating when she was almost 5. She didn't even have a full year of dance before she started skating, she spins counter-clockwise because she didn't know which way to turn, and the coach just taught her that way. She can, however, do all her single jumps except axel while jumping clockwise.

So using people I know from skating, I figured out that it's mostly due to how long a person has done dance before they start skating that determines which direction they jump/spin. It can also just be random sometimes. For example, my sister has never taken a dance class in her life, but she spins/jumps clockwise. Also, my mom spins/jumps counter-clockwise, and she took 15 years of dance- but by the time she started skating, she hadn't taken dance in 20 years.

Johnny Weir jumps clockwise... but he doesn't really count, he's not competing anymore. That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned. (:

vCash
    Interesting, I was taught that since I'm left-handed I should skate clockwise and I learned jumps that way.
    But then, I find much more easy to spin counterclockwise and so I always felt a mess, doing partly clockwise and partly counter! Now, since my left knee has some problems, I'm trying to re-learn all the jumps counterclockwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast