Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Anybody know who received the Choreographer of the Year Award and the Sports Science Award?

vCash
    KORI!

And Marina and Igor, the obvious choices.

vCash
    Very well deserved on all accounts!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Hooray for Kori! I was hoping Yuka and Jason would win but Igor and Marina do deserve it.
    Oh, yeah, I'd have loved for it to go to Yuka and Jason, too, but I can see the obvious argument for Igor and Marina.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    OK, I've heard unofficially that Kori Ade won USFS/PSA's Developmental Coach of the Year award. In addition to coaching Jason Brown to an impressive 9th place Senior debut at Nationals (and a 7th place finish at Junior Worlds), another student of hers, Jordan Moeller, won the Novice Men's silver medal.

ETA: And Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva reportedly did win the Coach of the Year award, as expected.
    I can confirm Kori Ade's and S&Z's awards.

I listed the award winners that I could remember here:
    http://skatingforums2.com/index.php/topic,1774.0.html

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Congrats to Frank Carroll for the Ritter Shumway award - well deserved: "Presented to a person in the skating world who has earned distinction for unending dedication and significant contribution to the world of figure skating."

And that a photo of Michelle's sprial wins for photo of the year!

And Yuka got the Sonja Henie award.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    And congratulations to Charles Fetter, my first skating coach ever in group lessons 40 years ago for winning the Betty Berens award.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Official press release of the winners was published today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46192
    The Coach(es) of the Year Award went to Marina Zoueva and Igor Shpilband, while Kori Ade was named Developmental Coach of the Year. Zoueva and Shpilband were double winners, as they also took home the Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year Award. The recipient of the Pieter Kollen Sport Science Coaching Award was Christy Krall.
    'EDI' AWARDS'

The 'Edi' Awards recognize the top performances in each discipline at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. They are given in recognition of Edi Scholdan, a World and Olympic coach and a first vice president of the PSA who perished in the plane crash that killed the 1961 U.S. World Figure Skating Team.

This year's winners are:

Ladies: Courtney Hicks ("Dark Eyes" short program)
    Men's: Ryan Bradley ("Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" short program)
    Pairs: Caitlin Yankowskas & John Coughlin ("Ave Maria" free skate)
    Ice Dancing: Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani ("The Carousel Waltz" short dance)
    Synchronized: Haydenettes ("Burlesque" free skate)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-31-2011 at 08:25 PM.

vCash
    Josh Babb - this is the first time a synchro coach has been nominated for one of these awards, yes? That's a big deal.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Tom Z has already won this award, so it likely won't be him (the year he had Jeremy, Ryan, and Brandon in the the top 4 at nationals for men and Rachael either first or second for the women). The coaches usually win according to their skaters' placements so I would say Zoueva/Shpilband and Christy Krall are shoe-ins.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Congrats to all the winners - especially KORI!

I was also kinda hoping for Yuka and Jason, but can't deny that it's been Igor and Marina's year
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    [QUOTE=genevieve;3197455]Congrats to all the winners - especially KORI!

Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one.
    Bill Murray
    Last edited by dupagegal; 05-31-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: url

vCash
    How insightful of you, Bill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one.
    Bill Murray
    Bitter much??
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Any links to the winning photo?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Congrats to Frank Carroll for the Ritter Shumway award - well deserved: "Presented to a person in the skating world who has earned distinction for unending dedication and significant contribution to the world of figure skating."

And that a photo of Michelle's sprial wins for photo of the year!

And Yuka got the Sonja Henie award.
    Congrats to all...and Frankie's award makes me smile..

Rach on, Kori!

vCash
    I thought the development coach could not have a skater who won a national title - does that mean a senior title? Jason Brown won the 2010 Junior Men's title.

Criteria:
    2011 U.S. Figure Skating/PSA Developmental Coach of the Year Award

In recognition of new talent and superior teaching technique for a coach who has a career record of helping athletes develop to higher levels of the sport and as human beings. A nominee for developmental coach must never have had a national champion and should be recognized for their work with skaters below the senior level.
    Her outstanding coaching this year was Jason's performances in Seniors, right? ... Don't get me wrong, I'm happy she won. I've never seen Moeller skate but I absolutely loved Jason Brown's skating.

vCash
    I think the rule only applies to national champions at the senior level. Plus, Jason has been skating at the junior level internationally all season long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I thought the development coach could not have a skater who won a national title - does that mean a senior title? Jason Brown won the 2010 Junior Men's title.

Criteria:

Her outstanding coaching this year was Jason's performances in Seniors, right? ... Don't get me wrong, I'm happy she won. I've never seen Moeller skate but I absolutely loved Jason Brown's skating.
    I think national champion is only senior -- they actually call it "Championship Ladies" "Championship Dance"... in the USFSA schedules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    Ahh I wouldn't go that far. She has been lucky with the talent she came across, I would say manager of the year because she is good at getting other people to help her with her students. Coaching actually requires you to know something about stuff like jumps.
    Interesting... Anyway, the future (e.g. Jason Brown´s further development as a skater and competitor) will show how good - or not so good - she is as a coach.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast