Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    5 triples, a major mistake, no triple-triple attemps, mediocre spins, spirals, and artistry, a performance about 55% as good as her own 2007 World title performance, and 65% as good as her 2009 bronze performance, and the gold medal. You find that wonderful and are impressed? OK your choice I guess.

This years Worlds was excellent in 3 of the 4 events, so the worst ladies event in decades was only a minor blip. It might as well have not even existed (and I suspect most fans who saw it have already forgetten it has).
    Sorry, but I enjoyed watching the ladies competition. I was sorry to see Mao make mistakes, and Rachel was an aberration, but I still thought it was a good competition. We will just have to agree to disagree on this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Ladies:
    Maria Butyrskaya (99 world champ, 2000 bronze, and more?)
    Jill Trenary (1990 world champ, 1989 bronze, no Oly medal)
    Can Denise Biellman be included? She won a world title and turned pro. Did she win a world medal before her world title?
    No, Biellmann only had the one world medal. But Elaine Zayak would qualify

82 - world champion
    81 - silver, 84 - bronze, but no oly medal

vCash
    Thank you all! Yeah to be honest I also thought it is more a surprise that Miki won two gold world medals (or three medals) than the fact that she has never won a olympic medal... then looking at the list of other champions without olympic medals, there were no names really surprise me (or most I don't know since I don't follow skating pre 1984olympics I would say) except Kurt. I was quite surprised to see though there are so many 1-time world ladies champions w/o olympic medal, but then they have usually finished 4th-8th, so I think this is not quite a surprise either!!

vCash
    5 triples, a major mistake, no triple-triple attemps, mediocre spins, spirals, and artistry, a performance about 55% as good as her own 2007 World title performance, and 65% as good as her 2009 bronze performance, and the gold medal. You find that wonderful and are impressed? OK your choice I guess.

This years Worlds was excellent in 3 of the 4 events, so the worst ladies event in decades was only a minor blip. It might as well have not even existed (and I suspect most fans who saw it have already forgetten it has).

It is a shame Rochette chose to take this season off. Even she could have won Worlds easily this year, and she wouldnt have had to even better her Vancouver performances.
    You're a very bittah person. Anyway clearly the judges did not find her spins or PCS to be mediocre or they wouldn't have scored her as such. Anyway the only thing worse than her 2007 title were obviously her jumps where as her transitions and just about every other area in the PCS was vastly improved.

vCash
    It is a shame Rochette chose to take this season off. Even she could have won Worlds easily this year, and she wouldnt have had to even better her Vancouver performances.

Easily?

vCash
    Emmerich Danzer 1966, 67 and 68 World champion. 5th in 64 Olympics, 4th in 68 Olympics

vCash
    Tai & Randy - Gold in 79, Bronze in 77 and 78, and no Olympic medal (still makes me sad ...)

vCash
    nm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    You're a very bittah person. Anyway clearly the judges did not find her spins or PCS to be mediocre or they wouldn't have scored her as such. Anyway the only thing worse than her 2007 title were obviously her jumps where as her transitions and just about every other area in the PCS was vastly improved.
    ITA. Miki's spins and spirals in 2007 were a bit , and now, at least in my opinion, they are quite good. Not amazingly beautiful, but good. Anyone who thinks Miki is weak in that department now, should take a look at some of her older performances. There is a BIG improvement.

Also, it's not Miki's fault that no one else skated better than she did. To the poster who complained, in your opinion, who should have won if not her? Yuna who popped open an intended triple, singled the second half of a combination, and skated like she didn't want to be there? Carolina who attempted one 3f and no 3lz, popped open one of her harder triples, and had shaky landings on two other jumps? Alena who skated well from a technical standpoint but who's spins are sloppy, overall skating clunky, and is much weaker from a PCS standpoint than the other ladies in contention? Alissa who fell on her opening jump, sucking the life out of her performance, and had otherwise small, telegraphed, and questionably rotated jumps? Mao who popped one jump and cheated/shakily landed all the others? Come on.

It wasn't a greatly skated ladies FS event, I'll admit that, but Miki deserved to win. The only other person who skated better than she did in the FS was Alena Leonova and we all knew she was never going to get (nor did she deserve to get) the PCS needed to win the title so the only chance she had was if everyone else better than her bombed, which they didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Also, it's not Miki's fault that no one else skated better than she did. To the poster who complained, in your opinion, who should have won if not her? Yuna who popped open an intended triple, singled the second half of a combination, and skated like she didn't want to be there? Carolina who attempted one 3f and no 3lz, popped open one of her harder triples, and had shaky landings on two other jumps? Alena who skated well from a technical standpoint but who's spins are sloppy, overall skating clunky, and is much weaker from a PCS standpoint than the other ladies in contention? Alissa who fell on her opening jump, sucking the life out of her performance, and had otherwise small, telegraphed, and questionably rotated jumps? Mao who popped one jump and cheated/shakily landed all the others?
    So you are basically explaining how the whole event sucked and was embarassingly low quality. Which was my whole point anyway so what is yours exactly other than to just agree with me apparently. I never said anything about whether the result itself was right or wrong, frankly it was about sifting out the nicest looking piece of turd in the pile, and I am happy to leave that to do the judges as I wouldnt want to watch any of those performances (other than maybe Kostner's which was beautiful but didnt have the content to win) again. Like I said Yu Na's Olympic performances would have won by well over 30 points, basically an 8 fall margin, while none of the performances would have even made the podium in Vancouver. And Miki's winning performance wouldnt have won a World title since the 80s probably, if we assume figures are out.

