vCash

Earthquake in Spain

An earthquake of 5.2 magnitude hit the city Lorca today. Seven people have died so far.

vCash
    My prayers and heart goes out to the victims and hopefully there will be not bad aftershocks. This seems to be a bad couple of years for natural disasters.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Tranquillo
    vCash
    So sorry to hear about the deaths. Are there known earthquake faults in Spain? I don't recall hearing a lot about earthquakes in Spain.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Good question and 5.2 is not very strong so I am guessing this hit an area not prepared and/or it was very near the surface and a populated area.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Has anyone been able to contact sweetsparky?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Has anyone been able to contact sweetsparky?
    I sent her a PM right after learning about this earthquake - she is not in Lurca at the moment and is fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I sent her a PM right after learning about this earthquake - she is not in Lurca at the moment and is fine.
    Thanks MikiAndoFan. That is a relief.

vCash
    I´m fine, thanks for your concern

Murcia Region is a zone usually affected by earthquakes, there is a mediterranean plate (not sure the spelling) that goes through Murcia to Granada, but they aren´t usually very strong (I live in the West Coast of Andalucía and once I woke up cause one that hit Granada province). This has been one of the strongest in almost a century (5.2 level), and very close to a populated area.

I think the time when it happened (5, the first, and almost 7, the second one, in the evening), affected the number of victims, cause a lot of people in the street were hitted by debris coming from the buildings. I feel really sorry for the dead and their families. And Lorca city has suffered lot of damages even if is not like a great number of buildings colapsed.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    (((((((((sweetsparky)))))))))) todo esta bien, ahora! . Glad you and your loved ones are fine.
    Is the death toll still climbing? They must have really old buildings there.

vCash
    Right now the official count is nine person dead and three injured whose lives are in danger. Allegedly nobody has claimed for missing people, so, that I hope, the death toll shouldn´t climb anymore.

Lorca is an old town and some of the houses I saw on TV had a strong 70´s vibe. Right now there are strong rules about antisismic measures for building construction, but the current ones are from 2002 and the previous from 1994, and of course we can count with some frauds (to save money) even in more modern buildings.

The eartquake epicentre was really close to the town, but still the number of dead seems quite high for its level.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    Many earthquakes of note the past few months...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    (((((((((sweetsparky)))))))))) todo esta bien, ahora! . Glad you and your loved ones are fine.
    Is the death toll still climbing? They must have really old buildings there.
    It may also have been a very shallow event, or the ground under the area may have been very soft. I think they need something better than the Richter scale to show earthquake shaking at the surface -- and in the Northridge (CA) quake in 1994 was located maybe 20 miles from Santa Monica, but the Santa Monica area was very hard-hit by the quake even though other areas in between Santa Monica and the epicenter didn't have nearly as much damage. We were told it was because Santa Monica had similar soils to what the Marina district in San Francisco had -- very soft.

Sweetsparky -- very glad you're ok.