vCash
    So you are basically explaining how the whole event sucked and was embarassingly low quality. Which was my whole point anyway so what is yours exactly other than to just agree with me apparently. I never said anything about whether the result itself was right or wrong, frankly it was about sifting out the nicest looking piece of turd in the pile, and I am happy to leave that to do the judges as I wouldnt want to watch any of those performances (other than maybe Kostner's which was beautiful but didnt have the content to win) again. Like I said Yu Na's Olympic performances would have won by well over 30 points, basically an 8 fall margin, while none of the performances would have even made the podium in Vancouver. And Miki's winning performance wouldnt have won a World title since the 80s probably, if we assume figures are out.
    Yeah this year's worlds was a lot like 2008 in the respect that no one skated well in the FS, and the only lady who skated fairly well in the FS (Yuna in 08, Alena this year) was too far back after the SP to really deserve to win. It's a little dissapointing, but when I went back and watched the top 6 ladies freeskates, none of them were really that bad, and most of them were actually quite good, just not WOW. But I sort of expected it really, where Yuna took the whole season off, Mao was rebuilding, Miki was being conservative, Carolina was injured. I mean when you keep in mind Alissa won the GPF, Kanako medaled there, Sarah won Euros, and Miki won pretty much everything else, was anyone expecting to see great, technically groundbreaking skating at this year's worlds? I know I wasn't...
    Last edited by pinky166; 05-14-2011 at 03:03 AM.

vCash
    Lets hope the ladies really bring it next season because this year was lacking to say least. I want to see the ladies really push themselves when it comes to their jumps. There is no reason why they are not doing more 3-3 combo's.

vCash
    Well you cannot compare apple and orange. If you paid more attention, the rules are changed. There is no spiral in the SP, so take away 2-3 base point + possible GOE. That already leave out about 4-5 points in the SP. In the free skate spiral is cherographic one with no level, all skaters get the same base point. The GOE is down from +3 to +2, so given 7 jumping passes and non-jumps elements, GOE mark is already reduced by 1/3 or more.

The only event marked correctly and not super inflated is the men event in Vancouver. The other three is pretty much, super inflation and seem like one big promotion of the figure skating event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Lets hope the ladies really bring it next season because this year was lacking to say least. I want to see the ladies really push themselves when it comes to their jumps. There is no reason why they are not doing more 3-3 combo's.
    I think ladies traditionally always has been struggle with jumps department and only a handful ever do 3+3 combos. And when you have judges that are nippicking every degree of rotation, its hard to attemp.

vCash
    True, but on the other hand, the penalties are not as strict this now, with the UR and DG rules, and it does seem like we're seeing less than we did in the past. Kostner and Ando both used to do 3-3's regularly, right? As did Asada.

vCash
    I thought 2008 Ladies event was more exciting than this one. It wasn't a well-skated one but the top ladies really fought for that title. This year, it seemed as if no one really even wanted to win. Even Ando, who skated well, just appeared to feel relieved that she was the last one standing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    Well you cannot compare apple and orange. If you paid more attention, the rules are changed. There is no spiral in the SP, so take away 2-3 base point + possible GOE. That already leave out about 4-5 points in the SP. In the free skate spiral is cherographic one with no level, all skaters get the same base point. The GOE is down from +3 to +2, so given 7 jumping passes and non-jumps elements, GOE mark is already reduced by 1/3 or more.

The only event marked correctly and not super inflated is the men event in Vancouver. The other three is pretty much, super inflation and seem like one big promotion of the figure skating event.
    I am not just looking at scores, I am looking at the quality of skating. And despite missing elements, the men were scoring lights years higher than Vancouver, even factoring in the quads and that Chan is a much better skater than Lysacek. Scoring inflation/
    genorosity rises each year so that more than negates a spin taken away, etc...

I am sure Kim skating as she did in Vancouver would have beaten the field in Moscow by over 30 points. In fact there is a good chance even Nagasu skating as she did in Vancouver would have won Worlds, despite that her point total in Vancouver was lower than the Moscow winning point total (and that she came only 4th in Vancouver).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I thought 2008 Ladies event was more exciting than this one. It wasn't a well-skated one but the top ladies really fought for that title. This year, it seemed as if no one really even wanted to win. Even Ando, who skated well, just appeared to feel relieved that she was the last one standing.
    I agree. 2008 was far superior to 2011 even though it also wasnt the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I think the extended season had something to do with how this year's worlds panned out - everyone just seemed really tired and ready for the season to be over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    They were only champions once, but Bourne and Kraatz got world bronze four times (1996-99), silver in 2002 and won in 2003, but got no Olympic medals.
    If I remember correctly, they came in 4th in 2 of their Olympics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast